Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
While I may be 61 my only source of income is my pension which is only 1600 a month plus my CPP 485 a month and he's going after $563.00 of that.
This means nothing out of context - 563 may be a totally reasonable amount, even if you'd rather not part with it.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Lorac is on a distinguished road

First: Why the sarcasm???? "even if you'd rather not part with it". I'm not asking for pity, for help, or anyone whose upset and decided "let's throw in a good knock for the other side." I am a woman, I'm assuming your are a man...does it make a difference what gender we are when we seem to have the same problems be it a man taking her for everything or be it a woman taking him for everything...it is what it is...I am talking non gender.

This may not seem out of context according to how you may perceive it in $$$. Out of that there is my rent,water, heat, electricity,phone, cable, internet, my vehicle, my gas, my food, my health care insurance, my laundry, my dentist, my car insurance, line of credit to pay my lawyer christmas, easter, birthdays, this amount is not what I make clear it is what I make in total. In 3 years I will loose my transition and my bridging a total $900.00 leaving me with my pension of just over $700.00 less than what his pension is now. My total will be $1400 including my CPP. According to the table the poverty line is anywhere between 25,000 to 30,000.
If you can figure out how to get $563.00 to give to him please clue me in and I will gladly give it to him.

Thank you
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM

karmaseeker is on a distinguished road

I guess the point is people should have a right to not be financially raped from their ability to provide for themselves.

There is a wide gap between additional support and getting taken to the cleaners.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM

BestStepMomICanBe is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to state that as a new member here, I have already been inspired to write letters of concern to government as Karmaseeker has. I doesn't take that long to write a letter, I'm sure you have all spent hours writing posts on here, why not take a break from replying to posts and write a letter, copy and paste and send it to as many politicians as you can.
I also wanted to state that although Karmaseeker's letter was in defence of fathers (as mine will be also) when laws are written and passed it is usually done in such a way to be inclusive of every gender. No worries it will be against mothers only.
Every single letter we write is important. If every member here wrote a letter and forwarded it on to as many in positions of authority who will listen imagine the onslaught of letters they would get? I'm sure they would all have a "what the heck is happening" moment.
Thanks for writing the letters and posting links Karma, in appreciation of you having done that I promise to write letters too.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestStepMomICanBe View Post
I just wanted to state that as a new member here, I have already been inspired to write letters of concern to government as Karmaseeker has. I doesn't take that long to write a letter, I'm sure you have all spent hours writing posts on here, why not take a break from replying to posts and write a letter, copy and paste and send it to as many politicians as you can.
I also wanted to state that although Karmaseeker's letter was in defence of fathers (as mine will be also) when laws are written and passed it is usually done in such a way to be inclusive of every gender. No worries it will be against mothers only.
Every single letter we write is important. If every member here wrote a letter and forwarded it on to as many in positions of authority who will listen imagine the onslaught of letters they would get? I'm sure they would all have a "what the heck is happening" moment.
Thanks for writing the letters and posting links Karma, in appreciation of you having done that I promise to write letters too.

Thank you!

There are over 22,000 members of this forum. Granted many have left and perhaps many new have replaced the ones who have moved on . Even 10% of that would be 2,200 letters to the Prime Minister. I think his secretaries would take notice of that in his inbox.

Laws don't change unless there is enough people stating loudly they are unjust. SHARE YOUR STORIES! Not only will it make needed noise it will even bring about a change in you --- you are not a helpless victim ---none of you!. You are a powerful, courageous parents filled with love and truth in your heart! BE HEARD!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Letter to the Editor of the Globe and Mail

Letters@globeandmail.com
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 AM

dlc is on a distinguished road
Default I wrote my letter !

I put aside 30 mins and wrote a letter to the pm and my local MLA.
Simple and I encourage everyone to do the same. Take the time you
would have spent on this forum. Apathy never results in change !
Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc View Post
I put aside 30 mins and wrote a letter to the pm and my local MLA.
Simple and I encourage everyone to do the same. Take the time you
would have spent on this forum. Apathy never results in change !
Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Thumbs up Here's to The Honourable Rob Nicholson.

I have to say 315 emails sent and a handful of responses makes those that take the time to respond stand out.

The office of the PM was swift and showed concern forwarding my letter to the appropriate office. Kudos!

And today I received this....

Dear Ms. XXXXXXXX:

The Office of the Prime Minister and the office of my colleague the Honourable Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety, have forwarded to me a copy of your correspondence concerning the family justice system.

I sympathize with the difficult situations that may arise as a result of separation or divorce, particularly when children are involved. I hope you will understand that, as Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, I cannot comment on a specific case or situation. However, I can provide you with general information on the family justice system in Canada.

Family law in Canada is an area of shared jurisdiction. The federal, provincial, and territorial governments have the common goal of creating an improved, less adversarial family justice system across Canada. I would like to assure you of the Government’s commitment to making the family justice system as fair as possible for all concerned. While the federal government indeed takes the lead in proposing ways to achieve this goal, addressing these issues is a collaborative effort with the provinces and territories. The Government supports a child-centred policy that will encourage parents to fulfill their responsibilities to their children in a way that will promote their children’s best interests.

The Federal Child Support Guidelines and Tables are built on the principle that child support is a responsibility shared by both parents, according to their ability to pay. Children should continue to benefit from the financial means of both parents after separation, just as they would if the family were still together. The receiving parent is also expected to contribute financially in accordance with his or her ability to do so.

While the courts must generally base child support amounts on the Federal Child Support Tables, they have discretion in certain cases to order a different amount if they decide that the amount set out in the Tables is unfair to either parent or to the child in the particular circumstances.

For more information on the Federal Child Support Guidelines, please visit the Supporting Families section of the Department of Justice Canada’s Web site at The Supporting Families Experiencing Separation and Divorce Initiative. You may be particularly interested in a publication called Federal Child Support Guidelines: Step-by-Step, which is posted in the Library section of the site. This publication includes information on some special circumstances that may warrant a lower amount of child support.

Although the Divorce Act is a federal law, its implementation is the responsibility of the provincial and territorial governments. The provinces are also responsible for family mediation and other out-of-court services. Therefore, if you have not already done so, you may wish to share your concerns with the Honourable Chris Bentley, Minister Attorney General of Ontario, who is responsible for the administration of justice in your province. His office’s contact information can be found at Contact Us - Ministry of the Attorney General.

As Minister of Justice, it is important for me to be aware of Canadians’ concerns about the family justice system so that I can work with my colleagues to find ways to improve it. For this reason, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your story.

Please be assured that the Government of Canada is committed to working with the provinces and territories with a view to resolving the many complex issues that arise both during and after separation and divorce.

I appreciate having had your concerns brought to my attention.

Yours truly,

The Honourable Rob Nicholson

Start writing your story and let the politicians know - NOW IS THE TIME FOR CHANGE!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 AM

staysingle is on a distinguished road

Do Politicians Listen?
You bet they do! A personal letter sent to those who represent you in Ottawa or in your provincial legislature is a powerful technique for ensuring your interests and way of life are not infringed by others with different points of view.
Every politician pays close attention to the mail they receive from their constituents. This is their barometer of public opinion.
Just over half of our politicians won their seats by less than 1000 votes. One third won by fewer than 400 votes. Since most of our political ridings have thousands of voters, a 400 vote margin is pretty slim.
Once one of these slim-margin politicians starts to get letters, alarm bells go off in their head. They will tell the leaders and cabinet ministers that new measures are popular or unpopular in their ridings. They will explain their riding could be lost if measures are not reversed.
Remember the turn-around when the feds announced the short-lived NHL subsidy? That spectacular reversal was prompted by public opinion.
Remember...politicians want to win and nobody likes being unemployed.

Great job Karmaseeker. My letter gets mailed tomorrow to the sniveling Chris Bentley. I will post on this thread his reply-if any!
Closed Thread