Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM

LostFather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
L F, I don't agree with any of that, and I don't think the opinions stand up to scrutiny, but I am saying that politically this is what you are facing. A huge opposition across the left, which will include the Liberal Party that traditionally tries to get support of feminist groups.

9 out of 10 people base their political opinions on headlines, not content, and on slogans they hear on talk radio. It's sad but true.

I do usually consider myself pro-feminist, but this kind of stuff makes me sick.
I was only referring to the quotes you've posted and not to your views, I did not think that they were your views or opinions. As for which way the 'public' is leaning, and what you believe, I think it would seem to be who you believe is telling you the truth on that one, as I've seen the opposite, so time will tell which way the public is going.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:54 PM

BitHunter is on a distinguished road

what happens if this becomes a bill? I currently my ex has sole custody and she is offering me 4 hours access once a moth will I be able to change this to shared custody without spending my life in court?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszalai View Post
what happens if this becomes a bill? I currently my ex has sole custody and she is offering me 4 hours access once a moth will I be able to change this to shared custody without spending my life in court?
Here is a link to the bill, I believe it will help parents who are struggling to get equal rights to parent their, like a lot of fathers out there.C-422

I do not know what will happen to the parents already currently going through or have been through the system, hopefully it will help resolve their struggles as well. Email your MP and ask for his or her support, it's a long awaited step in the right direction. As well you can sign the online petitions.

As for your 4 hrs, you need to get that changed ASAP, go to the court house and file, you maybe able to get duty council to help. It's a long process, but stay the course, do not accept 4 hrs a month.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity
Default Green Party supports Shared Parenting

For immediate release:

Quote:
HOUSE OF COMMONS
CANADA

Maurice Vellacott, MP
Saskatoon-Wanuskewin
Vellacott commends Green Party
for passing Equal Parenting motion

For Immediate Release August 26, 2010

OTTAWA – Saskatoon-Wanuskewin MP Maurice Vellacott commends the Green Party for adding a commitment to equal shared parenting as a party policy. Last year, the Conservative MP introduce Bill C-422, which would amend the Divorce Act to require judges to order equal shared parenting for divorcing parents unless it is not in the best interests of the child to do so.

Over the weekend, the Green Party passed a policy motion declaring that “the Green Party of Canada will make the necessary changes to the Canada Divorce Act so that in the event of a marital breakdown, the Divorce Act will mandate a default of equal parenting – defined as equal time and responsibility unless there is consent from both parents, or there are specific criminal convictions related to the children that preclude equal parenting.

“My work for equal shared parenting has always been a non-partisan effort,” said Vellacott. “Equal parenting groups in Canada are also talking to Members of Parliament from all parties,” he added.

“A survey I conducted shows a large majority of Canadians supports equal parenting, regardless of what political party the respondents support,” Vellacott said.

“Congratulations to the Green Party for voting to add equal parenting to their party policies.”

– 30 –

For further comment, call (613) 992-1966 or 297-2249
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM

InterprovincialParents is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to InterprovincialParents

The problem with this bill is two-fold...number 1, it needs to pass second reading before an election...highly unlikely... and it creates less work for the law society members...who are also the members of Justice Canada, who would be responsible for revamping the legislation...no way will they allow us parents to take away their bread and butter!

It needs much more publicity and support!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 PM

rwm1273 is an unknown quantity at this point

Much of the stuff I have read from the feminist camp all amounts the belief that Bill 422 will hurt women and children. They claim that men do not look after kids, and that men don't want to have more than just occasional access.

My point is then having Bill 422 won't make any difference to women having custody of the kids. If the feminists are correct, then equal parenting won't affect the average divorcing couple.

But why do I need to fight tooth and nail just to be a father to my kids now? This should have been my kids right since day one. But it took 5 years and $200K and only once the schools confirmed my complaints, did I get custody of the kids. But 2 years from then, my ex has fought twice as hard to try to get the kids back, and now I have had to deal with more allegations of abuse and neglect, not only leveled at me, but also at my current wife.

I have had my career destroyed, my savings plundered, my health has suffered, and my life has been put on hold. None of this would have happened had Bill 422 been in effect from day one.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Much of the stuff I have read from the feminist camp all amounts the belief that Bill 422 will hurt women and children. They claim that men do not look after kids, and that men don't want to have more than just occasional access.

My point is then having Bill 422 won't make any difference to women having custody of the kids. If the feminists are correct, then equal parenting won't affect the average divorcing couple.

But why do I need to fight tooth and nail just to be a father to my kids now? This should have been my kids right since day one. But it took 5 years and $200K and only once the schools confirmed my complaints, did I get custody of the kids. But 2 years from then, my ex has fought twice as hard to try to get the kids back, and now I have had to deal with more allegations of abuse and neglect, not only leveled at me, but also at my current wife.

I have had my career destroyed, my savings plundered, my health has suffered, and my life has been put on hold. None of this would have happened had Bill 422 been in effect from day one.
I know your pain, I am now separated from my current wife, because of my ex's ruthless and unscrupulous and disgusting behavior has now affected her 12 year old son, and is the straw that broke the camels back. My ex's constant barrage of disparaging comments, like "dady left us for that woman to to feed that whores's son", frivolous police and CAS involvement, in failed attempts to support her denial of access to one of my sons. Now 4 years later of her constant interference and disruption in our lives, my wife and I, whom I love dearly have separated directly because of my ex's refusal to leave us and our family alone....NO ONE will help!!!

The police show up, I show them the order, they see my ex is just using them, but do nothing to deter her from using them to disrupt our lives, the financial burdens have been overwhelming to point of bankruptcy. Meanwhile my ex enjoys financial stability, mine is a reck, soon I will have not be able to afford my 2 bedroom apart, her next move will and already been making indications, is that I do not have a suitable place for my children to live. No wonder father's are committing suicide, but really, no one cares, unless is a poor defenseless mother... defenseless, bullsh!t. Ruthless and dangerous!

There needs to be something in place that will penalize parents that do this, give them jail time, reduce access to supervised, this system and the parents who do this are tearing apart good families and damaging childing lives forever, for what...revenge! This bill needs to be supported, we need to start somewhere.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 AM

rwm1273 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few very good laws that just are not being used in our current court system.

Public mischief
140. (1) Every one commits public mischief who, with intent to mislead, causes a peace officer to enter on or continue an investigation by
(a) making a false statement that accuses some other person of having committed an offence;
(b) doing anything intended to cause some other person to be suspected of having committed an offence that the other person has not committed, or to divert suspicion from himself;
(c) reporting that an offence has been committed when it has not been committed; or
(d) reporting or in any other way making it known or causing it to be made known that he or some other person has died when he or that other person has not died.
Punishment
(2) Every one who commits public mischief
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 140; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 19.

Enforcement order
40(1) Subject to subsection (5), the court, on application by a person with a right under a time with a child clause, if it is satisfied that there has been a denial of time within 12 months of the application being brought, may make any enforcement order that is appropriate in the circumstances.
(2) An enforcement order under subsection (1) may contain any one or more of the following provisions:
(a) a provision requiring the respondent to give the applicant compensatory time;
(b) a provision requiring the respondent to give security, in the form and amount and under the conditions determined by the court, for the performance of the obligation in the time with a child clause;
(c) a provision requiring the respondent to reimburse the applicant for any necessary expenses actually incurred as a result of the denial of time;
(d) a provision imposing on the respondent a penalty in an amount not exceeding $100 for each day there has been or is a denial of time to a maximum of $5000 and in default of payment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days;
(e) a provision providing for the respondent to be imprisoned, continuously or intermittently, to a maximum of 90 days for a denial of time until time with the child is given;
(f) where the court is satisfied, based on the respondent’s history of denial of time or based on other reasonable and probable grounds, that a denial of time will occur, a provision directing an enforcement officer to act in accordance with section 44;
(g) a provision directing the respondent or the applicant, or both, to do anything that the court considers appropriate in the circumstances that is intended to induce compliance with the time with a child clause.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:29 AM

InterprovincialParents is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to InterprovincialParents

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFather View Post
I believe woman need to except the fact that men are just as good of a parent as they are, and should be given the opportunity and benefit of the doubt to do so. This family law system is in my opinion, trash, and I do not have a problem in speaking for the vast majority of men that have fought for access or custody and have been treated or made to feel like they have no self worth as a parent but a pay check. Things need to change for the sake of the children. Bill C 422 is exactly what is needed.
I know that (or hope, at least) that you did not mean to generalise all women...I have spent the last 8 years fighting for father's parental rights, both in the courtrooms and in the political arena.

I happen to agree with most of your points regarding mother's and their joy of pilfering dad to pay the mortgage and make them more comfortable... I have a spouse who is treated like a pay cheque, and his ex-wife likely wishes we would never have access, but remain merely the oversized paycheque each month...

I work my ass off for fathers who do not have proper representation, and are being screwed by our canuck pro-mom system....and always hate to hear the man bitch about women and paint us all with the same brush...some of us work and fight very hard for your parental rights!

So your ex is a cunt....doesn't mean we all are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFather View Post
I know your pain, I am now separated from my current wife, because of my ex's ruthless and unscrupulous and disgusting behavior has now affected her 12 year old son, and is the straw that broke the camels back. My ex's constant barrage of disparaging comments, like "dady left us for that woman to to feed that whores's son", frivolous police and CAS involvement, in failed attempts to support her denial of access to one of my sons. Now 4 years later of her constant interference and disruption in our lives, my wife and I, whom I love dearly have separated directly because of my ex's refusal to leave us and our family alone....NO ONE will help!!!
I know what your soon-to-be (?) ex has gone through, with my husband's ex manipulating every situation, using access for blackmail...all sorts of things...but I stayed and lived through it....8 years so far...and I will never give up...I am sorry it has happened to another, undermining their relationship....but at the same time, oddly glad that I am not the only woman out there suffering another's psychosis...

Last edited by Mess; 07-28-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterprovincialParents View Post
I know what your soon-to-be (?) ex has gone through, with my husband's ex manipulating every situation, using access for blackmail...all sorts of things...but I stayed and lived through it....8 years so far...and I will never give up...I am sorry it has happened to another, undermining their relationship....but at the same time, oddly glad that I am not the only woman out there suffering another's psychosis...
I know not all woman are the same, just as not all men are the same, but frankly, in my opinion, women such as yourself are few and far between. My wife, god love her has done everything she could, but now her son has suffered, not that in someway or another hasn't, though all this crap...being deprived he has done without in order for us to per sue, through the court system over the past 4 years, but now it's physiological....and again the straw.

I am in appeal...but since the final order her disgusting behavior has gotten worse, the more power she has the more power she abuses, I have a court order to see me boy and there is nothing I can do, can not start a contempt motion in another court, because of my appeal...I need to figure out if and how I can get fresh evidence introduced in this appeal, but meanwhile it's been 2 months and each day that passes all I can think of is that the judge will say 'status quo'....I've spent everything on the last lawyer, so now representing myself...and my sons are suffering for my lack of knowledge to per sue the matter, but I can not afford a lawyer....I've been to 3 or 4 assignment court meetings and held my own...but the appeal is another ting all together.