Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 PM

leeburn is on a distinguished road
Default Fisher vs Fisher

Hi There

Has anyone read the fisher vs fisher appeal ruling? I have gone through it and the it does make reference to the SSAG as a "useful tool".

What I did take away however, was the appeal court ruling putting time limits on spousal support payment and only using the pre separation income as a basis for this support.

I am on my 8th offer to my ex wife and am currently paying 50% NDI. I am attempting to pay out a lump sum for this and am trying to use a timeframe. I know there are many, many factors to consider, however in light of this decision I am rethinking the amount.

Anyone used this ruling recently?

thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

leeburn,

The SSAG are not law but just guidelines. Often courts may refer to an award but at the end of the day its the courts discretion whether or not to apply. Its basically a starting point.

Fisher v. Fisher, 2008 ONCA 11 (CanLII)

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc...2008onca11.pdf

However a very nice analysis of the guidelines is summarized at Paragraphs 93 to 103.

lv
Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

After reading the case further - to me the Court of Appeal pretty much endorsed the SSAG without saying it. The court did not see the 19 year marriage as long term but rather medium length such as the guidelines suggest and the quantum awarded was in the low range of the guidelines.
Closed Thread