Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 PM

The Iceberg is on a distinguished road
Default whats happening?

Why is this forum sleeping? It used to be very busy here. Many senior member WITH knowledge left or come by only occasionally....maybe that could be why.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:08 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

IMO it has to do with the fact that some members prefered slinging mud at each other rather than posting any useful info or interpretations of the OP's questions.

Also the site is often the target of recurring troll attacks. ODF has lost some very useful members - some had extensive legal savy, others contributed with their empathy .... I miss all of it.

Again, this is just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceberg View Post
Why is this forum sleeping? It used to be very busy here. Many senior member WITH knowledge left or come by only occasionally....maybe that could be why.
Not many questions being asked that are "new" and people are getting information from other sources probably. As well, a lot of the nonsense in Family Law isn't happening "as much" as it used to. Thankfully some good case law has come about that has changed the games people played in the past.

Also, personal attacks are boring and a waste of one's time.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceberg View Post
I stop by from time to time. Usually it's because I'm looking for a specific answer.

I think it was hit on the head with the mud-slinging that has been endured by many a person here. I've also found myself increasingly angry with the "I call bs" stuff that has happened on many a thread I've read. People start out with genuine questions, then the regulars doubt everything about the new posters scenario, and then the mud slings.

In my personal experience, when regulars started questioning whether children need a medical/dental/psychiatric service when the OP only asked how to go about getting the cost covered through S7, I wonder how much help is actually being garnered?

The ongoing misogynistic statements that paint all female divorced parents as after a cash cow, a payout, a handout, or to keep the children from their daddy is exhausting. For myself, reading those statements are extremely discouraging, very anger-inducing and remind me far too much of the life left behind. It can be difficult to wade through the b-s I guess.

Just my opinion though.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

I agree. Too often attacks on posters are personal. These are " opinion" based on individual backgrounds and should be respected.

Better wording of responses would result in better communication. Therefore posters would not leave the forum because they are being attacked for their opinions. Whether those opinions run against another posters beliefs and standards they Be respected as their own opinions.

IMO
Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

I'm around. I find myself posting less though, it's true. There are fewer people coming to ask questions, fewer questions I know the answers to, and most questions I do know the answers to, I feel like I've answered already in the past, so the search function would turn them up.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:22 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

There are some pretty dreadful people who come on here from time to time who just want to tell everyone off. They don't stay very long.

I find it is quite peaceful on here lately. I always find it interesting to follow someone's story as they proceed through the courts and challenges.

I agree there is much information in the annals of this forum and many people indicate they use the search function prior to posting. With this in mind I assume that many people likely find the information they require without the need to post.

Our Mods have headed off some troublesome situations. A few weeks ago a woman was posing and her ex's new partner discovered the posts. Now that could have turned into high drama.

Quiet is good. After Halloween and before and during Christmas there will likely be a big flurry of posts on here. Again at the end of January when the overspending at Christmas comes on the visa bills.

It's a cycle.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:19 AM

Soiled is on a distinguished road

The problem with wanting people to use the search function, or telling people to use it instead of answering the question (not saying this has been happening, nor is it meant to be snarky), is that it can quickly kill a forum. Yes, a lot of the stuff has been asked and answered in the past, but things change over the years, and the answer to the question may have changed significantly since it was originally asked in say 2009. People will also think their situation is special and unique, and therefore different from the question asked previously. Of course it likely isnt, but in the midst of all their turmoil and drama it will sure seem that way.

Once things go down that road and the first reply is somebody going on about how the search bar could have answered that question, forums die. New posters will be too intimidated to ask questions for fear of being told to use search. No questions are being asked as everythings been answered already. Old timers stop coming by as frequently as there's nobody to pass on their knowledge to. And so on so forth. It's something I've seen with a few forums overs the years.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:59 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

being accused (with no proof at all) of posting under different names doesn't help. Being accused of being in a posse due to your agreement with some other posters kills it for me.

Last edited by standing on the sidelines; 10-27-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:02 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

The place took a huge hit to accurate knowledge when we lost Mess. Most others appear to be guessing - hence going back a couple of years for posted advice is likely a sound decision. Even I find myself directing private questions/messages back to past history for accurate answers.