Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity
Default Vellacott celebrates National Child Day with announcement of Equal Parenting bill

Fresh off the press...

Quote:

Maurice Vellacott, MP

Saskatoon-Wanuskewin

Vellacott celebrates National Child Day with announcement of Equal Parenting bill

For Immediate Release November 20, 2008

OTTAWA – “Today is National Child Day. It is a great day to be talking about the best interests of children,” says Conservative MP Maurice Vellacott (Saskatoon-Wanuskewin). “My next initiative – in an 11-year political history of fighting for Canada’s children – is a bill to require a presumption of equal, shared parenting in child custody decisions.”

In the last Parliament, Vellacott introduced M-483, a Private Member's MOTION advocating equal, shared parenting. In this parliament, he is preparing to introduce a Private Member's BILL that would amend the Divorce Act to direct judges to demonstrate a presumption of equal, shared parenting in cases of marital breakdown where children are involved. Exceptions will exist for cases of abuse and neglect.

“The overwhelming testimony from the best research is that children’s interests are best served when they are raised by both parents,” said Vellacott.

“In cases of marital breakdown, this must be facilitated with greater emphasis being given to equal, shared parenting by Canadian courts when they decide on custodial and access questions,” he added.

A 1998 Canadian Special Joint House-Senate Committee on Child Custody and Access produced a report entitled “For The Sake of the Children.” This report had important recommendations on equal, shared parenting. This year is the 10th anniversary of the release of that Report.

Up to now, governments have failed to implement the important child-friendly recommendations from this report. Vellacott gives special recognition to the 10th anniversary by stating his intent to introduce a Private Members’ Bill to implement equal, shared parenting provisions in federal law.

– 30 –

For further comment, call (613) 992-1966 or 297-2249

lv
Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 PM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

It's nice to know someone out there is doing something. A voice for us little people. Thank you for posting the news!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Mike Murphy is on a distinguished road
Default Maurice Vellacotts Initiative

I just want to say "Go Maurice Go." Many of us are in lock step with you. Will we get to where Australia is now? My fingers are crossed
Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

It would be nice to see more MP's come forward, regardless of their political colour. If they believe in the principle, Stand up and show support!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM

FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

I sent an email of appreciation to Maurice Vellacotts and received an email from one of his assistants within hours.
Some of the content included words like,

Mr. Vellacott wants to be working on a bill that proposes real change, but is also politically achievable. So we press on. Many thanks for your note of support.

Here's to hoping real change is on the horizon, and not just a pretty setting sun.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 PM

Although, my MP wears the same political colours of the prevailing government and her fellow MP Mr. Maurice Vellacott, MP; They basically side stepped the issue before the election. Now that the dust has settled, I think I will address their side step and request an updated position on the issue.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Mike Murphy is on a distinguished road
Default Mr. Vellacotts position

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalvelocity View Post
Although, my MP wears the same political colours of the prevailing government and her fellow MP Mr. Maurice Vellacott, MP; They basically side stepped the issue before the election. Now that the dust has settled, I think I will address their side step and request an updated position on the issue.
Mr. Vellacottt has been consistent before, during and after the election. He was roundly criticized by a local reporter, in fact, for campaigning on it in his riding. Instead of making Motion M-483 he is now prepared to bring an actual bill to change the divorce act. That is a step forward.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 AM

FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

I received a follow up email and this is what was said.

I looked into the matter of retroactivity a bit more and in the Private Member’s Bill that Mr. Vellacott introduces, it would likely specify that the coming-into-force of the amended provision would constitute a change in material circumstances which would entitle any party to return to the court for a new determination. A provision to this effect would not have the immediate effect of nullifying existing orders. However, it would create a right to reopen each case for a new determination."
Closed Thread