This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a marriage just simply be dissolved over time

I am Canadian from Ontario and have been living outside the country for the past 7 years. Before I left, my wife and I had been separated for nearly a year, but just did not bother to get around to legal divorce proceedings. We agreed to split up, and did not have child custody or support issues to deal with. I returned to Canada to live in December 2005. I have said hello to her and there are no hard feelings etc. She has her own life. We were hoping that perhaps there is some law that has kicked in that, due to our time apart, and lack of confontational divorce proceedings, that would see our former marriage just simply dissolved. Neither of us really wants to go through any legal proceedings if unnecessary. I intend to bring my common-law wife from another country to live here in Canada and just need to find out where we stand legally at this point. Thanks a lot.

Actually, I get asked this question a lot. In short, no, there's no such law. Only a court can end a marriage by granting a divorce.
    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

This link may help:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/unconte...ce-ontario.htm

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X