Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road
Default What does: "until death do us part" mean to you?

or perhaps that phrase was not part of your vows?

I would anticipate that the majority of us voiced the traditional phrase - in sickness, health, for richer, poorer?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

hmmm ... don't recall stating anything about "till death do us part"

I believe "obey" was not part of our vows.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

We wrote our own vows, but they did have all the usual concepts covered, including that one.

I'm sure my ex meant them at the time, but it turns out my ex's word doesn't mean much.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 PM

I do remember while walking down the aisle with my father I was thinking "what the f++k am I doing?"
Old 07-28-2017, 03:07 AM

Aghast is on a distinguished road

lol. I was thinking the same think when I was watching my wife walk down the aisle.

goes to show...trust your instincts lol
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 AM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

So true, I read through some old journals before I was married, red flags everywhere! How stupid could I be? Of course, if someone had tried to talk some sense into me I probably wouldn't have listened anyways. You think you know everything in your 20's.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

What I do remember is that a few days before we got married my STBX said something that totally creeped me out. He commented that we would both have the same last name on our tombstones and be buried side by side. We were just starting our life and all he could think of was killing me off. He thought it was romantic. I found it disturbing. Turns out I was right,
Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 PM

Ange71727 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
or perhaps that phrase was not part of your vows?

I would anticipate that the majority of us voiced the traditional phrase - in sickness, health, for richer, poorer?

I don't like "til death do us part" at all. Vows should not be broken but saying I will be with you until my death is not realistic. If your spouse abuses you or cheats on you multiple times or does some other intolerable thing, the other spouse rightfully deserves an "out". My ex husband broke his vows but technically I broke them too by leaving him when I told him I'd be there until death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

My partner had the traditional vows minus the part about her obeying him (feminist and all). I remind him of the "in sickness and health" since she turfed him during a major illness.

This week my family went through a major emotional upheaval and my father tried to worm his way in and he did it disrespectfully. My one sibling tried to argue it away and I screamed "FORSAKING ALL OTHERS!!!" as he couldn't stop porking other women throughout their marriage!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
What I do remember is that a few days before we got married my STBX said something that totally creeped me out. He commented that we would both have the same last name on our tombstones and be buried side by side. We were just starting our life and all he could think of was killing me off. He thought it was romantic. I found it disturbing. Turns out I was right,
That is very strange. Don't know of anyone who thinks about death at time of their marriage.

You dodged a bullet in that you don't have to spend your old age with him. I remind myself of this whenever I need a wee pick-me-up.