Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Issues and what should I do?

After long time stugglling the relationship, we decided to separate/divorce. Now we are living the Condo Apartment, which my husband bought using his name. As I don't have inputs on the down payments and morgages on this apartment, as I am paying an other apartment which is under my name. Currently this apartment is rented out.

Should I move out once we start to separate or am I obligate to move out? I don't have any place to live yet so far. Can I claim anything from the current resident condo? we have been married over 5 years.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hong

Hi Hong and welcome to the forums!

Whether to move out of your home is actually one of the most critical strategic decisions that needs to be made when a person separates. You really need to sit down with a lawyer and discuss your situation in detail before you can decide whether to move out. If you move out and it's not a good idea, you can end up spending many months and thousands of dollars trying to undo the damage to your legal case.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Yes I would agree that you need to think this through carefully after discussing your options with your lawyer. Trust me you do not want ot make any quick or uninformed decisions.

Comment

Should I buy some place before we separate or after?

Thank you, Jeff and Kconection, for your advice!

We don't have many common assets or proprity to split up. I was thinking I may just bring my belongings and leave. I don't have intention to split his asset or home or furniture etc. However, I need to have some place (I prefer to buy over rent) to live. My question here is: should I buy before the separation is effective or after? As I don't want to live the same place with him after our separation. We don't have children.

As I don't have complicated case, do I still need lawyer for this?

Thank you again,

HONG

Originally posted by Hong
        After long time stugglling the relationship, we decided to separate/divorce. Now we are living the Condo Apartment, which my husband bought using his name. As I don't have inputs on the down payments and morgages on this apartment, as I am paying an other apartment which is under my name. Currently this apartment is rented out.

Should I move out once we start to separate or am I obligate to move out? I don't have any place to live yet so far. Can I claim anything from the current resident condo? we have been married over 5 years.

Thank you very much for your help!

Hong

Comment

Hong, I’m a big supporter of people helping themselves in a divorce. But I think that it almost always makes sense to spend at least an hour or so with a lawyer when you separate, just to make sure that you understand how the law applies to your case and how you should proceed with resolving the issues.
          Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X