Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road
Default Your perspective on no child support.

No child support where there is shared custody.

What if one day the law said that when there was shared custody no child support would be ordered.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:10 AM

BitHunter is on a distinguished road

That might not be fair. But if we can dream that how about the law would say the child support should be spent on the child?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

I'm all for shared custody, 50/50 should be the norm unless there are proven issues. IMO if both parents have sufficient incomes to provide the basics for their children, there would be no need for court ordered CS.

What if one day, couples wishing to marry or have kids would have to earn similar paychecks - the problem would be solved. When choosing a life-partner, people seem to forget that there's a 50/50 chance that things will go sour - add kids to the mix, a big difference in earning potential and voila! somebody is going to be ordered to pay support.

Each case should be judged on it's own merits so no, I don't think that day will come.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Serene is on a distinguished road

No CS is fine with me.

It happens more than you think too. Many people are owed it and never receive it....
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

I have to disagree. What if one parent earns an extremely good income, and the other parent doesn't? Then you get the kids living in a fabulous house with fabulous things half the time, and living in a crummy house and going without the other half. Kids are materialistic. Soon enough, they're going to resent life with the low-income parent and want to live all the time at the nice house. So I do think that CS flowing from the high-income parent to the low-income parent is necessary so that the kids' lifestyles don't have drastic differences in each house.

That said, however, I do think that the current system is in need of overhaul. SS should definitely be calculated before CS. That way, if the high-income parent is already supporting the low-income parent's income, the adjusted amounts are used to determine CS.

Also, a half-offset method should be used for all situations, in proportion to time spent with the children, so that the money imbalance is smoothed out, and parents are truly supporting their children in proportion to both their income and their access times. There would be a lot less fighting over access that way, and a lot more likelihood of 50-50.

Both parents put their table CS amounts into a common pool. They draw from the pool in proportion to their access time (by 10% or something).

A high-income parent might put $1500 a month into the common pool, while the low-income parent might put in $200. The pool has $1700 a month. If access is 30-70 (one parent has 3 nights in 14) the low-access parent pulls out $510 a month, while the high-access parent pulls out the remaining $1190. If access is 50-50, they each pull out $850. Only if one parent has zero access would the other parent get full table CS from them.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Technical point - shared custody (shared decision making) is not the same as shared parenting, where kids reside with each parent not less than 40% of the time over the course of a year.

If both parents have similar incomes, CS doesn't make a big difference. But situations change, and so I think some sort of CS framework needs to be in place so that if mom or dad loses their job (or goes bankrupt or whatever), the kids don't end up in a situation where they have very different standards of living in the two houses because there's no way of collecting CS from the other parent.

I also agree with Rioe's point about SS coming off the payor parent's income before CS is calculated.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM

good_mom is on a distinguished road

Parent A prior to marriage goes to university and gets a great paying job.

Parent B prior to marriage decides all I need is my grade 12 education, minimum wages job.

Both have at this point in time made the choice of how they will support their family.

Why should parent A have to pay for parent B choices? People have to be held accountable for their life choices, not live off the ones that work hard to make it.

I know not fair to the kids. In life nothing is fair and that why it will never change.

Agree with Rioe CS after SS and it would be a great start.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have to disagree. What if one parent earns an extremely good income, and the other parent doesn't? Then you get the kids living in a fabulous house with fabulous things half the time, and living in a crummy house and going without the other half. Kids are materialistic. Soon enough, they're going to resent life with the low-income parent and want to live all the time at the nice house. So I do think that CS flowing from the high-income parent to the low-income parent is necessary so that the kids' lifestyles don't have drastic differences in each house.
Is the answer that the poor parent's house is pimped out by the rich parent's wealth?

So in reality the rich parent never really gets fully divorced because entitlement to their wealth by the poor parent flows through the children...
The poor parent still lives almost like they were married to the richer parent
due to CS?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

You know what? I really don't think that day will ever come. And for many reasons.

Long before CS would be scaled down, SS would have to be eradicated. And that wouldn't happen in our lifetime.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
Is the answer that the poor parent's house is pimped out by the rich parent's wealth?

So in reality the rich parent never really gets fully divorced because entitlement to their wealth by the poor parent flows through the children...
The poor parent still lives almost like they were married to the richer parent
due to CS?
Table CS is nowhere near someone's full earnings. The CS recipient is still going to live a much reduced lifestyle. Not to mention the sudden cessation of CS when the children are grown!

The wealthy parent is supporting their children, no matter where they live. It's just an unfortunate side effect that the ex also benefits for a time. The only people who have a problem with this are those who hate their ex more than they love their children. And maybe also those who have an ex who clearly spends the CS money on themselves instead of on the children.