Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2016, 06:20 PM

hopefull is on a distinguished road

It seems to be in your case. Do you plan on coming off the SS you are collecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
"Indefinite" does not necessarily mean forever. What is relevant is the "quantum" of support.

I am not privy to your divorce/separation agreement. Did you not negotiate a step-down SS imputing income to your ex? This would relate to (d) in your points above and is, indeed, entirely enforceable. Of course your agreement has to be written up the correct way. This is a mistake that many people make. Depending upon your situation (age, length of employment, length of marriage, etc) this might be an area to examine.

Does your agreement specifically indicate that retirement is a material change of circumstances (some people amazingly have in their agreements that it is NOT a material change of circumstances - I suspect that might be in the case of very wealthy individuals)?

Do not misconstrue "indefinite" with "quantum" as some people end up receiving $1.00/year indefinitely once they are deemed to be self-sufficient. The onus is on you to have in place a well-thought-out agreement which contemplates your plans for retirement.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:20 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull View Post
It seems to be in your case. Do you plan on coming off the SS you are collecting?
I figure my ex owes me a minimum of 400k so no I do not believe SS will be ended anytime soon. He will either have to cough up the money or pay me indefinitely even if that means sharing his CPP with me.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:07 PM

hopefull is on a distinguished road

What you believe he owes you and what is reality are two different things.....you just answered the question, SS is so good that you are not willing to cut the cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
I figure my ex owes me a minimum of 400k so no I do not believe SS will be ended anytime soon. He will either have to cough up the money or pay me indefinitely even if that means sharing his CPP with me.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:19 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull View Post
What you believe he owes you and what is reality are two different things.....you just answered the question, SS is so good that you are not willing to cut the cord.
Well, arabian's version of reality is the one that's been supported by judge after judge, as her ex keeps getting smacked down in court for his attempts to get out of paying her SS. This suggests that he really did rip her off for a big chunk of the family business and karma is doing what karma does ...