Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 PM

sadman is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for affordable lawyer in Ottawa

I've been watching this site for the past few months. I want to find a lawyer that isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg for a simple separation and uncontested divorce. I need a lawyer in Ottawa. Could anyone offer advice please?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 PM

sadman is on a distinguished road

Hello Oink,
Thanks for the lead. Not sure I understand your last two paragraphs.....I am dealing with a very abusive wife actually and am tired of her arrogance and ignorance, not to mention her drunkeness and statements like "I can get another man very easy..."
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadman View Post
Hello Oink,
Thanks for the lead. Not sure I understand your last two paragraphs.....I am dealing with a very abusive wife actually and am tired of her arrogance and ignorance, not to mention her drunkeness and statements like "I can get another man very easy..."
I think when you said simple separation agreement and uncontested divorce, you threw us for a loop. That would indicate you had a co-operative spouse.

Best case scenario:

You and your spouse hammer out an agreement together. You both hire lawyers to review and advise you (Independant legal advise). (lets say one hour @$400).

Then having a signed and witnesses separation agreement, you file for divorce and it isn't contested. Thats about $400 in court fees(depends on the province), and assuming you can have a friend serve your ex, a few more dollars to have the service verified.

Call it $1000.

Or worst case scenario, you can fight it out in court. Thousands of dollars for every day in court, including prep time.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM

firhill is on a distinguished road

00ps!!!!

Bit of a misread there.