Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 PM

John Jeffery is on a distinguished road
Default Actually spoke to FRO

I can't believe I actually had a decent call from the FRO today. Of course the information will only cause further problems for me!

I had been argueing with the FRO for MONTHS about arrears and what was intended by the Court Order. Finally I went ahead and did what they said I had to. Now they admit I was right and they have to make an adjustment.

Apparently, their mistake means I have paid an extra $5,500 in Support since January 2008. This is exacty what I told them would happen, but they insisted they were right and I did not understand.

Now they tell me not to pay ANY support until they advise me I owe more (apparently in March 2011)

I'm sure this is not going to sit well with my ex, and she will work to change it because I am sure she does not have anymore of the $5,500, and now will get nothing until 2011.

If the FRO would just be reasonable nad use some common sense, they could solve a whold lot of things and not just create more conflict between 2 peole already out to get each other.

But then...The FRO can do no wrong. I'm siure there is a reason this IS my fault!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jeffery View Post
Apparently, their mistake means I have paid an extra $5,500 in Support since January 2008. This is exacty what I told them would happen, but they insisted they were right and I did not understand.

Now they tell me not to pay ANY support until they advise me I owe more (apparently in March 2011)

I'm sure this is not going to sit well with my ex, and she will work to change it because I am sure she does not have anymore of the $5,500, and now will get nothing until 2011.
I am guessing but...

Your ex was probably well aware that you were paying too much and gladley accepted it, and subsequently spent it. She made her bed, now she can lie in it.

Effecting the children is another story though - that is the real problem if the ex can't support them properly while waiting for the payements to start again....
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM

John Jeffery is on a distinguished road
Default Fro

Billm

You are exactly right. Now the Family "responsibility" office, rather than listening to me when this started, is willing to possibly allow my kids to suffer. How is that responsible? Had they used some common sense and listened to me when this started everything would continue as it should.

I would NEVER knowingly alow my kids to suffer, and would be willing to work this out with the ex. I have e-mailed her (she will not use a phone) but she is not replying.

Unfortunately, because of her hard work, she has made it that I have no contact with my children. Over 3 years now. There is no way I will know if they need things or not.

People always said she would eventually "get hers". Who knew it would be this way!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM

AtALoss is on a distinguished road

Hi John Jeffery,

Congrats on getting progress out of them. Hopefully we will be soon as well. If you saw the Global interview (which is no longer available on thier web site) My spouse is looking at about 32G as an overpayment. Our lawyer agrees we are entitled to interest on that as well so in excess of 120G. So as think they are going to be reluctant to settle anytime soon. For those who have been following His story as a quick update He has spent the last couple of days interviewing with the Ombudsman's Office for thier investigation to his case. been grueling but worth it. Its going well but that is about all can tell for now. When it is all done will definately let all know results. In the mean time we really hope that the exposure we have had of late is making a difference.

Once this portion is finished we will be continuing further with legal action.
In reference to Sillyme's Post, It is true that they have managed to place themselves above the law. In the past 7 years we have contacted just about everyone from and including Harper on down. We have continually got the same response of "we cannot get involved in FRO matters" I find this insane from just about all including the Justice Dept and the Attorney general. Those that are supposed to be the protectors of the law??????????

As I have said many a time and am going to keep doing so we are very interested in hearing and speaking with anyone that has issues with FRO. No matter what side you are on. So please contact us. We are entertaining the idea of either a class action suit or public inquiry. Our lawyer asked us about a year and a half ago to gather up people and stories and he as well knew of several more that would join us. During this conversation we guess that about 60% of thier case load is messed up in one way or another, our lawyer figures it is more like 80%. Just ask around and you will find many. so please we want to hear from you.

constitution1@hotmail.com or me aprilkristia@hotmail.com
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 PM

TimS is on a distinguished road

The FRO should be disbanded. A private company responsible to the government, courts and the people they serve should be put into place. Provincial Government workers tend to get complaceant and lazy in their duties and are rarely held accountable for customer service or the lack there of.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM

AtALoss is on a distinguished road

I dont know if they need to be disbanded entirely. They do serve a purpose but the problem lies in that they have to be brought down several notches. Since 1996 as and entity our government placed them essentially above the law. They have been given the power to do anything they like, and that is wrong. We have spoken to just about everyone from the Prime Minister, Attorney General, Justice Dept. on down to our local MP. No one will get involved in any way shape or form. Again in my mind that is wrong.

I dont know how much you have read about my spouse's story but in a nut shell support was to end in 2002. FRO has pursued him all this time. They are so clueless. We got a call from them Nov 07, saying could not get any credit til his youngest turns 18. On that exact date in 3 months time that child was turning 24. (and by the way has 2 kids of her own) We have been led to believe that the EX wrote a letter in to end support back in Dec2004. Her lawyer and FRO will not produce it despite one of thier managers claims it does. Go figure? By the end of 2005 they had taken evrything from my spouse, his business, house pretty much everything and finally made him homeless at that time. Anyway in Dec 2008 this was finally ended. The Judge put in his order that they had no jurisdiction since 2002. Good bye and thatnk you very much. My resentment is that they now tell us that we must sue the recipiant for the overpayment, (potential in excess of $120G). I cant get answers as to why when it is clearly thier screw up other than "you cant sue FRO". Our Response "Oh really" (watch and see) Our suit against the Crown will be starting first thing this fall.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Albatross is on a distinguished road
Default Conned by FRO

While my lawyer is filing a motion to vary SS due to 50% reduction in income, he advised me to contact FRO and make arrangments with them so they would not persue further enforcements.

Heres what happen to me.

1) June 13, 2009, received letter from Department of Justice, that on June 9, 2009, they were served with a garnishee summons, from FRO.

2) Letter from FRO (June 17, 2009) offering me the opportunity to enter into an agreement to pay the arrears over a negotiable period of time. The FRO will not pursue more aggressive means of enforcing payment if you enter into and honour a "Voluntary Arrears Payment Schedule". They asked me to fill out the enclosed financial statement and make a proposal indicating I will make regular support payments and suggest a reasonable and regular amount towards the arrears. I completed the form agreeing to pay monthly $1,138.00 support plus a further $500.00 towards the arrears made by direct debit from my bank account starting July, 1, 2009. I made this as generous as possible in order to get quick acceptance by FRO.

3) June 29, 2009, received letter from FRO accepting my proposal as mentioned above. As long as I honour the payments required by this Voluntary Arrears Payment Schedule, FRO will not take more aggressive enforcement action such as suspending my driver’s license or ordering me to court to attend a default hearing." We are pleased to accept this arrangement and look forward to working with you.
Family Responsibility Office.

4) I faxed an appeal letter to FRO, respectfully asking they cancel the garnishee summons to the Department of Justice as my voluntary arrangement of paying $1,638.00 per month was accepted. 50% of my CPP and OAS would be $614.00. This totals $2,252.00 per month. My total income is $2,239.00. They claimed my financial statement and my proof of income were not scanned. I again sent them my 2008 income tax and proof of income totaling $2,239.00.

5) August 4, 2009, after accepting the above mentioned proposal, I received a letter from Family Responsibility Office, stating they sent a support deduction notice to my income source (Department of Justice). This is an "AMMENDED SUPPORT DEDUCTION NOTICE".
The amount of the arrears payment is $ 500.00 monthly effective immediately
Family Responsibility Office.

After being conned by FRO, I am paying $1,638.00 by direct debit to FRO, plus a garnishee of $500.00 per month from Department of Justice or 99% on my income.
They don't care !!!!
Suckered
Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Albatross is on a distinguished road
Default There is God !!!

Just received notice from FRO.

They sent Dept. of Justice a "Notice of Termination of Spousal Support" cancelling the $500.00 deduction from my CPP and OAS.

Thank You FRO

Albatross
Closed Thread