Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough
Default Family court judge's caution to warring couples

Family court judge's book a caution to warring couples | Toronto Star

Ontario's family courts are being "crippled" by warring couples who are representing themselves in complex divorce cases – including bitter battles over child custody, a long-time judge says.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

I disagree that we are crippling the system. The system doesn't fawking work!

Not enough judges - appoint more.

Bitter custody battles between feuding parents - have consequences for those parents who are not playing fairly. BIG consequences.

Cease hiding behind "best interests of the children" which are merely catchy words strung together and used far too often. And PUT the kids first. EVERY separation/divorce should start out at 50/50 custody and access.

Penalize asshole lawyers who promote conflict and/or lie. Don't allow them to prosper off this crap.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 PM

annapurna66 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting that article. I agree with the statement that there are no winners in family law only losers. After spending almost 2 years of my salary and 3 years in court...I eventually gave in...just to avoid trial. The system is flawed. Justice is unattainable. There is little help for those of us who are forced to self rep after depleting all our resources. In the end, I basically bought my lawyer his new Audi and signed an unfair agreement just to be done.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
I disagree that we are crippling the system. The system doesn't fawking work!

Not enough judges - appoint more.

Bitter custody battles between feuding parents - have consequences for those parents who are not playing fairly. BIG consequences.

Cease hiding behind "best interests of the children" which are merely catchy words strung together and used far too often. And PUT the kids first. EVERY separation/divorce should start out at 50/50 custody and access.

Penalize asshole lawyers who promote conflict and/or lie. Don't allow them to prosper off this crap
No kidding, mine actually made a HC situation even worse! I'm so disappointed with the entire process ... And yes 50/50 should be law (unless there are serious proven issues).
Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna66 View Post
Thanks for posting that article. I agree with the statement that there are no winners in family law only losers. After spending almost 2 years of my salary and 3 years in court...I eventually gave in...just to avoid trial. The system is flawed. Justice is unattainable. There is little help for those of us who are forced to self rep after depleting all our resources. In the end, I basically bought my lawyer his new Audi and signed an unfair agreement just to be done.
And what did you get for all your money invested? Zippo! It drives me nuts to see how people are being taken advantage of by this 'system', hoping to get a fair deal in the process - haven't seen anything fair in criminal or family court.

By the time you reach trial (3-5 years down the road) the initial retainer is spent and your lawyer dumps you for another chump... it's BS.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:12 PM

I know...I fluctuate between angry disgust at the system and disheartened depression at all the money I spent for no good result. I seriously feel beat up and bruised from the whole process. Is there a support group on this site for battered self reps?!?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 PM

I don't know what the exact statistics are - but my guess is that at least half of all members in ODF are self-rep'd. If it's any consolation to you, those of us with lawyers are just as jaded and disheartened as you are.

At least your not paying to get fluk'd.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Lol...thanks Janibel...I feel better...I think.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:25 PM

MrToronto is on a distinguished road

The Law's are there in the books and there's also a presumption of 50-50 for custody (although our politicians won't make it a LAW that it's 50-50 the cowards)

IF the actual LAW Rules are applied by Judge's then the conflict is over it's a cut and dried matter but they don't they'll tell you themselves We know the Rules and we work between them.

That's why there's a thousand cases on the same issue with a thousand different outcomes depending on how a certain Judge worked the Rules.

That Judge's Book is on the "disease" of the confused broke self rep's but he's the absolute symptom.

I think there should be a "GRADEING" system for lawyers and there cases starting from the Conferences up to a Trial. I don't now how many times even at Trial I heard Judges mutter for gawd sakes this is a simple matter...lmao

Endorsement

Grade A simple matter

Grade B medium matter

Grade C complex matter..... mediate to narrow issues(whatever)

As the Grades go forward into a Trial I think according to the Grade when it comes to awarding "COSTS" even a Lawyer that won should lose and pay the losing party! If it was Graded a simple matter and turned it into the O.J Simpson Trail.......deciding at the end who was reasonable or who provided Offers to Settle is ineffective when awarding Costs there needs to be more onus on the lawyer to SETTLE and help Judges (as there profession dictates lawyers to do...as Friends of the Court)
Old 05-11-2014, 04:16 PM

momforever1956 is on a distinguished road

I did not have to deal with custody, which in itself is a blessing, but I did have to deal with an HC sicko x and although I know I overspent terribly, I still do not blame my lawyer.
If the people involved are reasonable there is nothing for lawyers to play with. Blame the source. I think the flaw is that the system needs to punish liars in a very harsh way. Anything that does not represent the truth, ie. DV, misrepresenting income, etc. If one is caught lying or playing games the punishment should be severe--I mean severe, fines, jail time, passports taken, big time punishment.