Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assault: are things always as they seem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault: are things always as they seem?

I brought this up in another thread but I would like to stoke some conversation here on the issue of how we see things, men, women, people in positions of authority. I saw this on ABC News.

Reaction To Women Abusing Men In Public - YouTube

What do you think?

Many people, even the cop, seemed to think that the woman's anger was not that dangerous. I wonder if the actor man had shown more emotion (fear, sadness) or made an attempt to leave if people would have jumped in more.

It seems as though the woman was not deemed dangerous and therefore the man was not identified as being in danger. Interesting.

Comment

It is sad about the double standard. If roles were reversed and there was even minor abuse, I bet there would be a totally different reaction.

One of my cousins friends that is like a brother to me, was dating this girl... one night she beat him up... he had to get many stitches and was black and blue. He was 6'3" and a very built guy... his gf was maybe 120lbs... but she successfully beat him up... he didn't fight back and was hesitant to restrain her for fear that he would be the one accused of abuse. Since he went to the hospital they reported the incident but nothing was really done... according to him the police told him that he was big enough he could have gotten away if he wanted to...

Comment

I found the video very disturbing, even though it was staged by actors. Abuse is very upsetting to me, in any way, shape or form.

Comment

That video really really made me angry.An assault is an assault.Often law abiding people will take whatever is done to them rather than even attempt to defend themselves.Now take another spin on this woman, clearly having no problem attacking her partner in public.What about if this woman had children?What would someone who had no problem attacking a grown man who was physically able to withstand some of that assault,do to a child?

That weirdo doing the rocky moves was just disturbing.Normal people shy from violence in real life ....she enjoyed it. A disturbing video all in all.Just incase..if someone asked that man, did he require assistance and he said yes......That person could have made a citizens arrest against that woman and restrained her until the police came.Obviously you would have to call the police straight away and use only as much force as was needed.All of us can do that, not just security guards.

Thank goodness it was an actor and actress, but still the lack of interest of the bystanders was just disappointing.Violence is never an answer or a solution for any relationship problems.

Comment

Originally posted by baldclub View Post
            I brought this up in another thread but I would like to stoke some conversation here on the issue of how we see things, men, women, people in positions of authority. I saw this on ABC News.

Reaction To Women Abusing Men In Public - YouTube

What do you think?
            Without reading anyone's reply (I wanted to give my own first impression) I would like to poiny out to you a famous psychology experiment (if memory serves was orchestrated by Zimbardo) where students were told to take on roles of prisoner and prisoner gaurd.

The experiment was famously stopped early, as the abuse of authority became too much as to outweigh the benefit of continuing the experiment.

So, in other words, Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

If you (as either a man or a woman) are willing to give your 'pwer' away, then it will be taken.

Comment

I remember learning about that in college Wretched! It was at Stanford.

Wikipedia link

You might find it facinating Bald, especially if you can find footage of it online. I remember thinking how amazing it was that the professors picked those that they felt were the most "normal and sane". It really speaks to the mentality of situations that abuse may be tolerated.

Comment

Zimbardo - Stanford Prison Experiment

That experiment I also heard about at college.Its frightening to think of how far people will go to fulfil a "role".I have video links in this link too.

Comment

This article also presents a different view of domestic violence. I don't heavily endorse MRM sites, but this article definitely gives you something to think about.

A different look at men’s violence | A Voice for Men

Comment

I didn't want to start a separate thread but this is interesting;

Nicole Ryan, Nova Scotia
                    Nicole Ryan, Abused Wife Who Sought Hit Man, Free After Supreme Court Stays Case

Comment

Hadenough, what did you think of the video in the original post?

Comment

Interesting read here The teacher, the hit man and the questions that remain : Stephen Kimber between Michael Ryan and Stephen Kimber detailing some of the case that led to the Supreme Court ruling.

Comment

Thx for that PHM, and no Baldclub I haven't seen the video link yet b/c they won't open on my phone (?) But when I'm next at my desktop, I will check it out and comment. I have seen a few like what you are describing, but maybe I'm thinking of an old episode of "Cheaters" lol or something like that.

I once saw my friends (now ex-gf) attack him - he just blocked her and eventually restrained her. She was prone to outbursts like that. I always thought she was fortunate to not get laid out b/c she thought absolutely nothing of attacking violently when she had a few drinks in her.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post

If you (as either a man or a woman) are willing to give your 'pwer' away, then it will be taken.
                            I agree with this statement. I allowed my power to be taken away and therefore take responsibility for my actions or non actions with what happened in my marriage.

I watched this video and I think its appalling that so many people walked by. It is just as wrong, regardless of gender. I have been at the end of the assault with others watching and nothing was done, no one intervened or called for help. It only made me feel like it was deserved and socially acceptable. I gave my power away further.

I think regardless of gender, if society does nothing, it only hurts the person at the end of the assault further. This video made me feel ill.

Comment

I saw it. Interesting but not all that surprising. Definitely a double standard. Even the cop (off duty) admitted to that. So, like the ABC show goes "What would you Do?"

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X