Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

View Poll Results: Do you feel FRO has mishandled you case?
Yes 12 70.59%
No 2 11.76%
Undecided 3 17.65%
Treated fairly 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 04:49 PM

AtALoss is on a distinguished road

That is the thing about FRO they are clueless. Hard to get reasonable answers out of them.
They called us out of the blue about a year ago and said he could not get any credit to his arrears until his youngest turns 18, reasonable enough. But no one bothered to look before they made that call..... she turned 24 a few weeks after that call.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM

yearsgone is on a distinguished road

I'm not involved with the FRO as I'm in NB where we have its equivalent, the FSOS (Family Support Order Service). Recently the laws changed to make them be more aggressive about chasing non compliant exes. Their attitude is, as long as you are getting your monthly support, be happy.

That's fine, and I am grateful for what I get, BUT I still have to pay off my line of credit (money that I lived on), while nothing is being done about his $17K in arrears. I'll never see it. And yes, I AM employed at age 62.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Hi Yearsgone,

It is really a catch 22 with agencies like FRO and others. I sure that there are many here that feel as we do, there never is any debate as to the children being entitled, Where Our personal issues are in the administration of those rights. My sentiments are equal I have heard many many stories of things gone wrong on both sides. It is really tough all around and I feel if they were better managed there would be alot less of the stories that I hear.

I feel of FRO in Ontario at least has very little conscience less accountability for thier actions. I think it terrible that they can take the attitude of we dont give a bleep if you die.......... sad but true we have been told that.

Just on a bit of a humourous side I have a nickname for them...
The Family Irresponsibility Office
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 AM

jjss1977 is on a distinguished road

For many years I was too pay child support the arrears were 20,000 but I knew that something was wrong so I didn't pay. After almost 10 years I finally got the break I needed I found out the mother didn't have custody of the child since the baby was 18 mths old but she didn't tell anyone, when I got the court papers from the trial of her losing the child I contacted the FRO and told them about it. It took them like 6 mths to finally clear me. I asked if this was fraud and if she should pay back the money I had paid to her they told me that it was between me and her. So all in all the FRO are not fair. All they care about is the money.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM

In your situation what they told you was true. there is a clause in Family law that states one would have to sue the recipiant to gain overpayments etc. this is also based on the premis that the situation was just brought to light. In my spouses case they were supplied with numerous opportunies and fact with which to respond to and they never said a word except their typical so what attitde. Where our thoughts are and how we want change is that Just like any other agency or individual they need to be held accountable for ther actions. In this case they just went off on a "tangent" and chose to ignore the evidence in front of them. In my mind it makes them liable therefore we hope will over turn the clause that one has to sue the recipiant. Honestly if FRO is determined that they have messed like anyone else they are responsible. Not too many in the past have challenged FRO and well I guess we will be amoung the first. According to our lawyer there are many who are getting fed up and are starting to challenge them. I think it is about time.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Kelly75 is on a distinguished road

Where to start with FRO
When my husband was paying he paid very faithfully, then the company he was with for 15 years closed, they sent a notice to FRO saying they were no longer an income source and within a week my husband got another job and called FRO to inform them of his new employer, address, phone etc. About 2 weeks later he gets a nasty theatening letter saying that he needs to abide by the order and send in money or notify them of his income source he has 10 days to do so. He calls and says that he already did, they check and say "oh yes we see it here now it takes some time to appear in the system" (which is a lie lol) becuse of the change of jobs and their screw up and the time it takes to set up a new employer he ended up 2 months in arrears, you would have thought he left the country they were so nasty (and he had paid faithfully for 10 years).
Forward to 07 when his son came to live with us and it was HER turn to pay. They received the order in Oct 07, and proceeded to send a deduction order to my husbands work (they misread the order) so his employer was bound to take that off his cheque, well he fixed that and instead of sending the money back to him they sent it to HER and told him that he had to take her to small claims to get it back. Finally they got it right and realized the order was for HER to pay, they sent my husband a letter asking him to tell them where she was working, well we had no clue so told them that, they said well it will be difficult for us to enforce if we have no employer, so he asked about a federal garnishee, they said yes they could do that but they needed her SIN, he said look we have dealt with you for 10 years you have her SIN in our file to which he was told "oh sir thats a closed case we arent allowed to go into that file" so my husband sifted through the 1000s of court papers and found one with her SIN, gave it to them and a month later she had a federal garnishee. He called weekly to see what they were doing, all they did was send letters and call, she never answered either. Finally after his nagging they seized her bank acct (which was an old one with no money) and suspended her passport (she has no license). 2 years have gone by and finally on Feb 3 they took her to a default hearing, nothing happened and she did not file the financial statement as required by law, the lawyer for FRO said nothing. Through our own investigation we found out she and a friend had started a marketing business online, they have an address in the US making it look like an american company and are not paying taxes in either country, but we gave the business info to FRO and they sent the garnishee notice which her friend started to pay as he didnt want their illegal business dragged into court (he has recieved 3 payments total in 2 years) At the default hearing she informed the judge that she hasnt worked in 2 years, and was on EI (how can you be on EI if you havent worked in 2 years lol) anyhow on Jan 19 after receiving a letter from FRO saying they would fine them if they didnt receive a payment my husband recieved a payment from her "employer" and then on Jan 21 he received a payment from EI (from the federal garnishee) and they didnt think it was odd they were receiving both employer and EI payments at the same time but EI sure did I think that FRO treats women way differently, not many men would get away with not showing up for court 3 times, failing to disclose finances and employer and ignoring the FRO for 2 years. The default hearing was held over because she has filed to vary the support order to "wipe out all arrears and stop support" because she cant possibly pay now that its gotten way over $5000, shes a single person and has to live and support herself- thats exactly what she said in her motion to vary, it will be heard April 22.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Thank you Kelly for your reply and vote (really to everyone) FRO is definately biased to Women. But in fairness some of us do have our trials with them as well. I know I have. Part of our whole point is that it is time that reform happen. I am sure many agree. None of it should because ultimately its the kids who suffer in the end.

There is a purpose in mind with this but I invite any here to PM. I would like to hear your stories about FRO. For us this fight is not just about us there are plans in the works and our lawyer wants to know as well. We all know there are problems and it is time to speak out, so we invite your comment.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Think it time I post this again. I am inviting everyone to please read. PM me your comments here if you wish. Thank you to all.

Richard's space - Windows Live
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Hoping more will vote. this is an important issue for us.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 AM

dovan is on a distinguished road

It is my understanding and I could be incorrect but is there not a new legislation that allows FRO to collect on other issues on a court order as well such as extra expenses, dental expense and so forth. My question really is.... do they have the authority to a collect on court costs that have been awarded to the sole custodian parent if there is a file for child support enforce with them as well?
Closed Thread