Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about
Default Spousal Support

This is a question for all the SS haters, of which we have a number of here at ODF.

Are there ANY situations that you think SS is reasonable and should be paid?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:08 AM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

There are always situations which should require such things. However Adults should be adults and making decisions based on the false hope that a marriage works out is insane.

If you are uneducated, get educated. It's not mystery that people need an education these days. There are tons of programs to help people get the education they need.

This whole crap about leading the life you have grown accustomed to is such BS. It's not even logically possible.... Life changes, shit happens, move on and help yourself.

It's like driving a car without insurance. What is your insurance policy for when your marriage crashes. It should not be living off someone else's hard work. People don't NEED to stay home with the kids, it's a conscious decision that is made and if people don't take into account the effect on their future they are just plain stupid.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 AM

firhill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
This is a question for all the SS haters, of which we have a number of here at ODF.

Are there ANY situations that you think SS is reasonable and should be paid?
Hopefully we don't get sidetracked with posters stating the reasons SS shouldn't be paid as that's not what you asked.
Those threads are a dime a dozen.

If it's part of the pre-nup it should absolutely be paid.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firhill View Post
Hopefully we don't get sidetracked with posters stating the reasons SS shouldn't be paid as that's not what you asked.
Those threads are a dime a dozen.

If it's part of the pre-nup it should absolutely be paid.
If it was part of a pre-nup I agree it should be paid. An agreement was made in good faith and it should be kept.

It's hard to give exact examples of when it should be paid because IMO it should be few and far between.

SS again IMO is archaic and possibly served a purpose in the day when men were the bread winner and women were expected to stay home. This should no longer be the case. If we want gender equality we should have gender equality.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 AM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Further question, what types of criteria would there be for those situations where SS would be appropriate?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Further question, what types of criteria would there be for those situations where SS would be appropriate?
You can't set a criteria in my opinion.

EDIT: It would have to be some catastrophic event that could not have been avoided or planned for which would cause significant hardship to one person. I'm not sure these exist.

Last edited by FB_; 11-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Livinthedream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If one spouse agreed to stay home and look after the family and had a signed agreement then yes. If not I cant see any other way.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 PM

takeontheworld has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If and when its appropriate, I think it definitely should be time limited to a few years to go retrain, job search etc and then its done.

One example of a time limited entitlement is myself...although I havent asked for it. Ex moved internationally several times to countries where work visas for myself were hard to get. One year here, one year there. We all went together and I in return put my career on hold. It was either that or not have our family together. A couple of years of ss would of been nice after we split.

Not all people are educated equally. Some people have stronger work ethics. So for example a physican who has to pay ss to his housewife ex to maintain her lifestyle is insane. If the housewife wants a physician income she should become a physician. Unfortunately, not everyone has the intellect or work ethic to become so. Simply because you marry "up" doesnt mean you should be able to piggy back until eternity.

My dislike of ss is in relation to the more often than not the payee woman. I think its archaic and degrading. They are adults, different than men yes but no less or no better. They can make just as good a living as a man. Mom's who collect from dad's are truly setting a bad example in the eyes of their daughters. Its moms job to to teach them to become anything they want. They can be strong and fierce. They cant become this if they see a weak woman leaching off of a man.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM

auroradiem is on a distinguished road

In the case of a very long term MARRIAGE, if the recipient has become ill and literally unable to work then SS may be appropriate. After the dissolution of a relationship NOBODY maintains their previous lifestyle. In the case of a common law relationship, if you do not make a formal commitment with ALL it's attendant rights AND obligations then I think SS is not appropriate.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Livinthedream is on a distinguished road

Which brings up another question. Why is SS awarded if the other person does no longer supply you with a product/service? In marriage you don’t essentially pay each other… so why is this awarded in the first place after the fact