Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 PM

LifeMovesOn is on a distinguished road
Default Pension plan change affects my child support payment..how is this fair!

My employer has changed my defined benefit pension plan to a defined contribution plan. Now my employer makes cash payments into my RRSP on my behalf. This RRSP payment is added as a taxable benefit to my income on Line 150. I then receive a tax receipt for these RRSP contributions so I do not have to pay income tax on this amount until I retire and start drawing on this money.

This is my gripe with how child support tables work....
Since my income on Line 150 has increased, my child support has gone up as well. Why do I have to pay higher child support today on income that is being sheltered for my retirement for the future? The calculation of child support in this case is unfair.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeMovesOn View Post
Gripes about how the law works belong under political issues. Thread moved.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeMovesOn View Post
Since my income on Line 150 has increased, my child support has gone up as well. Why do I have to pay higher child support today on income that is being sheltered for my retirement for the future? The calculation of child support in this case is unfair.
Because that is how the tables were calculated.

Given that someone makes x on line 150, this is how much they are expected to pay to raise their children, and how much people put away for retirement, or spend on themselves, etc, has already been taken into account.

Everyone pays based on line 150. How much they decide to actually put away for retirement, or spend on cars, or vacations, or other things is up to them, but CS does not deal with individuals, it treats everyone the same for the sake of simplicity.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 PM

SingingDad is on a distinguished road

And then there was that recent decision that basically spelled out that a Veterans Affairs Disability Pension is not income (Dennis Manuge class action suit) which does the exact opposite where some pension income becomes not reportable.
Closed Thread