Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 AM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity
Default NDP Federal Leader - Jack Layton's stance with respect to Bill 483

A very good friend of mine was kind enough to forward:

Quote:
Equal parenting - reply

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:45 PM
"Layton, Jack - M.P." <Layton.J@parl.gc.ca>
View contact details
To:
"Layton, Jack - M.P." <Layton.J@parl.gc.ca>

Thank you for your email in support of equal parenting and motion M-483.
We recognize that any separation or divorce is difficult and emotionally charged issues and where children are involved they pose even greater challenges. We are committed to ensuring that any legislative initiatives are in the best interests of our children.

At this time we do not have a formal policy on the issue of equal parenting. In the absence of a formal policy on a specific legislative issue, we are guided by broader party policy and our critic’s recommendation on the proposed legislation and then the issue is discussed and debated by Caucus.

As Parliament is not presently sitting, the federal Caucus has yet to meet to discuss motion M-483.

Several members of our Caucus have, however, met with representatives from the Canadian Equal Parenting Coalition, including our Justice critic, Joe Comartin, who has expressed his willingness to fully consider the Coalitions concerns when he presents his recommendation to Caucus when Parliament resumes in September.

We appreciate you raising this issue with us and for allowing us the opportunity to respond. All the best.

Sincerely,

Office of Jack Layton

NDP Leader
A typical side step if I ever saw one! Its not like the issue is complicated. Either your for or your against. I have to think the Honourable Mr. Jack Layton is more concerned about getting re-elected in the pending forthcoming election rather than take a stance on this important issue now.

lv
Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 AM

FreeNow is on a distinguished road

Yikes,
Same C&P response as to LegalVelocity's post to another in this subforun. The FNs are screaming.

FN
Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 AM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

I'm behind a day or so...but nonetheless -- Update

Quote:
Vellacott recognizes Parental Alienation Awareness Day

April 25, 2009

OTTAWA - "Parental Alienation is a serious problem in Canada because too many children do not benefit from the active involvement of both parents in their lives," said Conservative MP Maurice Vellacott (Saskatoon-Wanuskewin), speaking in recognition of Parental Alienation Awareness Day.

April 25th is Parental Alienation Awareness Day and much more awareness needs to take place around the impact of parental alienation today.

Canada's high levels of divorce and non-traditional family arrangements often result in situations where children are no longer able to benefit from the consistent nurture and guidance and love of one of their parents. In most cases, though not all, it is the father who is missing from the home. Canada's family law system often makes matters worse, which is why I have been working on a Private Member's Bill that would require Equal Shared Parenting to be treated as the presumptive approach for resolving custodial arrangements among divorcing parents.

A new study has been released by Prof. Edward Kruk of the University of British Columbia using Canadian data. His research confirms conclusions that have already been well-established from much research around the world. Kruks' report notes that 90 percent of runaways grew up in father-absent homes, as did 71% of dropouts and a majority of those identified as depressed, suicidal, addicted and pregnant teens. "Barring cases of abuse and neglect, the best interests of the child include the active involvement of both parents in their nurture and upbringing," said Vellacott.

A very important symposium on Parental Alienation took place in Toronto in March. I commend all those involved in organizing this successful and important event.

One of the many speakers at the symposium was Dr. Terence Campbell, Ph.D., a clinical and forensic psychologist. He said that all separations must begin with the premise that joint physical custody is better than sole custody.

Many of the speakers at the conference were women, including Dr. Marty McKay, also an advocate of equal parenting. She expressed distress at the way many professionals contribute to Parental Alienation among children in broken homes. She listed the whole spectrum of professionals involved in divorce and custodial situations: judges, lawyers, assessors, psychologists, mediators, child welfare agencies and domestic violence agencies.

"I wish every success to those involved in raising awareness of the trauma of parental alienation," said Vellacott. "I hope my Private Member's Bill will move Canada in a direction that reduces parental alienation and advances our country's support for the best interests of our children."

- 30 -

For further comment, call (613) 992-1966 or (613) 297-2249

lv
Closed Thread