Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Janibel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Way up North
Posts: 1,497
Janibel will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momforever1956 View Post
I did not have to deal with custody, which in itself is a blessing, but I did have to deal with an HC sicko x and although I know I overspent terribly, I still do not blame my lawyer.
If the people involved are reasonable there is nothing for lawyers to play with. Blame the source. I think the flaw is that the system needs to punish liars in a very harsh way. Anything that does not represent the truth, ie. DV, misrepresenting income, etc. If one is caught lying or playing games the punishment should be severe--I mean severe, fines, jail time, passports taken, big time punishment.
Same situation here, no custody issues, simple SS request as rule of 65 is established, a paid-for home and pensions to be split up ... seems simple enough to me? Mr Toronto's 'triage' idea would be wonderful as it would save a lot of time and $$$ to us, though the lawyer's would not be happy.

Did I mention STBX received a 3 year suspended sentence as he was found guilty of DV in criminal court? Should be a slam-dunk no? I'm set for trial in October - I've sent offers to settle, suggested arbitration ... nothing works. X is bat$hit crazy, he's now participating in mandatory therapy for violent offenders. Big time punishment you say? What's that?

Last edited by Janibel; 05-11-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 217
Once.is.enough is on a distinguished road
Default

You want to reduce maters going to trial? End ss of any kind. There is no good reason why any grown adult shouldn't be supporting themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Janibel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Way up North
Posts: 1,497
Janibel will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once.is.enough View Post
You want to reduce maters going to trial? End ss of any kind. There is no good reason why any grown adult shouldn't be supporting themselves.
Why would I do that? I have been married longer than you have been alive (probably). There's plenty good reasons for awarding SS to either spouse. Go take a look here if you're interested:
About spousal support

BTW, why are you not a registered member?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
arabian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,837
arabian will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once.is.enough View Post
You want to reduce maters going to trial? End ss of any kind. There is no good reason why any grown adult shouldn't be supporting themselves.
Because someone has proven entitlement to, and is receiving SS, does not necessarily mean they are not supporting themselves. I am one of those people.

I agree that stiffer penalties for perjury should be in place and enforced in family court. Mechanisms are in place for this. Judges just need to grow some and enforce IMO.

I too was likely married before you were born (30 yrs). Unlike you (chasing after CS) I didn't wait years for enforcement, rather started the process immediately upon separation.

Last edited by arabian; 05-12-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Janibel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Way up North
Posts: 1,497
Janibel will become famous soon enough
Default

Marriage is like a business partnership - the longer two people have been in business, have invested time and effort on a common goal - the more entitlement to an equal share of said 'business' is to be divided once $hit hits the fan.
It's not a matter of maintaining a style of life similar to what was shared as a couple (that's impossible) it's more to do with cutting the pie in two equal parts. This is especially true of long-term marriages.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 217
Once.is.enough is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
Why would I do that? I have been married longer than you have been alive (probably). There's plenty good reasons for awarding SS to either spouse. Go take a look here if you're interested:
About spousal support

BTW, why are you not a registered member?
I wouldn't know why I am not a registered member. I am glad you managed to stay married for so long. That's not a reason not to support yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 217
Once.is.enough is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
Marriage is like a business partnership - the longer two people have been in business, have invested time and effort on a common goal - the more entitlement to an equal share of said 'business' is to be divided once $hit hits the fan.
It's not a matter of maintaining a style of life similar to what was shared as a couple (that's impossible) it's more to do with cutting the pie in two equal parts. This is especially true of long-term marriages.
I like that analogy. So if you divide a bankrupt business you get nothing. If your marriage is bankrupt end it and each partner supports themselves.

You can argue all you want about it. There is no justification in a grown adult not supporting themselves regardless of any delusional thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 217
Once.is.enough is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Because someone has proven entitlement to, and is receiving SS, does not necessarily mean they are not supporting themselves. I am one of those people.

I agree that stiffer penalties for perjury should be in place and enforced in family court. Mechanisms are in place for this. Judges just need to grow some and enforce IMO.

I too was likely married before you were born (30 yrs). Unlike you (chasing after CS) I didn't wait years for enforcement, rather started the process immediately upon separation.
Then stop being vindictive and give the ss back and support yourself.

Perjury is another mater

Good for you for staying married for so long. As for CS I think that is an entirely different mater but appreciate your attempt at engagement.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Janibel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Way up North
Posts: 1,497
Janibel will become famous soon enough
Default

So I'm delusional and Arabian is vindictive? So what are you pray tell? Actually the point of any discussion is to give an opinion not to launch personal attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 217
Once.is.enough is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
So I'm delusional and Arabian is vindictive? So what are you pray tell? Actually the point of any discussion is to give an opinion not to launch personal attacks.
I gave my opinion. You don't like it. Fair enough
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contempt of Court in Family Law Matters arabian Divorce & Family Law 11 12-05-2012 11:54 AM
Lying in affidavits in family court and perjury charges in criminal court Annie33 Common Law Issues 24 05-21-2011 10:31 AM
Few questions on Family Law and Ontario Court Forms ConcernedSTEPparent Divorce & Family Law 4 02-01-2011 11:56 AM
No Judges in Family Court d_smith2005 Divorce & Family Law 1 02-16-2006 07:30 PM
Infant Access and Breastfeeding quake Parenting Issues 31 02-01-2006 05:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.