X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO enforcement, how screwed am I?

• Married 2011, Separated 2014, Divorced 2015
    • One child (s4) 39.5/60.5 in favor of ex, joint legal custody
    • Her income 80k, mine ~14k (imputed @ 25k)
    • Support (to her) $200 child,~$225 s7 (monthly)

I'm 3 months behind on support payments and my ex has just informed me that she's filed our separation agreement with the FRO. I lost my old job before the separation and struggled to find work while dealing with depression and other medical issues after the divorce while living off a small lump sum property/spousal settlement. Found a 1 bedroom apartment, my son gets the bedroom and I sleep on the couch.

Aside from a few shifts a year from my old job, I didn't have income for a while, and when my support ran out and I was facing eviction, I had to go on Ontario Works (welfare) in August of this year. I was paying and current on my support until then. I finally found a job in late August of this year, it's part time (28-32hrs/wk) but has a benefits package (in 6 months, extra $) and the possibility of promotion and full time work. Welfare gets clawed back somewhat because of the part time job, but I need it for medical benefits to cover my medication costs.

My rent alone is $1059 (Toronto..sigh) and I'm only pulling in about $1400 or so per month between the job and welfare. I let my ex know in August that I couldn't afford to pay support, but that I would try and work something out. She seemed understanding, I tried to work out a repayment schedule with amounts to be determined once I could figure out my monthly income with the new job and welfare, but have been served with N4's (Notice to evict for not paying rent) constantly since August, and any spare cash has gone to keeping a roof over my head. Ex has no sympathy and has now filed our separation agreement with the FRO. I have no assets, savings and am still not current on rent (owe $600 still for Nov).

What will happen next and how soon? I've heard 30-60 days for FRO to contact me, I assume they will immediately garnish wages. Is there any relief or reduction available via the FRO?

Can I file for a motion to change the SA? (I'll be self rep, her daddy will pay for top $$ lawyer)

Will my circumstances be considered financial hardship, or will the FRO and the courts not care?

If I file a motion to change, is that process concurrent with the FRO process? Will garnishing kick in before the motion is heard and ruled on?

Can I only file motion to change for finances, or and I try to get to 40% at the same time (would shift support from $200 to her to $600+ to me, and I would be able to claim child care expenses, UCCB, dependant, all of which she currently gets 100% of)?

What's my next move? How screwed am I?

.....is there a reason why you didn't go for 50-50? Also, you should be asking for spousal support since she is the highest earner. If the shoe was on the other foot, you can damn well believe that she would be coming after ya

Comment

You will need to show proof of your job search efforts and demonstrate why you are only working part time. Youre in Toronto. You should be able to find work. Start getting your financial house in order, your emotional well being in order and get another job. FRO will not touch your workfare funds and they will work out a payment schedule. Youve had almost two years to reach your imputed income. The judge will expect an answer.

Comment

I tried my best. Her daddy was fully prepared to bankroll a trial during the separation, she refused all offers of mediation and negotiation and dragged her heels until the trial conference when the judge forced her into it. Once there, she simply refused to budge. I was self rep at the time, sick, depressed and living the basement of the marital home to avoid losing custody chances. I took the separation agreement offer at 39.5/60.5 with a clause to reopen in 2018. I did ok with written submissions, but my experiences at the settlement, case and trial conferences suggested that I'd be bringing a knife to a gun fight going to trial against a $500/hr lawyer on my own. They waved an extra 10k if a settlement was reached before trial, and I took the bait. Maybe it was foolish, maybe cowardly, but the whole experience was toxic and I wanted out.

Comment

Have my son 2 days a week and every other weekend. Working ~30 hrs a week as it is. Not much room for a 2nd job.

Comment

You need to be working full time. Married parents have full time jobs. Divorced parents have full time jobs. You should be working enough to meet your imputed wage. No court will say you dont have to pay or that you can get away with less than 20g with non full time custody.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Would love to find it, but 9-5 full time for a 45 year old with HS diploma is a unicorn. Any answers to my questions?

Comment

Originally posted by 416Dad39 View Post
                What will happen next and how soon?
                It takes about three months but expect a letter stating you owe the months you haven't paid and a note that they will be contacting your employer to garnish your wages.

Is there any relief or reduction available via the FRO?
                They will follow whatever order is filed and will not change or modify it. You can work out a payment plan but you still owe the money and it accumulates monthly.

Can I file for a motion to change the SA? (I'll be self rep, her daddy will pay for top $$ lawyer)
                You can try but you've already been imputed. It doesn't matter who she has representing her or what her war chest is like. You owe child support and you will need to demonstrate your efforts to pay this. Your excuse wont fly. Get a job. Get two jobs. Get three.

Will my circumstances be considered financial hardship, or will the FRO and the courts not care?
                This isn't financial hardship. You are physically able to get work. A judge wont care what your excuse is. FRO enforces the order, they don't make cs decisions.

If I file a motion to change, is that process concurrent with the FRO process? Will garnishing kick in before the motion is heard and ruled on?
                FRO will enforce your order until a new one is filed. The costs will add up. Motions take months and there is no guarantee you will win.

Can I only file motion to change for finances, or and I try to get to 40% at the same time (would shift support from $200 to her to $600+ to me, and I would be able to claim child care expenses, UCCB, dependant, all of which she currently gets 100% of)?
                If you try to change custody to avoid child support it wont work. If your ex has a large war chest and good lawyer, it wont work. You agreed to full custody to her, changing it is very difficult and next to impossible.

What's my next move? How screwed am I?
                If you start looking at how to improve your financial situation youre not screwed at all. Get a better job. Get a new job. Get two jobs. You have an obligation to pay cs. Before you say Im harsh or cruel, my partner is educated and middle aged and was out of work for two years. He worked two menial jobs below his education and paid his cs including overpayments the entire time.

Comment

You can file a motion to change, but you will have to prove the change. If you are on welfare, speak to your worker, they may have a lawyer to assist you. Seriously, I cannot believe you are paying support, there is a reason they did the 39.5% access and its a joke. Start with your case worker and see. Do they know your current access arrangement? If she should be paying you support they will help you get that support. You essentially have a 2-2-5 custody arrangement, which is when offset support kicks in.

Anyone can file with FRO and FRO will work with you IF you work with them. That being said, you will have to prove your job searches. There are always places hiring, even at min wage, you could make your support obligations.

Comment

Thanks for the followup answering q's, rockscan. Keep in mind that I do have two jobs right now. Finding a third to mesh with part time shifts that change on a weekly basis is tricky. I can look for full time employment, but I feel the quickest path to that is to stick with the part time job that will get me there eventually and to pick up as many extra shifts as I can (which I've been doing).

I'm not going to say you're harsh or cruel, but I'm guessing that your partner had access to credit, EI, housing and other support that gave them a leg up in the first place. I started out flat broke, no credit, no CC's, no EI, no health benefits, no housing. Rock bottom. Trying to claw my way back.

Comment

My partners ei ran out, we live in a high unemployment area and his ex demanded s7 expenses that were astronomical and eventually turned his kids against him. He didn't qualify for welfare or disability and had to depend on his income and his savings to pay his cs. He had limited credit and refused support from anyone. Two years of high cs with no employment and day to day expenses took its toll. He used all his savings and retirement funds and he's closer to retirement than you are. He applied for everything. Imagine having a masters degree and begging for a job at pet smart. Thats where he was at. Over 800 jobs applied to, all the cold calls and friends we could reach out to, interviews in other cities, uncertainty of where we would live, job fairs after surgery. The list goes on. He even hurt his shoulder, back and feet at one of the jobs and he was not eligible for any benefits. Its going to take him the next three years to fix those issues. Everyone has a sob story and struggles they face.

You need to take a good hard long look at your life and start digging your way out of your hole. No excuses or buts. Only you can fix this and it will be hard and ugly. If it means paying arrears to FRO for the next five years, thats what you have to do. Don't waste your money on another court fight. Start thinking about where you want to be and how you're going to get there.

Comment

Don't mind paying arrears, always accepted that I would and will. Question is can I work out a payment schedule with the FRO that will stave off eviction and pay less (it would be below current support figure) monthly until I can get more income, or do I have to go through the courts to work out that repayment? All sources unclear on that so far.

Comment

You would be much further ahead (in the eyes of FRO) if you were to register with them before your ex does. You can access loads of information on the internet about FRO and VAPs.

With that said, FRO (or any other maintenance enforcement agency) only enforces current orders. If you want to change support you have to get a court order. However, FRO will likely be a heck of a lot easier to deal with if you can prove to them that you are currently in the process of seeking an order to change.

Remember - FRO has probably heard every version in existence of "my dog ate my homework" when it comes to excuses for not paying court-ordered support. You will not 'pull the wool over their eyes'.... you will try to make an arrangement for the arrears and if you honor your agreement they will not advance more aggressive collection actions.

All the information you need on FRO is online.

Failing this your next option would be a motion for a stay of enforcement. Again, you can get information about that on the FRO website.

Comment

Originally posted by 416Dad39;214371[B
                            ]Have my son 2 days a week and every other weekend[/B]. Working ~30 hrs a week as it is. Not much room for a 2nd job.
                            I think this is what you need to focus on in your motion to change. You have shared access if you truly have your son 2 days EVERY week and every other weekend... there is no reason YOU should be paying support, despite what you signed off on. Seek a change in CS based on the status quo access arrangement of shared custody. Again, if what you are saying is true and you truly have your son 2 days a week (and not just for a couple hours two days a week), this is what you should focus on.

Comment

Originally posted by 416Dad39 View Post
                              Have my son 2 days a week and every other weekend. Working ~30 hrs a week as it is. Not much room for a 2nd job.
                              How did you decide that you have the kids 39.5% of the time? Did her lawyer tell you that? When do you actually have them? We can do the math for you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X