Financial statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial statement

I am back in court to have child support adjusted. When I fill out my financial statement do I need to include joint assets with my new spouse?
    Since the divorce I met someone new, she had assets (property and bank accounts) and we have since made all the accounts joint. She will not consent to the Ex having access to her financials so am I legally allowed to exclude the joint assets from the financial statement?

Thanks

Originally posted by Wayne770 View Post
    I am back in court to have child support adjusted. When I fill out my financial statement do I need to include joint assets with my new spouse?
    Since the divorce I met someone new, she had assets (property and bank accounts) and we have since made all the accounts joint. She will not consent to the Ex having access to her financials so am I legally allowed to exclude the joint assets from the financial statement?

Thanks
    Nope, they go on. If they are joint accounts, you are half-owner of the asset, and must declare it. If your new spouse didn't want this to happen, she shouldn't have added you onto them.

Comment

separate your accounts and assets, take your portion out (the lesser portion) and stick that in your financial statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne770 View Post

Thanks
        If the accounts are joint, information about them is not just her financial information, it's your financial information too because you own half of the assets. If you want those assets excluded from your financial statement you need to make sure they're not partially yours, i.e. that her name is the only one on those assets.

Comment

New question: my partner and I have no joint accounts BUT we split the bills with him paying the mortgage, taxes and insurance and me paying utilities and groceries. For his financial statement, do I halve the bills?

Comment

As far as I understand it, yes, that's what you do; he puts half of all the expenses on his financial statement.

Even if you have a different system worked out between yourselves, such as he pays utilities and you pay mortgage and don't worry if it isn't perfectly equal, he still puts half the expenses on the disclosure.

His expenses are less for being shared with another earning adult.

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

Another question!

Theres a line that says "support for other children", does his cs go in there or is it applicable on the financial statement?

(Yes he has a lawyer but we're doing as much paperwork as possible to save money as lawyer is traveling for the case).

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                  Another question!

Theres a line that says "support for other children", does his cs go in there or is it applicable on the financial statement?

(Yes he has a lawyer but we're doing as much paperwork as possible to save money as lawyer is traveling for the case).
                  I'm thinking that would be if he pays CS for other children, not the ones involved in the court action at hand. CS for a previous child in a previous order would be a predetermined expense, as much as the utility bill is, for determining the financial picture for a new order for different children.

That's only a guess though. Definitely do more research.

Comment

Ok

I thought it was weird she didnt put cs on her forms.

Comment

Yikes! I wasnt able to attend my partners appt yesterday where he signed all the forms for his response. The lawyer didnt include his rrsp and resp on his financial statement. Its gone out to be served. Is this right and how does it get fixed?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X