X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good examples of "submitted" court forms

Hey all.

I've looked on CanLII a lot, and I've tried searching on the net in other places too...

What I'm really looking for, are some examples of court forms (various) that people have filled out before. ex. Here is a motion to change, that someone had filled out. Here is a "contempt motion" that someone filed with the court, and how they outlined that.

Are there any examples online of this? Is this available anywhere? I guess one could request to see court records, from a court house, but wouldn't I have to know who's case I wanted to see?

I see that Ontario at least, has "guides" for filling out the forms, but I'm really the type of person, who needs to see examples first... I thought maybe that stuff was on CanLii, but I guess not.

Any other good sources, to see the forms filled out?

These are all public documents once they are filed, unless there was some reason to seal it. A good plan would be to search Canlii for cases that were heard in your local court. Find cases that involved some of the same issues you are facing. Then go to the court and pull those files. You will see how the forms were filled out, how the arguments were worded, etc etc.

To be thorough, do a search of local lawyer's names as well. Pay attention to the judge's decision and note which side won. Look at several cases and see the difference between a sloppy submission and a well written one. Often the judge's comments may reflect this.

If you are going to self rep this kind of research will be invaluable. Consider it a full time job for a few weeks and plan on spending days working in the courthouse. Also, try to sit in on a few motion hearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
      These are all public documents once they are filed, unless there was some reason to seal it. A good plan would be to search Canlii for cases that were heard in your local court. Find cases that involved some of the same issues you are facing. Then go to the court and pull those files. You will see how the forms were filled out, how the arguments were worded, etc etc.

To be thorough, do a search of local lawyer's names as well. Pay attention to the judge's decision and note which side won. Look at several cases and see the difference between a sloppy submission and a well written one. Often the judge's comments may reflect this.

If you are going to self rep this kind of research will be invaluable. Consider it a full time job for a few weeks and plan on spending days working in the courthouse. Also, try to sit in on a few motion hearings.
      I second this advice. CanLII should be the starting place to find relevant case law and then you can then go to the court house and read the file for yourself. Call ahead as they may need to pull the materials from records for you. It is about 1$ a page to copy anything while at the court house.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        I second this advice. CanLII should be the starting place to find relevant case law and then you can then go to the court house and read the file for yourself. Call ahead as they may need to pull the materials from records for you. It is about 1$ a page to copy anything while at the court house.
        I was always wondering did anyone tried to come to court with laptop and scanner ? Will it also cost 1$ a page?

I mean you can sit and review file there for free... May be I should try it my self. there is couple of files in our court what I would like to see

I had a feeleing that nobody will be able to answer that question as it looks like that I am the one who always ask something never asked before... Like last time I asked can take photo of pages of my continuing record so I do not have to pay for copy and save paper...

WD

Comment

Did they let you take the photos?

Comment

Originally posted by FaithandMorals View Post
            Did they let you take the photos?
            Yep
            they asked several clerk and basically came to conclusion that - "we do not see why you can not"... so I took and and saved 4 sheet of paper and 4 buks )

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
              Yep
              they asked several clerk and basically came to conclusion that - "we do not see why you can not"... so I took and and saved 4 sheet of paper and 4 buks )
              There is a great app out there on both Android and iPhone that can take a photo of a document and turn it into a pdf and even OCR it I think.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X