Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM

jessediesel is on a distinguished road
Default T4 amount from ex common law partner

Currently trying to get my taxes done but ex wont tell me her t4 amount .How can i do my taxes without this?We just split up six days ago.How can i get this from her if she refuses to give it to me and in turn i can't file my taxes without it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 AM

Moolight is on a distinguished road

Just put in your ex SIN and estimated income amt base on the previous year. CRA will track it down if needed.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM

SingingDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessediesel View Post
Currently trying to get my taxes done but ex wont tell me her t4 amount .How can i do my taxes without this?We just split up six days ago.How can i get this from her if she refuses to give it to me and in turn i can't file my taxes without it.
Unless you are planning to claim an amount on Line 303 - Spouse or common-law partner, you shouldn't need it. If you are concerned about leaving it blank call CRA at 1-800-959-8281. They should be able to answer your questions.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Yup, if ex won't tell you her information, just leave it blank and continue as best you can. You can put her SIN on though, and then when she does her taxes, they'll look her up, find out her income, and recalculate for you. You can forestall owing them money by estimating what your return might be based on her previous year's income and making a payment if you would owe.

Awkward, but you and your ex were not split up for the entire year of 2012 from the sounds of it, so you have to file as common-law for those taxes. You'll even need her income tax stuff when you file next year, because you were still together for a portion of 2013.

She'll hasn't figured this out yet, I guess. Maybe she'll be more cooperative when she does her own taxes and figures out that she needs YOUR numbers.

Last edited by Rioe; 03-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Closed Thread