Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexist Child Benefit Policy

No surprise here eh

An Ottawa father is accusing the Canada Revenue Agency of jumping to outdated conclusions after it was assumed his common-law wife should receive the child benefits for his two sons from a previous relationship.
    Jason Beaudoin says CRA has assumed his live-in partner is the boys' primary caregiver, because the agency told him he needs her permission in order to have the Canada child benefit payments made out to him instead.
    Ottawa dad urges Canada Revenue Agency to rethink 'sexist' child benefit policy - Ottawa - CBC News

This is true.

I get child tax benefits every other year. I spoke with CRA and since I have a penis, my girlfriend has to be the one to receive the money deposited in to her account. Even the CRA rep told me it was primitive and archaic, but it's the law.

I handle all the finances regarding my daughter in my current relationship .. I just have the wrong chromosomes I guess.

Comment

She doesn't 'have to', but you do need to apply to have it directed to you.

Comment

My ex gets half the child benefits and I know for sure that he's not female, so yes, it is possible for men to receive them. It may be a matter of calling CRA back persistently a couple of times until you get a co-operative agent on the other end who can make the changes (I think my ex also needed to fax a copy of Kid's birth certificate with his name on it, along with the divorce order showing 50/50).

Comment

You are missing the point here...read the article again. The guy has the kids!

I also get half from CRA based on 50-50 custody, with the only document needed from me being the divorce order

Originally posted by stripes View Post
          My ex gets half the child benefits and I know for sure that he's not female, so yes, it is possible for men to receive them. It may be a matter of calling CRA back persistently a couple of times until you get a co-operative agent on the other end who can make the changes (I think my ex also needed to fax a copy of Kid's birth certificate with his name on it, along with the divorce order showing 50/50).

Comment

Its actually only sexism when it negatively affects women

Comment

^ Foregone conclusion!

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                She doesn't 'have to', but you do need to apply to have it directed to you.
                I've documented every communication with CRA. I've now spoken with 4 different agents and they all said it's the law, that I can't apply no matter what. They said it's a pretty strict legislation that my common law g/f get the cash. I suppose I could call and speak more but I'm pretty sure its a brick wall.

Comment

Keep escalating up. Ask to speak to managers or supervisors. Tell them that you want to find out how to establish that you are an "eligible individual" (the magic words) to receive the benefit associated with Kid. An "eligible individual" is one who is a legal parent or guardian, who lives with the child on an equal or near-equal basis, and who is primarily responsible for the care of the child when the child is living with that person.

The current child benefit evolved out of "baby bonuses" which mothers were signed up for as soon as they delivered their baby at the hospital. This made sense at the time : there's no ambiguity about whether a woman who has just given birth is indeed the parent of the child, and shared-custody families were almost unheard-of, so it was assumed the mother would always be residing full-time with the child. Now time have changed. But it is definitely possible to establish that a male parent is an "eligible individual", it just takes persistence.

Comment

Yea I figured it had a function in the past. I'm not on the whole "sexism" boat although I do find it strange that this legislation hasn't been updated. I also spoke to a supervisor at the CRA and was told that what the CRA reps are in fact telling me is the truth. I've even written a letter to CRA and received a letter back saying the same thing. As you can see I've spent more time and energy on this than I care to.

I think I've come to the conclusion that my D5's step mom gets my money for her and that's it. Laws are updated all the time .. I find it silly that this one hasn't been.

Comment

Insane how this works.

On the other side I can tell you about something that used to happen to single women:

When I was a young teenager I worked at the Hudson's Bay Company part-time. I was blown away that at that time a woman could not get a credit card if she was married - had to be under her husband's name even if the woman had a job! Also, if you were a single mature woman your chances of getting a credit card were pretty well non-existent.

Fast forward 30 years. When I separated I had a difficult time getting car insurance under my name as it had always been under my husband's name. I never thought much about this as my husband had been dealing with the same insurance company/agency for decades and when we were married he simply added me onto his policy. I was only able to get insurance as I personally happened know the owner of an insurance agency.

It would not surprise me in the least to find out that there still exists a bias in credit granting (typically credit granting banks and department stores give points for marital status but they just don't tell you about it....they will instead say that they look at household income.... lame).

Comment

Assuming your girlfriend also believes the money should go to you and not her, she can call them and explain that the child is not hers to recieve CCTB for as she is nit the parent and direct them to send the money to you rather than her.

Comment

This is analogous to apartheid. State institutionalized discrimination....

This is the government OPENLY saying Mothers are Parents and fathers are not.

This is just another SMALL example of what it takes to be a father today.

This is what happens when there are only feminist government funded groups to fight for rights of women and none to help men.

I believe though this can actually be contested in a court of law and won on the basis of discrimination. If this ever happens to me, I would have contested it in court if necessary.

Comment

The problem of child benefits in shared custody - Macleans.ca

Comment

I have been asked to prove I am eligible for these child tax benefits twice now in last few years, the first time i had to mail them the same documents back 3 times before they gave in, second time I just sent in the letter from the school and my court order of primary residence, and filled out the forms best I could and they never contested.

I am a bit confused on this issue, so is it that women do not have to go through this ordeal? Just men?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X