Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmyfreedom View Post
In addition I'd like to add that the phonecalls show a complete lack of respect for the other parent's parenting time. You had your turn and now allow her to have her time with the kiddo.

In my own personal experience I have never interfered nor undermined my ex. If I have a valid concern I will approach on my own time. When boundaries are respected then conflicts usually decrease same.

I'm surprised CAS wasn't contacted as protocol when your child acted in a violent manner. Your kid is lashing out but you cannot blame this on your ex's mental illness. You mentioned she is being treated so she is getting help.

If you bring this to court it will be a waste of time and money for you all. Contact CAS for some referrals for child therapy. Your kid needs help ......
I think it's important to clarify that not ALL phone calls show a complete lack of respect.

Mandatory, regular phone calls that are required definitely intrude on space.

However, my ex and I don't PREVENT our kids from initiating phone calls if they want to share something exciting about their day. So much of these situations can be managed by common sense. One of my daughter's teeth fell out the other day while she was at my ex's house. She called me using my ex's phone. We chatted about it a bit, and then I didn't see or talk to her until about 3 days later when she arrived at my house as scheduled.

In my opinion, requiring the kid to call one parent while in the custody of the other creates tension between the parents, and also makes the child anxious.
When the structure is removed, and the kids know that they can call either parent when they need it, they get to feel like it isn't an obligation.

The same concept goes for extracurricular events in public. If my ex is taking my kids to hockey or soccer on her week, I do indeed show up to watch, I respect the boundaries and recognize that she is calling all of the shots, because it is her week. We'll sometimes sit near each other. Other times, she'll situate herself at the other end of the area for one reason or another. Either way, our kids are free to interact with either parent, but they clearly understand that they are there with a 'lead' parent for that given week. For example, we were at my son's hockey last week during my ex's time, and my daughter was there watching the proceedings as well. She came up to me and asked me if I could buy her a snack. I told her she had to ask her mom because it was her mom that best knew what she had eaten that day, and it a snack was permitted.

One might look at me tying phone calls to extracurriculars and question the connection, but I'm going to suggest that they are VERY similar examples of some key principles that effective co-parenting entails:

1) Mutual respect
2) Boundaries
3) Flexibility
4) Putting the kids first

You have noted that your ex has some mental health challenges. That might very well be true. Everyone that knows my ex and I suspect that she has been clinically depressed for 10 years, but she refuses to do anything about it. As a result, I've had to carefully consider my interactions with her, and try to avoid conflict points, and subtly remove opportunities for stress. Let me tell you, attempting to reduce your ex's custody is NOT going to make things better. If she is struggling as a parent to follow the plan, ask yourself what you can do to help her. It is a delicate balance for sure. My girlfriend gets frustrated with me at times because she feels that I give my ex a 'pass', but I'm not helping my ex for her benefit, I'm helping her for my kid's benefit.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:17 PM

AikidoWins is on a distinguished road

Your kid is lashing out but you cannot blame this on your ex's mental illness. You mentioned she is being treated so she is getting help.

I thought she was getting help-- but turns out, her words not mine-- " I stopped helping myself, I couldn't afford it any longer."

In addition I'd like to add that the phone calls show a complete lack of respect for the other parent's parenting time. You had your turn and now allow her to have her time with the kiddo.

In my own personal experience I have never interfered nor undermined my ex

I have never placed any phone call on speaker -- in fact when his mother calls, I either ask him to go to his room, or if its nice outside I go putter around the yard. This has been a concern of mine for a long time that she places me on speaker.

I'm surprised CAS wasn't contacted as protocol when your child acted in a violent manner. Your kid is lashing out but you cannot blame this on your ex's mental illness. You mentioned she is being treated so she is getting help.

As I said-- I am unsure if CAS got involved-- This happened on the Friday, and our son went back to his mothers, so, since this happened-- I have not seen my son in 3 weeks, and spoke to him once on the phone...with his mother listening and telling him what to say. That is emotional abuse. There is many many more examples of this abuse. About 4 weeks ago-- our son came home to me and around dinner, he started crying.. What is going on is his mother is showing him texts for our past ( when we were in court ) telling my son that I am a monster-- nasty father. That I don't love him. I have proof of this.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:23 PM

May I add-- Our son knows he can call his mother ANYTIME when I have him. and he has --- but-- our son has said to me that he wants to call me-- but mother doesn't allow him to use her phone... but he can use it for games.....

Let me tell you, attempting to reduce your ex's custody is NOT going to make things better. If she is struggling as a parent to follow the plan, ask yourself what you can do to help her

What more can I do? Every time I do help her, she just throws a wrench in our lives and causes drama. And this time-- the drama resulted in me not seeing our son for 3 weeks and only hearing his voice once.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittzu View Post
May I add-- Our son knows he can call his mother ANYTIME when I have him. and he has --- but-- our son has said to me that he wants to call me-- but mother doesn't allow him to use her phone... but he can use it for games.....

Let me tell you, attempting to reduce your ex's custody is NOT going to make things better. If she is struggling as a parent to follow the plan, ask yourself what you can do to help her

What more can I do? Every time I do help her, she just throws a wrench in our lives and causes drama. And this time-- the drama resulted in me not seeing our son for 3 weeks and only hearing his voice once.

Please properly quote what we are saying. You're copying and pasting our text into your own posts with nothing that separates your own words from ours. It forces people to re-read the posts before.

Have you taken her to court over the access denials?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:55 PM

I will stop copy n paste... so I just press the quote ( gray button ) ???

And no -- I have not taken her to court. This is the first time of denial
Old 11-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
have been separated with my baby’s mother for 3.5-4 years now and we have a 50/50 arrangement. We had a written agreement but she took me to court after that was signed.

What process was used to determine custody the first time? Did you guys mediate, did you have a custody assessement and/or trial or did you just reach an agreement before a trial?

Also, during the initial custody battle, did you bring up this mental illness and was it reviewed?

Quote:
And her sisters daughter is a now cross gender man/woman.
lol...What connection does this have to her supposed mental illness? Being gay, lesbian, transgendered, etc is not a mental disorder. That was actually pretty offensive and bigoted.

Quote:
Is his mothers mental illness something that is genetic? Could he be having symptoms of that?
Or maybe he's acting out because he's got two divorced parents who can't come to a reasonable custody arrangement and are trashing each other and at each other's throats.

I'm very curious if she was evaluated during the first custody agreement for parental fitness due to this supposed mental disorder. I'm curious as to why it was overlooked or whether it was reviewed at all.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittzu View Post
I will stop copy n paste... so I just press the quote ( gray button ) ???

And no -- I have not taken her to court. This is the first time of denial
Yes, the Quote button is best. If you don't want to quote the entire message, press the Quote button, but you will see that you can delete whatever you want within the Quote brackets that look like this: [ ]

If she does this again, and you have documented emails showing her protest of the matter, you need to take the matter to court.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

What process was used to determine custody the first time? Did you guys mediate, did you have a custody assessement and/or trial or did you just reach an agreement before a trial?

Also, during the initial custody battle, did you bring up this mental illness and was it reviewed?

lol...What connection does this have to her supposed mental illness? Being gay, lesbian, transgendered, etc is not a mental disorder. That was actually pretty offensive and bigoted.

Or maybe he's acting out because he's got two divorced parents who can't come to a reasonable custody arrangement and are trashing each other and at each other's throats.

I'm very curious if she was evaluated during the first custody agreement for parental fitness due to this supposed mental disorder. I'm curious as to why it was overlooked or whether it was reviewed at all.
You might be reading too much into what the OP is saying about the transgendered. As far as you know, the OP is simply pointing out that there is a lot of change and confusion in the little guy's life, and the new reality of someone close experiencing a gender identity clarification might add to the child's stress.

I think you were a bit quick to jump on the 'why' he might have mentioned it, and it wasn't fair to presume it was coming form a bigoted place.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:35 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You might be reading too much into what the OP is saying about the transgendered. As far as you know, the OP is simply pointing out that there is a lot of change and confusion in the little guy's life, and the new reality of someone close experiencing a gender identity clarification might add to the child's stress.

I think you were a bit quick to jump on the 'why' he might have mentioned it, and it wasn't fair to presume it was coming form a bigoted place.
Uh...actually I read exactly what he said. Another poster asked if there was a history of mental illness in the family and he responded with that.

If you're suggesting that this kid is whacking people in the back of the head and stealing IPODs because his ex's niece is transgendered, I'm sorry but that's a load of crap.

I have many gay friends that are raising extremely brilliant well-behaved kids...one of those parents is transgendered and I find what this poster said bigoted and offensive. Being transgendered is not a mental illness and has nothing to do with a family history of mental illness ....period. Its irrelevant, has no connection to the subject matter and should have never been mentioned in this context period.

If you want relevance, however, look up the child behavioral statistics on kids with bickering, flaming divorced parents who regularly bash each other in front of the kid. That would be relevant to this discussion.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
Uh...actually I read exactly what he said. Another poster asked if there was a history of mental illness in the family and he responded with that.

If you're suggesting that this kid is whacking people in the back of the head and stealing IPODs because his ex's niece is transgendered, I'm sorry but that's a load of crap.

I have many gay friends that are raising extremely brilliant well-behaved kids...one of those parents is transgendered and I find what this poster said bigoted and offensive. Being transgendered is not a mental illness and has nothing to do with a family history of mental illness ....period. Its irrelevant, has no connection to the subject matter and should have never been mentioned in this context period.

If you want relevance, however, look up the child behavioral statistics on kids with bickering, flaming divorced parents who regularly bash each other in front of the kid. That would be relevant to this discussion.
I have no doubt that the primary cause of the child's distress is the high conflict relationship between mom and dad.

I just won't understand how these two sentences:

"Yes her mother is a Hoarder. And her sisters daughter is a now cross gender man/woman.:

Automatically make the guy a bigot for mentioning it. I would have loved it if he explained the relevance of mentioning these things, but he didn't, and you inferred that he was raising it in judgement, while I inferred that he was simply stating that the kid has a lot of change going on in his life.

The point is, neither one of us can say exactly why the OP mentioned this, I would just rather wait for him to explain it, rather than drawing conclusions that he is a bigot.