Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

MSMom - I sometimes thing self-represented people can have an advantage. If you don't understand what a judge has ordered you can simply say "your honour I don't understand...." "I thought if I requested xxx and filed form xxx that I could expect resolution to this issue" "I don't know why you are not addressing this issue." I saw my ex do this MANY times during the period he was self-represented and the judge, in my opinion, was pretty much obligated to give him an answer. On the other hand a lawyer wouldn't dare make the same statement/question as they are expected to fully understand the Rules of Court.

This is simply my perception though and others will hopefully chime in with their personal experiences.

I think if you continue on your present course, with full documentation of your situation, you will succeed in the end. You may just have to remind the judge from time to time that you are, indeed, self-represented. I believe the judges are pretty much obligated to treat you fairly as our current legal system is supposed to be accessible to all, not just those who have lawyers.

Last edited by arabian; 01-22-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Mom View Post
I think the self-repped person is becoming much more common and I think we're not well trained enough to understand the opinions of judges in these conferences.

Just my two cents more.
You may be on to something there MSMom, with more and more litigants opting to self-rep due to the exorbitant costs of retaining a lawyer, maybe one day in the near future, people will 'invent' some sort of vigilante coop court lol!

"You pay this, she pays that, you have 10 days to take care of it - if you don't comply expect a horse head in your bed by the end of the month ... court dismissed" (Amish Justice or something to that effect)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
MSMom - I sometimes thing self-represented people can have an advantage. If you don't understand what a judge has ordered you can simply say "your honour I don't understand...." "I thought if I requested xxx and filed form xxx that I could expect resolution to this issue" "I don't know why you are not addressing this issue." I saw my ex do this MANY times during the period he was self-represented and the judge, in my opinion, was pretty much obligated to give him an answer. On the other hand a lawyer wouldn't dare make the same statement/question as they are expected to fully understand the Rules of Court.

This is simply my perception though and others will hopefully chime in with their personal experiences.

I think if you continue on your present course, with full documentation of your situation, you will succeed in the end. You may just have to remind the judge from time to time that you are, indeed, self-represented. I believe the judges are pretty much obligated to treat you fairly as our current legal system is supposed to be accessible to all, not just those who have lawyers.
Oh, the judge was okay all in all really.

I understood the orders that were made, it was the whole reason why that was completely lost on me.

Lawyers get to pick up on the individual judges, etc. and as a self-rep person I just don't have that insight on the individual that's making these decisions. I don't know their "standard" phrases, etc.

And, we don't know which judge we have until we're at the courthouse, so it's hard to figure out ahead of time.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Judging by how unprepared some lawyers are, I'm sure that a self-rep would do no worse? I mean who knows the details of your own case better than yourself?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 PM

mememe is on a distinguished road

I hear you. I am going to see what happens at next lawyer meeting and build my self confidence.