Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 AM

Soiled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
Another thing both parties can do if their relationship is getting serious is to request a voluntary criminal background check on each other. This is not a normal thing to do but...once you've gone through domestic helll it would help set your mind at ease. I had absolutely no clue my STBX had such a violent and criminal history.
I actually like that, and it would be likely far more effective. If your partner isn't willing to do it voluntarily, or starts playing the 'don't you trust me card', that just raises red flags.

As for normal... Checking up on someone under Clares Law would hardly be classified as normal either. As well, once you've been burned once, not taking any reasonable measure available to protect yourself, such as that, wouldn't be normal.

The only question left would be... Does the background check happen before or after one becomes 'facebook serious' and puts up the relationship status
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 AM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadAndTired View Post
What about second chances? Learning from one's mistakes? Simply maturing and growing as a person? Therapy?

Do you think those records should be available to those who were not originally involved? Does a person have a right to know who they are getting involved with?

What about false allegations?

I don't think anyone is "into" domestic violence LF. It's a complicated issue with multi factors.
I certainly believe in second chances. But when there is a strong pattern of abusive behavior, it may be beneficial for some to be cognizant of this persons past before jumping in to relations or whatever with them.

Pedophiles for instance have this kind of thing and rightly so. Sure they get second chances, but neighborhoods are notified in most cases and they are put in registries. People who exhibit clear cut patterns of abuse, although not in registries or told to neighbors, should have that kind of info available to those who seek it. That what was my point.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

I found a document from the Greater Manchester Police and though almost any concerned person can ask for a check, it is the police who decide whether they will release any information. They also state that they will (only?) do it in cases where someone's safety is in danger.

As long as administered in a sane manner, it seems like a good idea. "The devil is in the details."
Old 05-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

this is a good idea, the "alleged" assailant can explain