Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Canucks is on a distinguished road
Default Ontario to force couples seeking divorce to attend mediation session

I am going through a divorce process... notice has been served... so how does this new rule impact me...

Ontario to force couples seeking divorce to attend mediation session | Daily Brew - Yahoo! News
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

You go to an information session and get your form stamped. Your ex does the same.

If you are the applicant you better go. If your ex is the respondent and doesn't, they can't use that to refuse court action, the process would go ahead but they look like crap.

The article is misleading BTW. It isn't a mediation session, you attend separately and the session describes the court process and suggest ways you can settle out of court.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Kenny is on a distinguished road

In New Brunswick way back in 2000, we were supposed to attend "For the Sake of the Children." Part I was mandatory and Part II was for high conflict divorces. I went and got my form signed. My ex-wife refused but the court didn't care.

I think the information on separation and divorce should be given to both a groom and bride before a marriage license is issued, as opposed to after a marital breakdown. Of course, the question could be asked if it is useful at all!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Doesn't matter anyway. Walk into any class with a closed mind and see hom much you learn. Nada.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM

Lorac is on a distinguished road

It's called an MIP "Mandatory Information Program". Like Mess said it's an information session. It's usually 2 hours long. The first to speak can either be the lawyer and this person will tell you all the legal aspects and what to expect when you go through the different stages up to divorce and court. Then either a Social Worker or someone who works with children will tell you what the effect is on children, what not to involve them in, how to stay neutral to each other for the sake of the children ect.

I just came back from one about a month ago. I know a lot of places where the lawyer will not give advice on this for fear that someone could come back on them and say "well such and such lawyer said I could do that or couldn't do that". Then they could be in trouble and be sued themselves. They also want the lawyers to do this for free and again that's not what they want.
Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Canucks is on a distinguished road

hm... so looks like it will be a torture for me... as I have no kids and no property issue.... so LORAC... what all would I have to go through??

I have served notice to my wife.... so I am waiting for 30 days... when do and how do I will have to attend this class??

Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Lorac is on a distinguished road

Morning Canucks,

My lawyer sent me a notice in the mail letting me know on what date to appear at the court house. Your wife will also get a notice telling her when she has to appear. When it's over you will get a certificate stating you attended the session. Either you or your lawyer can file it at the court house after they've stamped it showing proof you were there and then it's filed.

I also do not have any children involved they are all adults with children of their own. Regardless you will still have to sit and listen to that 1/2 of the session. It's a very simple pain in the butt but nothing difficult about it whatsover. Just attend, listen, file, and go home :-)

Cheers
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM

lorlaman is on a distinguished road
Default Info Session

And should this not apply to common law as well?
If it is designed to consider the best interest of the children, do not common law children deserve their parents attending? There has to be some constitiutuional right of the children violation.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM

caro46 is on a distinguished road

Must apply to common law since I was (common law) and had to go!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 AM

Kenny is on a distinguished road

Really. That is odd because people who are common-law don't really get divorced!
Closed Thread