Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the Separation Agreement

Hi,
    I currently have joint shared custody 2-2-5-5. Our agreement states that we won't schedule activities on the other parents time unless we both agree.
    This worked well for the first 3 years.

Our child. age 7, is now older and is able to play rep hockey with kids a year older. I feel this is fantastic and a great opportunity. The benefits are plenty.

I say go for it. The ex says not on their time.

If it was houseleague or a recreational thing I would not push the issue.

Do I take this to court? Isn't this in the best interest of the kid?

Thanks

p.s. I have followed this forum for a long time. Even though I had a lawyer this forum helped me through a lot.

I wouldnt take it to court. It is clearly written so there is no gray area. If it was something that the child was involved in before then you may have a case but this is new. It isnt right to interfere with the other parents time with the child.

Comment

Our separation agreement is pretty solid. But like any agreement it will need to be upgraded. It needs to evolve as time goes on. The child's needs of yesterday are not the same as tomorrow.
      And as stated in the OP if this was houseleague I never would have brought it up.

Comment

I'm curious - what "benefits" are there to a 7-yr-old to play in this league?

Are these "benefits" worth going to court over and, more importantly, upsetting what seems to have been a very cohesive parenting relationship?

Comment

Has your child actually tried out for rep and made the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hockey is a big commitment, especially rep... if someone isn't a "hockey family" I can easily see why his would be a no go. Honestly going to court over this won't do much good... unless your kid is a star player and working towards the NHL you will be hard pressed to get anything ordered. The child wasn't in rep at separation so this is basically a new activity. Maybe the child can be called up to play some games on your days?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
              I'm curious - what "benefits" are there to a 7-yr-old to play in this league?

Are these "benefits" worth going to court over and, more importantly, upsetting what seems to have been a very cohesive parenting relationship?
              Besides the usual basic benefits of teamwork, hard work, building self esteem, commitment, playing by rules, learning how to win and lose, exercise....etc etc etc
              Then there are future educational and professional opportunities that playing rep sports can produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                Has your child actually tried out for rep and made the team?

Yes!!! It's just a matter of commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                  Hockey is a big commitment, especially rep... if someone isn't a "hockey family" I can easily see why his would be a no go. Honestly going to court over this won't do much good... unless your kid is a star player and working towards the NHL you will be hard pressed to get anything ordered. The child wasn't in rep at separation so this is basically a new activity. Maybe the child can be called up to play some games on your days?

"Hockey family"?
                  You can only work towards something, like the Nhl, if you actually try.

I appreciate the answers "wasn't in rep at separation so this is basically a new activity" but I don't agree with it. Children grow and change. So should the parents. When does it stop being "not on my days" to "our child is showing a strong desire and is demonstrating a great skill so let's help them grow"?

Comment

Originally posted by leavingthestation View Post
                    Besides the usual basic benefits of teamwork, hard work, building self esteem, commitment, playing by rules, learning how to win and lose, exercise....etc etc etc
                    Then there are future educational and professional opportunities that playing rep sports can produce.
                    One would hope that the local-level of sport instills these values no?

I'm not a hockey fan or knowledgeable about the various levels of the game. However, I was in other competitive interests as a child and later in life I was a competitive golfer (both individual stroke-play as well as match play and team endeavors). I know the benefit, first-hand, of having active supportive parents. With that said, you sadly have to realize your child's handicap (acrimonious divorced parents). If your child were to show true talent and want to pursue the sport competitively then it will surely lead to a big disappointment as parents aren't both on-board with this activity. Taking this to the court level will likely end in the child being totally turned off of anything that the parents have to agree on.

I empathize with your situation but this is one of those nasty costs of divorce. Sucks for sure but might be best to recognize it for what it is and not subject your child to future disappointment.

Found this article: http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...d-into-the-nhl

I still don't "get" the obsession. Sounds like a huge commitment which many families simply can't afford or are unwilling to sacrifice their time for.

This is an excellent article:
                    https://glassandout.com/2014/02/10-s...ockey-parents/
                    Last edited by arabian; 09-30-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

How has it been possible up to now that the hockey schedule would only happen on your time? My son is only in house league and it would be impossible for him to only attend on my days alone without missing a pile of games. Has she already been taking him on her time?

Comment

I also didnt understand that, it would be impossible to have any activity only occur on one parents time in 2-2-5-5. I suspect then, the issue is not an activity in general, but this particular activity. Have you offered to do all the driving for the activity? I agree at some point it is about what the child wants to do, but also within the means (money and time) the parents have. Activites certaily look different at age 4 compared to what they are like with much older kids, so it seems there needs to be some flexibiity. But 7 seems young to have a burning desire for one time consuming activity. why not do a less intensive type of activity for a another few years and then switch to a competitive one if child still interested at age 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
                          How has it been possible up to now that the hockey schedule would only happen on your time? My son is only in house league and it would be impossible for him to only attend on my days alone without missing a pile of games. Has she already been taking him on her time?

Our child would miss most of the every other weekend. My ex brought our child twice....the other times I was told they couldn't attend because they were busy. When I would call they were sitting at home watching tv.

Comment

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
                            I also didnt understand that, it would be impossible to have any activity only occur on one parents time in 2-2-5-5. I suspect then, the issue is not an activity in general, but this particular activity.
                            I had our child in houseleague soccer. It was always on my time. Never missed a practice/game.

Comment

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
                              Have you offered to do all the driving for the activity?
                              I absolutely did.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X