• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex having relationship problems

Basics:

We have 5 year old daughter
    Seperated when daughter was 1
    Had EOW until she was 4, then had EOW until tuesday instead
    In May my ex moved 2 hours away with her boyfriend and I had a costs award against me. We went back to an EOW schedule where I pick our daughter up Friday and my ex picks her up Sunday.

Daughter told me last weekend that her moms boyfriend's brother punched a hole in her door.
    Told me that last time Mommy picked her up they went to her parents for 3 nights (school nights and her mom lives 3 hours from her school) because Mom and boyfriend were fighting.
    D5 told me that Moms boyfriend yells at mom alot and sometimes yells at mom and her.
    Also told me that he hits her(D5)

Also ex just lost her drivers license last week(she waited to renew her G2 until last minute and failed he road test, now she has no license). What to do when she gets to the point of having nobody else to drive Sundays to pick up our daughter, as I know that Nanny will not want to do that drive all the time.

I reported the fact that our daughter told me that mommys boyfriend hit our daughter to CAS.
    It is hard as our daughter views my place as a sort of sanctuary for her as a constant and stable place, and when bad stuff is going on she gets very very clingy to me to the point where she has trouble letting me go.

I should also mention, this relationship is about 1 1/2 years long so far, and it started right after her last live in relationship. My ex does not know how to be single and she is pregnant again.

Comment

Originally posted by fireweb13 View Post
      Basics:

We have 5 year old daughter
      Seperated when daughter was 1
      Had EOW until she was 4, then had EOW until tuesday instead
      In May my ex moved 2 hours away with her boyfriend and I had a costs award against me. We went back to an EOW schedule where I pick our daughter up Friday and my ex picks her up Sunday.

Daughter told me last weekend that her moms boyfriend's brother punched a hole in her door.
      Told me that last time Mommy picked her up they went to her parents for 3 nights (school nights and her mom lives 3 hours from her school) because Mom and boyfriend were fighting.
      D5 told me that Moms boyfriend yells at mom alot and sometimes yells at mom and her.
      Also told me that he hits her(D5)

Also ex just lost her drivers license last week(she waited to renew her G2 until last minute and failed he road test, now she has no license). What to do when she gets to the point of having nobody else to drive Sundays to pick up our daughter, as I know that Nanny will not want to do that drive all the time.

I reported the fact that our daughter told me that mommys boyfriend hit our daughter to CAS.
      It is hard as our daughter views my place as a sort of sanctuary for her as a constant and stable place, and when bad stuff is going on she gets very very clingy to me to the point where she has trouble letting me go.
      Be sure to tell the CAS case worker about the hole in the wall that should be present at the other parent's residence. They will look to see if the damage is there and may help them figure things out.

CAS is a very high-conflict way to go with this sort of thing. It can often backfire as it can always be used against you should they make no finding.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        CAS is a very high-conflict way to go with this sort of thing. It can often backfire as it can always be used against you should they make no finding.

Good Luck!
        Tayken
        Completely agree, but when you find out that a hole has been punched in her door, and that she is being hit by her moms boyfriend I think it is the least high conflict way I could go about resolving this issue lol. Great self restraint was needed.

Comment

at to do when she gets to the point of having nobody else to drive Sundays to pick up our daughter, as I know that Nanny will not want to do that drive all the time.
          Not your problem. If you have an order stating she is to pick up to being HER time, then it's her headache. If she raises a stink, you can use it to show her situation as not stable, especially if you can get CAS on board.

If the child reports the boyfriend hit her, then take her to the doctor to be checked just in case. If the doc finds any evidence of abuse, they are LEGALLY obligated to report it. It'll hold a LOT more weight coming from the doctor than with you. You may want to start documenting your child when they arrive if this seems to be an ongoing issue. (Ie. scratches/bruises/etc when she enters your care, as well as anything when she leaves it). It'll both protect YOU if CAS tries to pin it on you, as well as can be used in court to show a history of issues.

If you are heading back to court, you may want to try to amend your order so the boyfriend isn't allowed alone with her. If the abuse allegations continue, you then proceed to "isn't allowed near her at all" and ask for an order of protection. (Would be useful to involve the police if it gets that far)

Comment

I will absolutly start to document things more in regards to this.

I know that her not being able to drive anymore is not "My" legal problem, but in the near future I see her telling me that she will not let me pick up our daughter unless I bring her back on Sundays. I know this is not what the order states but what are the chances that if I brought it to court anything would happen. So far I believe that the judge would say since I have a license and a car I can do the driving since she cannot anymore.

Comment

You then ask for support to be offset by the cost of gas/wear and tear on your vehicle due to her not having a license.

If she denies access, you follow the process in place that has been outlined a number of times. (Respond only that you will be exercising your parenting time as per the order, and then show up. If the child is not available, you go to the nearest store, buy a pack of gum and get a receipt (shows date/time and location) and text/call her to indicate you will be coming back at X time to pick up the child.

If the child is STILL not made available, you go home and send her an email indicating her denial of access and requesting that she provide for make up time immediately. If she doesn't respond, you rinse and repeat until you have 2-3 occurrences of denial of access/contempt.

You then file a contempt of court motion asking for costs, for a custody change given her inability to promote the relationship between the child and yourself (you won't get this right away), or alternately make up time for the time you missed (be specific...request specific extra weekends, or an extra week in the summer, etc) AND a police enforcement clause.

You'll get the contempt and maybe costs/make up time. Rinse and repeat for future occurrences and eventually you'll get the clause and/or a custody change.

Comment

Thank you for that NBDad. I could see her getting an order not being able to drive, except for the fact that she moved 2 hours away because her boyfriend has a job there and he does not work Sundays, so he could do the driving. So far she likes to make me be the one to take us to court. So document a few weekends and then go from there. Its all a what if situation right now but its a likely what if situation. She is not happy that I get 1 week at christmas so I could see her causing problems

Comment

It's a very very slow process. You need to build the pattern of willful contempt of the order. Eventually she'll either wise up and get tired of paying you costs/losing in court, OR she'll keep doing it and lose custody.

The judges are going to give her break, after break, after break, simply because she's female. Eventually, they'll get tired of seeing you guys because she's being retarded, and then the hammer will start to come down. Takes months, if not years though.

Keep fighting the good fight, document the hell out of EVERYTHING, and practice Radio Silence unless it's about the child and absolutely necessary to respond.

Comment

I think that because the judges give her break after break after break is why she feels that she can do whatever she wants. Back in 2009 a week after my father passed away she accused myself as well as everyone in my family of molesting our daughter. This was right before christmas, the CAS and police said that if she continues to deny access that they will place our child in foster care, I lost 3 months of time with our daughter including christmas, got no make up time, no court costs and she was found to be in contempt. It blew, but our daughter had an awesome christmas in February where lots of family came out and we got a christmas tree and so on and so forth. It takes alot to move forward but it sure is worth it.

Comment

This was right before christmas, the CAS and police said that if she continues to deny access that they will place our child in foster care, I lost 3 months of time with our daughter including christmas, got no make up time, no court costs and she was found to be in contempt. It blew, but our daughter had an awesome christmas in February where lots of family came out and we got a christmas tree and so on and so forth. It takes alot to move forward but it sure is worth it.
                      And as your daughter gets older THAT is what she is going to remember. That you did everything in your power to make sure she was taken care of and had a good life.

As for the rest of it, yes it sucks, but try and look at it for what it is...a gift. Your ex has shown a pattern of malicious behavior, that you can prove vis a vis false allegations to the police and CAS. Not only did she deny access...she did so by involving TWO organizations that keep records. Records that can be used against her in court. People that can be used as witnesses.

Keep hammering at her, keep your proverbial boot on her throat and don't let her up for air.

Comment

So I just got the email. I am supposed to pick up our daughter at school today, my ex has told me that she came down with a terrible flu overnight and that I cannot pick her up today. Please help as I am trying to work but I am so frustrated. We have christmas plans this weekend as its the only time the family can all get together.

Comment

I would send a simple email saying:

"Thank you for letting me know about D being sick. I will stop by the [local pharmacy] and pick up some flu medication for her. I will be over at [prescribed time] to pick her up."

If she tries to reply with saying you can't have her because she is sick, I would state that:

"While I do understand and appreciate that D is not well, I am equally as capable of tending to a sick child as the next parent. Therefore and I don't believe that having the flu is reason in itself to restrict my parenting time. Should you have any concerns, I am willing to listen. However, I believe being a parent is tending to the children not just when they are healthy but when they are ill.

I will be at [prescribed place] at [prescribed time] to exercise my parenting time with D."

Don't tell her about your families plans. A) she has no right to know and B) it will only backfire on you as she will say you're being selfish and only thinking about yourself...blah blah blah....

Just reinforce that you are equally as capable for looking after a sick kid as she is. She is comfortable in your house and you intend on exercising your parenting time.

Comment

So how did it turn out?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X