Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Represent in Superior Court - Scary !??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Represent in Superior Court - Scary !??

I would like some input from people who have Self represented in Superior Court. Was is scary, were you shaking in your boots ?
    Would you do it again, if you had to or hire a lawyer ?
    Are the judges stricter in there compared to Provincial?
    If both parties self represent, do the judges get annoyed or if you are disorganized would the judges tell you to go and find yourselves lawyers, then come back to court ?
    Please share your thoughts, how you prepared and what you did to make your trial successful any thing that you think is important to highlight. thanks

A great help with self rep. in Superior court was fieldgrey. He recentlywent through it. Check his posts out

Comment

I did, get your facts in order, be prepared for outrageous lies from the other side..keep your cool and you will be fine

Comment

Thanks, I'm used with Provincial Court, but Supreme Court is quite different and more formal and lots of different forms without any explanation., what you file in response to what application. Ex is a complete lair and throws crying tits and I hope the judge won't fall for that.

Comment

I self represented and for the most part, the judges were great. Sometimes they yell but don't let it rattle you. They yell at lawyers all the time. Just make sure you can direct them to any documentation right away. Don't interrupt and don't argue. The bottom line is for most of them that justice be served. Let them lead you and you will be fine

Comment

I want to hire a lawyer but too expensive $15K and at the end no guarantee that he will get you anything. he says it all depends on the judge and evidence. If I do it by myself it might be messy and more difficult and hopefully a good outcome. If the judge gets frustrated, might kick us both out of court and tell us to get lawyers and reschedule the trial.

Comment

I see that you have self represented and I'm wondering how did you figure out how to do this on your own in the Superior Level? I have a seperation agreement that is not being followed by my ex. . .where he is paying (because of FRO) for child support he is not paying the family debt he agreed to, he has not removed me from a vehicle loan he agreed to and extraordinary expenses when I hand him receipts he either doesn't pay or pays when he feels like it and not in the agreed upon 15 days. Would you mind sending some advice my way as to how to go about this? What forms do I fill out to start the process or even where do I find the information to walk me through starting this process?? Thanks so much for you time

Comment

im self reping too, and have a mountain of evidance. im getting ready for a jcc coming up. in the beginning ex claimed she wanted to buy me out of the house. i agreed. she then sent me a SA that showed she would buy me out for 1 dollar. what an insult! then she freezes title on the house saying she wants to own it outright and wanted to stop me from selling my 50% interest. now shes claiming i never owned the house because her parents provided the down payment. I am to understand that because that money was put into an asset for a family purpose, i.e the family home, that it is indeed a family asset and i am fighting for my half. her story has changed greatly since this all started, but in the original lien against the house, she admitted to my 50% share of the house. who is right? self reping can be scary when you get letters like the one i got today, but i stand by what i say. i have a mountain of evidence, but she has the checks her parents wrote claiming the money was an early payout for her inheritance. comments anyone?

Comment

Both my parents and my exes grandmother helped us out with our downpayment. Neither of us got "credit" for it. It was a "gift".

My ex did receive an inheritance during our marriage. The money was spent on paying off our debts (credit cards and my OASP loan), a vehicle, and some new appliances. Initially my ex wanted me to payback what was spent paying off my OSAP and exclude the household items purchased. Lawyers said no.

I may be incorrect but my understanding is that inheritance money spent for the benefit of the household is included in equalization.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X