Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Political Issues

Political Issues This forum is for discussing the political aspects of divorce: reform to divorce laws, men's rights, women's rights, injustices in the divorce system, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 AM

PeacefulMoments is on a distinguished road

My situation is not one where the father would have wanted or attempted shared custody. He also believed our D would have had her best interests served by residing primarily with me. This was in fact a discussion we had had since his lifestyle led to many disagreements and the potential for us to break up. It doesn't make him an evil person for understanding that and doesn't make me a "gatekeeper" either. Although I didn't end up leaving him and instead stuck it out and supported him to the very end, I still say that 50/50 would not have been a good solution for our family at that time, even with the benefit of hindsight. My husband was in fact an alcoholic, although I did not want to believe it for many years and in fact I lost him slowly and painfully to cirrhosis last year.

To say I don't really support 50/50 at all based on the fact it would not have been a good choice for our family does not mean I don't support it.

Last edited by PeacefulMoments; 01-31-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: fixed error
Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

This thread has reached this status:

Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 AM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I use the term “gatekeeper”…which isn’t that often, I use it to refer to parents are denying access (FOR NO GOOD REASON). Saying you don’t like the OP’s attitude = not good enough. Saying you “think” he’s talking negative about you = Not a good enough reason. I’m just seeing a ton of parents denying access and my personal opinion is that most of their reasoning stinks and wouldn’t hold up in court.

Are you evil or a gatekeeper if the dad doesn’t want 50/50 and feels the child would be better off with mom? No, not at all. That’s an entirely different situation.

Quote:
To say I don't really support 50/50 at all based on the fact it would not have been a good choice for our family does not mean I don't support it.
See? Your ex was an alcoholic (ADDICTION) which affects his ability to parent. Your ex didn't want 50/50 .. so that obviously changes the situation also. Cases like that I'm 100% against 50/50.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM

Tayken:

Actually, I think we're midst of a pretty good, mature little discussion right now Tayken.....no need to google broken trains and post them here....you interrupted a nice little convo.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacefulMoments View Post
I would say the wellbeing of my child makes it my business.
And that's exactly how I initially felt about that. But it has been communicated to me what the other parent does with their life is not any of my business.

Hope you know it's nothing personal, but rather me re-iterating to you what has been iterated to me, for the similar positions as yourself that I took on some similar issues.

I guess what I am trying to get at, is how do you prove what the other parent is doing is directly effecting your child?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:29 AM

I think that father's need to recognize that they are just as good of parents as mothers ... even in the early years. When this starts happening, fathers will stop acquiescing a status quo of EOW.

Both parents need to realize that "Gender" does not correlate at all with "better parenting skills". Unfortunately, dad's who make the early mistakes of not being there have a very tough time achieving 50/50, unless they worked there way up to an almost 50/50 regime over the years.

Quote:
[47] In coming to the foregoing conclusion, I have also been guided by For The Sake of The Children - Report of the Special Joint Committee on Child Custody and Access -December 1998 at p. 9 where it is concluded that “evidence does not support that one sex had innately superior parenting abilities.

http://www.canlii.org/en/nl/nlsctd/d...&resultIndex=3
I didn't have maternity leave....I didn't breastfeed. But I was there every second I could be. My ex slept most the time I was home and I took over all duties....literally for half the time....and I was good at it.
I didn't complain of lack of sleep when my daughter woke up in the night ... I loved the warmth, the drool on my shoulder and singing until she fell back asleep. I got up in the night much more than my ex.

Once males start realizing that they're just as good of a parent as a mother .. and start challenging the old. primitive prescribed gender roles....we will see more 50/50.

Last edited by LovingFather32; 01-31-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Free Speech:

Shared Custody

A) I support shared custody
B) I support shared custody, unless one parent is shown to be unfit
C) I support shared custody, as long as both parents can prove that they are fit.

The parents should never have to prove they are fit for 50/50. 50/50 should be the default starting point. The onus should be on the opposing parent or the courts to prove a parent unfit for 50 % exposure.

Last edited by trinton; 01-31-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
The parents should never have to prove they are fit for 50/50. 50/50 should be the default starting point. The onus should be on the opposing parent or the courts to prove a parent unfit for 50 % access.
It's what I've been saying from the beginning ... they need to have great evidence to disallow an equal relationship.

Unfortunately many posters just hear this... "LF32 thinks 50/50 is for every case". That seems to just get repeated over and over here and I've never said anything close to that.

Isn't calling another parent "Unfit to Parent" an allegation? Isn't the onus on the parent making the allegation to be able to prove that with solid evidence. So let's chat about it. What "evidence" would stop a 50/50 relationship?

Last edited by LovingFather32; 01-31-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingFather32 View Post
It's what I've been saying from the beginning ... they need to have great evidence to disallow an equal relationship.

Unfortunately many posters just hear this... "LF32 thinks 50/50 is for every case". That seems to just get repeated over and over here and I've never said anything close to that.

Isn't calling another parent "Unfit to Parent" an allegation? Isn't the onus on the parent making the allegation to be able to prove that with solid evidence?
Absolutely.

And I'm not here to bash those posters. It's a debate. Feel free to make arguments and hear counter arguments back.

The only times that I would agree with them is

1. if a father was presented 50/50 but turned it down for every other weekend access, due to work or whatever, and was aware that he could put child in daycare while he is at work, but still have the child over in the evenings and at night.

2. the father is far from the mom and is not able to move any closer, and cannot be granted sole custody to, and mom can't move closer to dad.

3. the father turned down 50/50 due to new family and kids, at which point I would say access should be cut off.

Last edited by trinton; 01-31-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
Absolutely.

And I'm not here to bash them. It's a debate. Politicians yell and scream at each other all the time.

The only times that I would agree with them is

1. if a father was presented 50/50 but turned it down for every other weekend access, due to work or whatever, and was aware that he could put child in daycare while he is at work, but still have the child over at night.

2. the father is far from the mom and is not able to move any closer, and cannot be granted sole custody to, and mom can't move closer to dad.

3. the father turned down 50/50 due to new family and kids, at which point I would say access should be cut off.
I agree with all those situations where 50/50 wouldn't work. Also past abuse and addictions, extreme mental health conditions, etc.