Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM

dadof1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks beentheretwice,

some answers to your post:
Mother lives less than 5 minutes from my house, same school bus that picked her up at mothers picks her up right in front of my house.
she started 1 on 1 counseling yesterday, will be very good for her low self esteem issues.
she has ben with me about 1 month now, so far so good, some bumps along the way but she follows my house rules pretty good. I pay her an allowance and for her to collect it, she has a list of chores she needs to complete, no chores, no allowance and since I had to sign for her cell phone and she pays me monthly for it, the phone would be mine also, so theres her motivation to do chores... OMG NO CELLPHONE!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!
she has brought home some gfs I wasn't overly pleased with, she has a bf, dating 2 months, asked if he could sleep over, said no, don't think it's appropriate, she was ok with that.
told her we will just take day by day
Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 PM

BeenThereTwice is on a distinguished road
Default Sounds positive...

With my own daughters one key thing I've done is to ensure we eat one meal together at the table at least 3 or 4 times a week. Kids always know if mom or dad is making dinner, and if they'll be eating in mom's kitchen or dad's kitchen. When in my basement kitchen I knock on the celing to as a "dinner bell" and they come pretty much right away and help get the table ready.

The dinner together (or weekend breakfast) provides an opportunity to just talk. I have found that my kids, especially my 15 year old, frequently come to the table with specific things that THEY want to talk about. Been doing this pretty consistently for 5+ years now, so it's become routine. It's REALLY made it MUCH easier to talk about all kids of things.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM

dadof1 is on a distinguished road

We eat a sitdown dinner every weekday night and we talk about whatever she wants to talk about, am a pretty good cook so she eats everything I put infront of her. She is responsible to set the table and get stuff out of fridge when she sees me start dinner, she is then responsible to clear the table and put everything back in fridge. on occasion I ask her to wash the dishes. On weekends we usually sit for lunch and chitchat.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM

BeenThereTwice is on a distinguished road
Default Sounds very similar to my own experience.

My girls seem to enjoy the conversation. Seldom in a hurry to get back to whatever else they are doing.

Doesn't change the fact though that at 15, your daughter, and my own, are both on the threshhold of moving on with their own lives. Perhaps not quite there yet, but it's coming quickly now.

In my case I'm thankful that there doesn't seem to be any "special boys" in the life of my 15 year old. Yet !!.. But it will come.

My mother has 6 sons (no daughters) and 17 grandchildren, of which 14 are girls and only 3 boys. 7 of the girls have now past their 16th birthday, so as a family the stories pretty much run the full range of what we might expect. Boys.. yes.. But no teenaged pregancies yet.. so that's a good thing.
Closed Thread