Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 AM

sobeit is on a distinguished road
Default Unaware of the system

Hello, I am new. I have an 18 year old daughter. Have been married for 35 years until I found out my husband has been cheating on me. Affair has been occuring out of the country. I don't make much money as he does (retailor). I don't have money saved up and I relied on my husband for everything, now I would like to get a divorce but my main concern is what do I get? How much do I get of everything. I am extremely hurt for the cheater he is, and would like to get a lot of cash for what he has ruined.....is this possible? I would like him to have nothing and give me most of it. I do not know if it makes a difference but I was not married here?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

It's not possible to get cash as payment for the hurt he has cost you. If you enter the process with that in mind you will ruin yourself and cost yourself thousands in legal costs and never get what you want.

You can and should receive 50% of all assets accumulated during the marriage. It can be complicated and somewhat costly to figure out how much and where it's stashed, or it can be simple and cheap. No two cases are alike.

You can and likely should receive spousal support after a 35 year marriage. If he has a pension you should receive 1/2 of pension accumulated during marriage.

If your child is going to post-secondary, they are still considered a dependant and you should receive Child Support IF SHE STILL RESIDES WITH YOU.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM

I suppose Thank you for the information, but one more thing you mentioned spousal support? Do you know what this entails? How does it work? and how much?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 AM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Here is a good place to start learning about how our system works: The Supporting Families Experiencing Separation and Divorce Initiative
Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Thank you so much
Closed Thread