This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Lawyer - Ottawa

Hi there. Are there any support payors on this forum that have a lawyer they would recommend? I have a strong feeling i'm going to be in need and would like to be prepared rather than caught off guard.

You should try the Law Society of Upper Canada's service to locate a qualified family law lawyer:

Law Society Referral Service

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Related to this . . . why are there no websites with decent ratings of lawyers in Canada? You can rate your teachers, your professors, MDs, dentists, and pretty much anything else, but why not lawyers? Does the threat of lawsuits keeps people from doing this? Some other reason?

Comment

Originally posted by AlienatedDad View Post
        Related to this . . . why are there no websites with decent ratings of lawyers in Canada? You can rate your teachers, your professors, MDs, dentists, and pretty much anything else, but why not lawyers? Does the threat of lawsuits keeps people from doing this? Some other reason?
        Try www.lawyerratingz.com or this:

Lexpert® Directory - Ranking - Family Law
        Last edited by momforever1956; 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momforever1956 View Post
          Thanks. Unfortunately, the lists (especially the latter) don't seem to be too comprehensive. At least compared to those for other professions I've seen. Useful nonetheless.

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately, the lists (especially the latter) don't seem to be too comprehensive. At least compared to those for other professions I've seen. Useful nonetheless.
            Once you have a name you are interested in researching you can google it , get more information about their company and even go to CanLII - Ontario - Superior Court of Justice and input the name to get more information or review the cases they have been involved with.
            I agree it is not as extensive or informative as other professional sites, but at least it is a starting point.

Comment

Once you have a name you are interested in researching you can google it , get more information about their company and even go to CanLII - Ontario - Superior Court of Justice and input the name to get more information or review the cases they have been involved with.
              I agree it is not as extensive or informative as other professional sites, but at least it is a starting point.
              Thanks. I checked it out, but couldn't seem to search by lawyer. Is there a trick?

Comment

Thanks. I checked it out, but couldn't seem to search by lawyer. Is there a trick?
                If you go to the website: CanLII - Ontario - Superior Court of Justice
                and in the full text box-type in the name of the lawyer and then press search cases will appear.

I have found the websites with names most useful, highly reccomended etc.
                I have then googled their names, found out about the firm as they usually have a profile and then I have searched them on the canlii website.

Comment

I don't know where you are, but in Toronto depending how high profile you want and how much you are prepared to spend, there are about 10 high profile lawyers that are considered the gurus of Family Law.
                  They for sure all know each other and work many cases together. What is an interesting note is that my lawyer and my x's lawyer have worked opposite each other on many cases--are friends, have acted as a mediator for each other etc etc.
                  The mediator./ arbitrator we used is a guru in Family Law--and I happen to know that he is working as legal counsel for a man and my lawyer is acting as counsel for the wife. It is very intertwined and what one must realize is that just as a physician cannot get emotionally involved in each of their patients cases same goes for laywers. We as a population going through divorce often need the support and look to counsel as being on OUR side when in fact they are professionals who take each case as just that. Their job is really to guide us to our rights and procedures and to protect our best interest.
                  After being in the "system" for over 3 years I still profess that the lawyers and judges and the system although flawed are not the root of the problem, but instead the users of the system are the root of the problem.

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

I have a recommendation if you would like it - I can PM it to you.
                      She is in the east end.

Comment

That would be fantastic Dorano

Comment

If you go to the website: CanLII - Ontario - Superior Court of Justice
                          and in the full text box-type in the name of the lawyer and then press search cases will appear.

I have found the websites with names most useful, highly reccomended etc.
                          I have then googled their names, found out about the firm as they usually have a profile and then I have searched them on the canlii website.
                          Thanks. I did this and nothing came up for my current lawyer. Putting other known names in their brought up a lot of cases. I guess I can assume that she has never been to trial. Is this correct?

I am really thinking about changing lawyers, but I am afraid about the expense of doing so, e.g., what will it cost to bring the new lawyer up to speed? Will the current lawyer charge me an arm and a leg to get the documents (hopefully not, since I have presumably paid for these).

My current lawyer (I think) is over her head. Not only does it appear that she has never been to trial (if my above assumption is correct), but also she has never had a case where there has been a parental evaluation involved. I find this a bit shocking (as did another custody evalutor with whom I spoke). If somebody could PM me with a recommendation in Ottawa for a good lawyer who knows about high-conflict people, how to challenge custoday evaluations, and knows something about pension valuation, that would be great.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X