Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Soiled is on a distinguished road

Using the argument that taxpayers would be on the hook otherwise, doesn't really work in my opinion... If it were to be looked at from that perspective, justifying it as saving the taxpayer, then SS would have to be capped at welfare rates.

Not something I necessarily endorse, just that the argument wouldn't sway me if I were on the opposite end of the debate.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:40 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

welfare rates +++ (free/subsidized housing, free dental, free vision, free prescriptions, etc.). In many cases, this would amount to much more than many receive from SS.

This would only stimulate the construction industry as many housing units would have to be built. Tax payer would likely see a substantial increase in taxes to pay for this.

Why should tax payers pay for failed marriages? Tax payers already have to pay for other people's children (child tax credits).
Old 09-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Soiled is on a distinguished road

Please note I stated SS capped at welfare rates. Whatever that is.

Also, I'm all for these guys railing about SS pay for their Ex's, I sure don't want any more taxes to make up for their choices
Old 09-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiled View Post
Please note I stated SS capped at welfare rates. Whatever that is.

Also, I'm all for these guys railing about SS pay for their Ex's, I sure don't want any more taxes to make up for their choices

I wouldn't say welfare really has a cap... sure there is a monthly cap but as Arabian pointed out there are many other factors with welfare... the cost of medication is covered in welfare... some peoples meds can be over a thousand a month, dental? Free when on welfare (to a certain extent), again can run thousands depending what it is. I suppose this cap would work if it was written in that the payout also had to provide these additional benefits.

I'm with you, I don't want my tax dollars going towards people because of choices they made as a family unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

My father made an off handed comment to me a few years ago in relation to his cpp and income tax being garnished. I had no idea the govt had been able to do that. He stopped paying child support and spousal back in the early 90s and we made it through on our own dime. They ended up registering the $500 a month in ss he was to pay to my mother. He must have realized what he said and back tracked because I would have launched into him about all the money he saved (about $120,000 total) by disappearing when we were teens. He was content to have my mother at home with the kids because she would be too busy to catch him cheating and spending half his paycheque on booze and women. She went through hell raising us and divorcing him. No one can tell me my mother didnt deserve ss.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:35 PM

CoolGuy41 is on a distinguished road

I will recap what SS is for everyone here:
SS is one person being coerced into working in part for the benefit of another person.

There are no ethical grey areas there! SS is just plain wrong.

Most of the pro-SS arguments on this forum are straw man arguments that go like this:
(1) Woman suffered wrong X [insert some lame sob story completely unconnected to SS entitlement]; therefore
(2) Man should be wronged by SS.

I.e., the argument is that 2 wrongs make a right. In some cases the 2 wrongs might coincidentally be balanced. Does it justify a threat of post-sep enslavement against every married person who is a productive member of our society? Hell no!

In the hypothetical case of wife that had to following husband's military postings, the fallacy is "had to". She doesn't have to. She can stop any time. Husband cannot stop paying SS any time because because he is being coerced into it. This is simple.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

My ex wouldn't have had to pay SS for very long had he not absconded our business assets (which primarily were mine as I had financed the business for many years).

CoolGuy41 - you are obviously very young. Making blanket statements about an area that you know little about is, well, naive.

SS is determined on a case-by-case basis. Certainly, not everyone is entitled to it.

Also, don't forget that it isn't just women who are entitled to SS. There are many men who are entitled to SS. Also, society has evolved to acknowledge same-sex marriages. There are many cases on CanLii you can read about where SS entitlement was proven.

I had to chuckle when you mention "post-sep enslavement" LOL. I doubt you have paused for a second to consider those who were enslaved during the marriage. Actually you sound pretty red-neck and I don't think it would be a leap to imagine that your views on women are pretty dour... barefoot and pregnant... good enough to: fuck you, do your laundry, keep house clean, look after the kids, wait on you and your friends and, of course, look the other way while you're out whoring around with your pals.

Your idea of marriage commitment is simply: do it my way or hit the road...
Old 09-17-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Your idea of marriage commitment is simply: do it my way or hit the road...
Your idea of marriage is prostitution where all women are in a big huge union of prostitutes with a gold-plated severance package.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGuy41 View Post
Your idea of marriage is prostitution where all women are in a big huge union of prostitutes with a gold-plated severance package.
Clearly you had a piss poor lawyer who got you screwed over. Or you screwed your ex over and shes returning the favour. None of your arguments have swayed me to feeling any sympathy. In my opinion the system worked in your case.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
None of your arguments have swayed me to feeling any sympathy.
Well, there is no cure for stupid.

Quote:
In my opinion the system worked in your case.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.