Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM

SadAndTired is on a distinguished road

Never said it was stbx's fault that I only make $9,000 a year but I have sweat and toiled through our entire marriage so that he could obtain his medical degree. I only made $9,000 or so in each of the last five years (which includes 3.5 years of being married). Prior to kids, I supported him, his education and his ridiculous tuition costs.

Originally it was so our family could have a bright future. He gave up a professional 6 figure income because he was "unhappy" with the job to go to medical school. Short term sacrifice for long term gain.....

I don't see it as any different than I put money, hours and effort into a business. I expect to be able to get some of my investment back. If I worked my butt off and put my time into renovating a house, should I not be entitled to half of its value? What if I grew a business that he got to keep? Would that be fair?

There are complicating factors that go along with our situation that are best kept to myself. Fundamentally when all things are considered (the most important not posted here), I have such a clear case of entitlement that stbx has conceded by paying voluntarily for over a year now.

I would love to work in my field as I love what I do but that will be another year or two while I reestablish that.

I don't disagree that it is a complicated system where everyone seems to lose out in some way. However, in my own situation, table child support/cctb is not enough to level out our households.

Last edited by SadAndTired; 03-01-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM

fireweb13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fireweb13

After calculating, had to impute my ex's income my number is about $200 less than I am paying. I inputed $10 000 and $20 000 for my ex's income but I am not sure her actual income, either way it made no difference.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road

My child support would drop from $1261 a month for my 2 kids to $881.00
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM

fireweb13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fireweb13

Its interesting as well because if I add in potential new children, IE my fiancee and I have a child, my support goes down. Its not a big difference but at least they are taking into account the fact that both children need care.
Its all a pipe dream though, our system will not change
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

SingingDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweb13 View Post
Its interesting as well because if I add in potential new children, IE my fiancee and I have a child, my support goes down. Its not a big difference but at least they are taking into account the fact that both children need care.
Its all a pipe dream though, our system will not change
A system that accounts for the actual situation of the families and children involved is definitely a breath of fresh air.

It will be slow to change, but it will have to with time. Many states that use the Delaware-Melson method for CS (very similar to what we have in Canada) have started to rescind those tables for other methods. Unfortunately Canada seems to be on the trailing edge of these changes more often than not.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM

SingingDad is on a distinguished road
Default Canadian/Australian CS Model

I had some time on my hands so I set up a mock-up of how the Australian Method could translate to Canada in excel.

-I used real Canadian costing data per family size from info I found at Statscan (not the 40/30 ratios)
-Geared support to be paid based on a combination of Access and Income percents
-Geared it to the actual available costs available to children and parents after basic reserves (Low income cut offs) have been met
-Included a way to deal with other dependent Children.

I'm pretty happy with the result. Awards are reasonable and representative.

It's not idiot proof so if to see what payments would be with more than 6 kids you are out of luck.

Have a look.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Support calculator.zip (21.1 KB, 9 views)
Closed Thread