Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Honest lawyers wont be wearing Armani.Not in family law anyway.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 AM

caranna is on a distinguished road

Maybe this will help those of us who can't tell an Armani suit. The ladies' start at #4 I think

armani suit | eBay
Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 PM

ChrisB is on a distinguished road

I finally received a response from my lawyer yesterday and funny how all of a suddenn the blame for all the errors are now my fault. I guess I played a bigger role than I thought and maybe I should have been the one being paid. Either way she did reduce her bill by about $3200 plus tax but still a far cry from the amount I feel I was overcharged.

So now that I have ranted I have one more question.

Has anyone every actually taken there lawyers invoice to the assesment process and if so after it was all said and done do you feel it was actually worth it?

Thanks Chris
Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I could be incorrect here but I believe Hadenough disputed a legal bill and was successful. Not sure how she went about it though.

Did your lawyer give you an itemized statement at all or just simply reduce the bill? I'd be very firm on requiring her itemized statement.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM

ChrisB is on a distinguished road

No the bill was not itemized from what i see it just shows the days she prepared and the days in trial but not a detail of times,mileage etc.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Ok now go to your Ontario Rules of Court and there should be a guide on allowable charges (there is in Alberta). Do a comparison.

I've never received a bill for mileage from a lawyer, just an indication of hours (eg. date, description, hours). Of course there is always a disbursements itemization. Does your lawyer note the date - telephone call - time? That's usually an easy one to check.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Chris, I had asked you whether or not you had received the itemized statements in my first reply. I fired my first lawyer, but before I did, I requested and received itemized statements from him. The longer you wait to request them, the harder it will be to get them.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM

The itemized statements should include:

Date; Description of Word Done; Hours or Time Worked (usually in increments of 6 minutes); Amount charged, and Name or Initials of persons who did the work. If it was an assistant it should be at a lower rate than the lawyer in question.

These above headings should be applied to each and every day the work was done, so it might take several pages, with the total amount at the end. (GST/HST is added).
Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM

mr.mom is on a distinguished road

During the assessment do they look at the 6 minute increments lawyers use? For example. I got billed .20 "To receive an e-mail from you regarding why opposing party has not given us her financial disclosure"

This is the e-mail "Hi So and So, When was the disclosure due by? I thought it was due in June."

I got billed 12 minutes for something that takes 10secs to read.

This goes on and on. 24 mins for something that takes about 1 minute to read and a couple of keystrokes to respond.

It seems to me that at least 6 mins has been added to every item on my bill for every email or letter

Billed 24 mins to tell someone to adjourn a motion, of course then I get billed by that someone to listen to my lawyer instruct her to adjourn the motion lol

Is this normal billing?

In the end it doesn't matter. I didn't know I could assess a bill and it has been past 30 days
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mom View Post
During the assessment do they look at the 6 minute increments lawyers use? For example. I got billed .20 "To receive an e-mail from you regarding why opposing party has not given us her financial disclosure"

This is the e-mail "Hi So and So, When was the disclosure due by? I thought it was due in June."

I got billed 12 minutes for something that takes 10secs to read.

This goes on and on. 24 mins for something that takes about 1 minute to read and a couple of keystrokes to respond.

It seems to me that at least 6 mins has been added to every item on my bill for every email or letter

Billed 24 mins to tell someone to adjourn a motion, of course then I get billed by that someone to listen to my lawyer instruct her to adjourn the motion lol

Is this normal billing?

In the end it doesn't matter. I didn't know I could assess a bill and it has been past 30 days
Utterly crazy, isn't it? I had genuine sticker shock when I got my first lawyer bill. It's a business model that, to my admittedly limited knowledge, isn't practiced in any other industry. The plumber does not charge for every phone call needed to set up the appointment. The hairdresser does not charge extra for any lengthy instructions ahead of the haircut. The contractor does not bill for every km it took him to go to the building centre to get the drywall and nails. Only the legal profession does not absorb such expenses as simply the cost of doing business.

But I can't see it ever changing, because the people who could do so are current or former lawyers, and don't see anything wrong with it.

My lawyer has a tendency to itemize a bill much as you describe, and then reduce the whole thing at the end by a whatever % "courtesy discount." The % has varied with different bills and I don't get any advance notice about it. So when I disagree with any items, I'm never sure if it's worth contesting, because the discount may vanish or something. I'm sure that's the cunning plan, so I just pay instead of arguing. I really am at the point where I dislike my lawyer, and if I wasn't so close to being done, I'd find a new one. But now, I know I'll end up paying the final bill without arguing, simply to have it all done with. And the lawyer benefits all the way to the bank.

For an amicable divorce, mine sure has taken a long time and cost a lot of money. I don't want to imagine what an acrimonious divorce involving a trial might be like!

Last edited by Rioe; 09-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Closed Thread