Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 12:07 AM

auroradiem is on a distinguished road

I sent the info in a private msg.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Based on the information you have provided, I would think that your situation might be viewed as follows:

Your 16 yr old son is a child of the union/marriage.
You were in a common law marriage for 16 yrs. Your exCL spouse would be eligible for indefinite spousal support in applying rule of 65.

I don't think your first marriage has any relevance as you were separated for 25 yrs. For all intents and purposes the marriage ended when you entered into a common law relationship.

You have no minor children of your first marriage.

Even though you never legally filed for divorce, your current wife would likely be viewed as your "new" wife.

There is a wide variety of different settlements to consider. SS can be reviewed annually. Change in circumstance (retirement) can end SS.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 AM

House A : this house was purchased in '77 when I was 18, and my mother and I are tenants in common.
I was unable to get a mortgage on my own at that time because of my age.
My mother was more than a co-signer.
The house was purchased with the intention that my mother, my younger brother and myself live there.

My wife and I lived in the house with my mother and brother from 1982 until 1986.

We moved out into our own apartment when our oldest daughter was a year old (1986).

1989 my wife and I separated.

The only court proceedings we had were in reference to our three children and that was only to establish interim custody (joint) and access which has been very fluid and flexible over the years...girls lived with each of us for varying periods of time over the years. It was only an interim order so there was never any order for support either for child or spousal...we just worked it out to the best of our ability. There has never been anything other than that interim order.

From 1991 until 1995 my XCL and I lived in rented houses (2) with the girls.

1995 my mother injured herself at work and was not able to work so we (XCL myself and girls) moved back into the house that my mother and I jointly own.

1997 our son was born. (XCL and I)

1998 my mother moved into subsidized apartment because of multiple instances with my XCL (physical and verbal abuse).
She still resides in that apartment.
There were also instances of abuse in regards to my daughters.

By 2000 my daughters were living basically full time with their mother. I was unaware of a lot of it until the girls had moved out to their Mom's.

July 2012 made an offer on House B.

Sept 2012 sale closed.

Was living in the House B full time as of Sept 2012.

Wife moved into House B Jan 2013.

The rest of the time line is in my prev posts.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the information.

So you and your mother currently still own house A correct? Is house A rented out now?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 AM

House A is still owned by my Mom and me. I know that I provided a lot of information in previous posts and I know it's really confusing.

Quick Run down: I am living back in House A with my son and my wife. ( not his mom).

House B is now vacant.

House B was not suitable for long term living arrangements with my son living with us.

House A was the house that was referenced earlier re: XCL and locks being changed etc.

So in conclusion, House A is being occupied by me, my son and my wife.
House B is unoccupied at this time.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 AM

Btw by vacant I mean that no other people are living in that house. We still use the house. We spend the majority of the time at House A at this time.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM

Is there any way to ask for an extension before filing my Reply to the application I received? I need time to see if I can get a lawyer.