Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
A good parent pays child support in a timely manner. No exceptions IMO.
In the real world, matters are rarely black or white.

Sometimes, it is useful in life to recognize people who are often incapable of independent rational thought. A good litmus test is to seek out the phrase "no exceptions". Almost without exception, it is safe to completely ignore anybody who makes a claim that a statement holds true without exception.

"No abortion, no exceptions"

"No tax is a good tax, no exceptions"

"Banks are evil, no exceptions"

If you cannot conceive of a situation where your reasoning fails, it is likely that you have not thoroughly thought through the subject.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

MY OPINION is that children come first wrt child support.

I have no pity/sympathy for deadbeats whatsoever. Deadbeats can appeal to the maintenance enforcement agency and/or have their orders changed.

Yes I have indeed thought this out. A deadbeat is a deadbeat.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 AM

Soiled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
A good parent pays child support in a timely manner. No exceptions IMO.
Guess I'm a poor parent then, having never paid child support once in nearly 4 years. The arrears might be closing in on $50 by now!

As stated before, nothings ever black and white like that statement implies. If I showed up each month at the Ex's door with a $1 cheque she would laugh. Well the first few months anyways, after which it would get old and doors would be closed in my face.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM

niagaramom is on a distinguished road
Default Inquiring Mind???

Soiled. Can we inquire as to why you have never paid child support?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Sure. Court order is for Offset Child Support. If I remember the figures right, she is to pay me $1072 per month, and I am to pay her $1073 per month. Offset amount of $1 per month, payable by me, to her.

Neither of us wanted child support in the agreement as we are both of the agreement we should be self supporting and involved in each others lives/finances as little as possible post divorce. However lawyers/judge forced us to put it in. We've chosen to ignore it. Perhaps one day it will bite me in the ass and she will come for it retroactively, but at this amount I'm not exactly scared.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:09 AM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiled View Post
Sure. Court order is for Offset Child Support. If I remember the figures right, she is to pay me $1072 per month, and I am to pay her $1073 per month. Offset amount of $1 per month, payable by me, to her.

Neither of us wanted child support in the agreement as we are both of the agreement we should be self supporting and involved in each others lives/finances as little as possible post divorce. However lawyers/judge forced us to put it in. We've chosen to ignore it. Perhaps one day it will bite me in the ass and she will come for it retroactively, but at this amount I'm not exactly scared.
And it's been like this for four years, without any annual adjustments? The amount may have changed, and be worth worrying about.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 AM

If I'm not mistaken, based on other threads I've read, you generally can't request retroactive adjustmenrs prior to the date at which they actually ask for the adjustment... Hopefully I wrote that in a manner which makes sense.

That aside, the reality is that for the last year or two I think she now makes a small amount more than me, and would possibly be on the hook for 2 or 3 bucks a month to me.

To spice it up further, she's in the military and likely headed to Iraq for 6-8 months in May. If I really wanted to be a dick and play games I'm sure it's possible to go after her for full rate child support, with her at a significantly higher than normal income level, for that period. As stated in my last post however, we both believe in being financially independent of each other.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Technically, if you both knew your income increased and you didnt advise then you acted in a blameworthy manner and retro could be awarded.

The bottom line is that cs is the right of the child and BOTH parents should be acting in a manner that benefits the children. Regardless of how you feel about being financially independent, the kids are still dependent on you both and should benefit from the changes in BOTH your incomes. Its a really loose argument and while it works for your situation, someone else reading that may say "well some anonymous poster on the internet said it was this way so thats how Im going to take it".
Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Technichally having an increase in income and not knowing about it would be extremely rare, so your argument could be applied against just about all cases.

That people can argue the case for a dollar or two per month without being tongue in cheek, choking, or rolling their eyes, speaks volumes about why lawyers love family law and make so much money off of it.

This has gone off on a pretty far tangent though. If I have the time later I may post my background story and then people can poke holes in how I'm doing things there.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:46 PM

niagaramom is on a distinguished road
Default Nice Agreement!

Soiled: Sounds like your situation is set. No use stirring the pot for a few dollars here and there. If everyone is happy, so be it. Wish my situation could be as simple!!