Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 AM

hopefull is on a distinguished road
Default Sexist Child Benefit Policy

No surprise here eh

Quote:
An Ottawa father is accusing the Canada Revenue Agency of jumping to outdated conclusions after it was assumed his common-law wife should receive the child benefits for his two sons from a previous relationship.
Jason Beaudoin says CRA has assumed his live-in partner is the boys' primary caregiver, because the agency told him he needs her permission in order to have the Canada child benefit payments made out to him instead.
Ottawa dad urges Canada Revenue Agency to rethink 'sexist' child benefit policy - Ottawa - CBC News
Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is true.

I get child tax benefits every other year. I spoke with CRA and since I have a penis, my girlfriend has to be the one to receive the money deposited in to her account. Even the CRA rep told me it was primitive and archaic, but it's the law.

I handle all the finances regarding my daughter in my current relationship .. I just have the wrong chromosomes I guess.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:10 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

She doesn't 'have to', but you do need to apply to have it directed to you.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

My ex gets half the child benefits and I know for sure that he's not female, so yes, it is possible for men to receive them. It may be a matter of calling CRA back persistently a couple of times until you get a co-operative agent on the other end who can make the changes (I think my ex also needed to fax a copy of Kid's birth certificate with his name on it, along with the divorce order showing 50/50).
Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 PM

You are missing the point here...read the article again. The guy has the kids!

I also get half from CRA based on 50-50 custody, with the only document needed from me being the divorce order

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
My ex gets half the child benefits and I know for sure that he's not female, so yes, it is possible for men to receive them. It may be a matter of calling CRA back persistently a couple of times until you get a co-operative agent on the other end who can make the changes (I think my ex also needed to fax a copy of Kid's birth certificate with his name on it, along with the divorce order showing 50/50).
Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Its actually only sexism when it negatively affects women
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 AM

^ Foregone conclusion!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
She doesn't 'have to', but you do need to apply to have it directed to you.
I've documented every communication with CRA. I've now spoken with 4 different agents and they all said it's the law, that I can't apply no matter what. They said it's a pretty strict legislation that my common law g/f get the cash. I suppose I could call and speak more but I'm pretty sure its a brick wall.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Keep escalating up. Ask to speak to managers or supervisors. Tell them that you want to find out how to establish that you are an "eligible individual" (the magic words) to receive the benefit associated with Kid. An "eligible individual" is one who is a legal parent or guardian, who lives with the child on an equal or near-equal basis, and who is primarily responsible for the care of the child when the child is living with that person.

The current child benefit evolved out of "baby bonuses" which mothers were signed up for as soon as they delivered their baby at the hospital. This made sense at the time : there's no ambiguity about whether a woman who has just given birth is indeed the parent of the child, and shared-custody families were almost unheard-of, so it was assumed the mother would always be residing full-time with the child. Now time have changed. But it is definitely possible to establish that a male parent is an "eligible individual", it just takes persistence.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Yea I figured it had a function in the past. I'm not on the whole "sexism" boat although I do find it strange that this legislation hasn't been updated. I also spoke to a supervisor at the CRA and was told that what the CRA reps are in fact telling me is the truth. I've even written a letter to CRA and received a letter back saying the same thing. As you can see I've spent more time and energy on this than I care to.

I think I've come to the conclusion that my D5's step mom gets my money for her and that's it. Laws are updated all the time .. I find it silly that this one hasn't been.