Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 01:22 PM

StepLove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead10 View Post
i spoke with our member here and asked about the bill and was told that there was too much opposition from very well organized womens groups.
As a woman, I'm really sad to hear this. Thank you for the information though...

So the fight continues...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Dieseldude4 is on a distinguished road

That is why it needs to be addressed as equality for everyone. The entire divorce act and provincial family relations acts need to be reforemed. Such reform would benefit everyone, including the government. The current system penalizes the higher income earner (typically still the man, but not always) and "allows" a small percentage of the low income earners to abuse the system. These issues along with many others negatively impact both men and woman! The Courts need more authority to force the dead beat parent to become a productive member contributing to the financial needs of the household, rather than allowing them to be a burden and even passing that burden onto helpless step-parents. IT IS TRULY ABOUT EQUALITY FOR EVERYONE, INCLUDING OUR CHILDREN AND IT NEEDS TO BE PRESENTED TO THE POPULATION IN SUCH A WAY!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude4 View Post
That is why it needs to be addressed as equality for everyone. The entire divorce act and provincial family relations acts need to be reforemed. Such reform would benefit everyone, including the government. The current system penalizes the higher income earner (typically still the man, but not always) and "allows" a small percentage of the low income earners to abuse the system. These issues along with many others negatively impact both men and woman! The Courts need more authority to force the dead beat parent to become a productive member contributing to the financial needs of the household, rather than allowing them to be a burden and even passing that burden onto helpless step-parents. IT IS TRULY ABOUT EQUALITY FOR EVERYONE, INCLUDING OUR CHILDREN AND IT NEEDS TO BE PRESENTED TO THE POPULATION IN SUCH A WAY!
I couldn't have said it any better! Thank you!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Velacott has moved on to trying to recriminalize abortion by passing a private members bill to recognize the fetus as a person. I believe he is also among the MPs seeking for the RCMP to lay murder charges against women who get abortions during the third trimester.

He is an extremist and the resistance from the feminist side comes in large part due to the origin of the bill. When someone like Velacott puts something forth, the feminist reaction is to reject it. Logical, no, but a factual reality, yes.

In order to get enough onside to pass such a bill it has to promoted from a position of equality, and the best interest of the children. PERIOD. Any sense that this is coming from the "Men's Rights Movement" and there is an immediate backlash.

The fact that a Harper backbencher put this forward in the first place has already tainted a lot of opinions on the progressive side. That isn't fair, but it is the reality.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Velacott has moved on to trying to recriminalize abortion by passing a private members bill to recognize the fetus as a person. I believe he is also among the MPs seeking for the RCMP to lay murder charges against women who get abortions during the third trimester.

He is an extremist and the resistance from the feminist side comes in large part due to the origin of the bill. When someone like Velacott puts something forth, the feminist reaction is to reject it. Logical, no, but a factual reality, yes.

In order to get enough onside to pass such a bill it has to promoted from a position of equality, and the best interest of the children. PERIOD. Any sense that this is coming from the "Men's Rights Movement" and there is an immediate backlash.

The fact that a Harper backbencher put this forward in the first place has already tainted a lot of opinions on the progressive side. That isn't fair, but it is the reality.
Thanks for more background information Mess. Again, what a shame it started with someone like him. Ugh.
I couldn't agree more with you that it needs to come from a position of equality...in essense that's what this is all about.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Hi again!

If you have a facebook account, there is a page called "Love and Iron Project" that has gotten the attention of the original MP and who is looking to bring this bill back for discussion! Sucks that it's this same MP, but it's something I guess. Thought this was some positive news in possibly the right direction I'll try to forward the link to the disussion when I can get to facebook today.

"It is vital that when educating our children's brains that we do not neglect to educate their hearts" - Dalai Lama
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 PM

NeverGreen is on a distinguished road

Equal Shared Parenting Bill Coming to Parliament

Coming to the House of Commons in Canada in September 2013.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 AM

keepmovingforward is on a distinguished road

Is this for real??
I can't find anything about this on any other website which makes me skeptical.
Anyone heard this other places ?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGreen View Post
Equal Shared Parenting Bill Coming to Parliament

Coming to the House of Commons in Canada in September 2013.
An update on Equal Shared Parenting Bill

On October 03, 2013 I've sent an email to Mr. Maurice Vellacott sayng that I read the artice about the bill and the article states that this Bill was planned to be discussed this past September. I asked if it was discussed and if it was then what is the outcome of this discussion cause I couldn't find it anywhere on the net. I also asked him what can be done ASAP if anything to change the existing situation and expressed my opinion about Family Law and Family courts in Canada.

He responded the very next day. After reading his response I emailed him back asking for his permission to post this response on this forum; I gave him a link to it.

He again responded right away saying: "Sure you can pos the response on that forum." I am doing just that.

Here we go:

"Hi Xxxxxxxx,
We are at the mercy of ordinary schedule of the House of Commons. The bill probably won't come up for debate until Dec. or so now.

There is nothing that can be done ASAP to change the situation. It's legislative so it will take time. You and supporters should contact the Prime Minister, the Justice Minister, your own MP's as well as your provincial representatives, Premier and Justice Minister in whatever province you are in. The Divorce Act needs more comprehensive changes, and the Prime Minister and Justice Minister need to be convinced to make that a priority. And the provincial politicians need to make improvements in the administration of family law a priority as well.

Thank you for writing. We will add you to our email list to keep you up to date with any developments.

Kind regards,
Maurice Vellacott, MP".

He also sent me contact info for Prime Minister and Justice Minister. Here it is:

Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper
Centre Block
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Telephone: 613-992-4211
Fax: 613-941-6900
EMail: stephen.harper@parl.gc.ca

Hon. Peter MacKay
Centre Block
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Telephone: 613-992-6022
Fax: 613-992-2337
EMail: peter.mackay@parl.gc.ca

Web Site: www.petermackay.ca/

Thought you guys would be interested to know.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

I have had the dubious pleasure of debating Mr Vellacott in a public forum (not on this bill, but on another of his pet projects). I can say from that experience that a) he is not phenomenally bright; b) he (or his staff) doesn't do his homework - he falls back on individual stories and "common knowledge" which is erroneous, and doesn't look at actual research or evidence; c) he really, really has an issue with feminists, which drives his choice of causes - he will support something just because he thinks feminists might oppose it, and vice versa. He's more concerned with scoring points against feminism (or what he thinks his version of feminism to be, which is a whole other ballgame) than about the issues themselves. Even members of his own party think he's a bit of a nut. So unless this "equal parenting" cause can find a better advocate in parliament, I don't see it getting too far.