Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiled View Post
And see, that's an absolutely ridiculous line of reasoning to me. My monthly expenses, to feed an additional two children, aged 6 and 8, for an extra 2 weeks will go up by perhaps $100.00. Everything else you've listed I'm paying for already regardless of whether or not the children are with me or not. 50/50 each household maintains a set of clothing for the kids, electricity usage doesn't stop when they leave, etc.

In addition to the usual reasoning's for volunteering for a deployment (serving the country, getting new experiences, etc) she is looking to use the 'tour bucks' to put together a down payment on a house. The biggest complaint the kids have about their time with her is that its in some crappy apartment that's falling apart with no yard to play in.

Now, lets outline what may occur for those 6-8 months... She may be shot at, deal with IED's, rocket attacks, and live in overall pretty crappy conditions. She will also not physically see her children for that entire time. She may on occasion be able to call or Skype.

So in addition to all of that, she should have an Ex-husband taking her to court to get child support? An ex husband who is apparently stupid enough to consider spending thousands at court, in order to obtain... Hmmm, lets see... 8 months of child support, and we'll be generous on the monthly rate, and say 1300... So $10,400.00. We'll err on the low end, and say it'll cost me $3000.00 to go to court for that, and another $3000.00 for her.

So in reality, I'll only get $7,400.00 from their mother. On the other hand, their mother will LOSE $13,400.00 from her household. $6000.00 of household funds have disappeared uselessly outside of the household, and definitely won't have benefited the kids at all. As well, we both know those figures are extremely low if she chose to fight it.

In that scenario, the only deadbeat really, would be me. Maybe the kids wouldn't realize it now, but when they're adults and understand these things they would look back at it, and regard me with disgust for taking advantage of their mothers situation like that.
Sounds like you have given this a lot of good thought. I am coming from the perspective of someone who doesn't know what it's like to have 50-50 or receive CS or even have a financially responsible ex, so I just looked at the basic unfairness of it on the surface. Sounds like the children have a lot to gain the way you are doing it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 AM

involveddad75 will become famous soon enough

On the topic of child support, it is interesting to note that all provinces but Quebec base the child support guidelines on only the payors income and not both parents income. In Quebec the calculations are much different. Mysupportcalculator.ca doesn't provide guideline tables as Quebec doesn't have guidelines like the rest of Canada.
What more the guidelines in all the provinces don't actually follow the divorce act which laid out the frame work of setting up guidelines. The divorce act states that any guidelines must ensure both parents have a financial responsibility to support their children. Once can argue that the guidelines people stomp around as being the right of the child are actually against the law as they are now. Whats more in Quebec the payments are much lower.
For instance I'm 50/50 parent going with the numbers right after trial in Ontario I was paying an offset of $439 dollars per month, if I were in Quebec that same payment would have been $72.