Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Among the factors that may also play into it, and perhaps be more important than gender:

- are the winners more often those who bring forward the action, or those who respond?
- are the winners more often those who have legal representation, or those who self represent?
-Are the winners more often those who have primary custody?

In order to determine whether or not gender is a factor, you would have to eliminate these factors, and probably some others I've missed.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

One thing I would like to point out, especially since I was the first one to throw cold water on the OP's idea, is that a weak statistical analysis is not necessarily worthless. All studies in family law are weak by nature, so an analysis as proposed by the OP provides evidence, even if it does not necessarily provide proof.

For example, if he does find that women win more at court, then that is certainly evidence of bias, and could inspire further number crunching.

Also, difficult does not mean impossible. I can easily think of ways to control the samples, it would just be labour intensive. Take judgements, strip away identifying gender cues, and ask people to judge which cases are similar. Compare those cases against each other, especially those in which cases are considered "similar" except for the reversal of genders.

Anyhow, as I said earlier, there is almost certainly a strong anti-male bias in family law, and finding evidence of said bias is not a bad thing, but it is hard to do stats well.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM

mememe is on a distinguished road

I agree that data is key and can provide valuable insights. A proper study/statistical analysis and scientfic process needs to be applied first prior to making conclusions. Based on your hypothesis that the courts favour women... But what are the factors that result in this happening if it is true?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Moolight is on a distinguished road

I can say that I did not see any bias in my experience with the courts.

It is easy to see bias when we are unhappy with a process.
Remember that the judge will push as much possible for both of you to come to an agreement regardless who is wright or wrong, this is not criminal court.

It is all about how the case is presented to them and outcome for the children. When tow parents are fighting, they already loss their focus from the children and there is often to cut and dried solution.

A side note - look around you, why does men/boy haircuts cheeper than Women/girls haircuts. I am talking here just haircut not fancy treatment like perm or coloring...
Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM

SingingDad is on a distinguished road

Have you seen this book?

The Best Interests of Children: An Evidence-based Approach - Paul Millar - Google Books

I think this is close to what you are trying to do