This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for dads (or moms) fighting for equal parenting

I've recently come across a great group that is advocating for equal parenting. You should check it out, at least watch the video..warning though, it had me in tears..don't watch at work!

Injustice In Motion

That is clearly a website for dads, not moms... and none of the claims made in that video are cited or sourced at all. I am not saying they are untrue, just that if you are going to make a video that is full of statistical claims, it is important to give people the information they need to a) check for themselves, and b) learn more.

Comment

It took less than 30 seconds for me to find articles that cite the source materials for those statistics. The video is meant to be emotional and rhetorical. If anyone wanted a) check for themselves and b) learn more, they could very easily. Start here and here.

Comment

This is how it's done:
        Statistics on Fatherless Children in America

My point was that the onus is on the person making the claims to provide the source, rather than making the reader go hunting.

Comment

I think you've missed the point of this thread entirely.

Comment

Obviously! The point is that this is a good group fighting for Equal Parenting. The video is meant to inspire parents (dads AND moms) to make sure BOTH parents are in their child's life.

No wonder we need groups like this...sad...

Comment

No kidding.

Comment

OK wait a sec. All I said was that a) the site was clearly for dads and not for moms, and b) the video was putting forth a lot of stats that were not backed up. I said clearly that I wasn't saying they were untrue, but they were being used to support a position that was clearly much more about Dads than about equal parenting.
                I would wager that the website in question would offer more support to a single father raising kids with an absent mom than it would to a single mother in the absence of the father. I also bet it would offer more support to a dad trying to get access to his kids than to a mom in the same boat. In my view, that is actually FINE, because the website is called Not All Dads Are Deadbeats - it is clearly a site for DADS. As a mom, I would never go there for support, however much I supported equal parenting. I would hardly expect to be met with sympathy if I went there with problems in trying to get a disinterested father to pay attention to his kids, or trying to get a dad to contribute financially to their care and upbringing (which is a significant part of parenting).

Comment

Seems reasonable to not go to that website for support given that you are a mom. However, to state that you would not be given sympathy because you are a mom on that site is argumentative at best, and an insult to men at worst.

I believe that most people can be unbiased with respect to advice with separation and kids regardless of their gender or yours.

Comment

Although one may not go there to get support, even if you believe strongly in it, there is much to be said for those who go there with the sole purpose of giving support. If more people did, it would certainly help tip the scales in the right direction.

It's not always about what you can get for yourself, many find the best way to get what you need is by giving what you can.

Comment

Instead of making assumptions, why not check out the site?

I did, and that's why I'm advocating it. I've become friends with the guy who started the site..you are wrong, there are just as many mothers on there as fathers. He doesn't need to continue fighting for equal rights, he has them. Giving back is EXACTLY what this site is all about. They are working to ensure that all kids get the chance to have to involved parents.

Comment

Billiechic, Great video thanks.

Comment

Thank-you

I'm a grown man, and I am ready to cry after watching this...

Thank-you.

Comment

Being here ... Good site.

For thous who said that site for DADs I would say that site for Equal Parenting and just because Equal Parenting question bring up I would think in 99.99% by DADs does not mean site for DADs...

Site first of all for KIDs and I would say for MOMs to see what do they do to their KIDs by destroying DADs life and damage they couse to their own KIDs by taking their DADs away form them ...

and did you notice one of the comments under the video?

Comment

OK so if THIS is true:

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                              Being here ... Good site.

For thous who said that site for DADs I would say that site for Equal Parenting and just because Equal Parenting question bring up I would think in 99.99% by DADs does not mean site for DADs...
                              Then why does THIS comment follow it?

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                              Site first of all for KIDs and I would say for MOMs to see what do they do to their KIDs by destroying DADs life and damage they couse to their own KIDs by taking their DADs away form them ...
                              Besides, the site is not CALLED "Equal Parenting". It is CALLED "Not All Dads are Deadbeats"... obviously this is a stereotype that the creators of the website feel needs to be addressed (not to mention being a tad defensive). Should we not also address the stereotype of the "Alienating Mothers"?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X