Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2017, 04:32 PM

1ati2de is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post

I always thought that ss was determined case by case against some elements of the law and that many applicants had to demonstrate that they deserve it. Am I wrong?
WRONG! Its a way to get free money and almost always awarded in a similar situation as I put down. The "working" person gets screwed and the poor stay at home person gets paid. Reality and proven!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ati2de View Post
Let’s add more evidence of why you actually think SS is mandatory and Ill add in a little realty check into it, please add into the reality as one sees fit please.

Man and woman meets and get married, both at the age of 20. Man finds a job that pays well and works for a company that has great pay, benefits and on the job training, not much skill set that can be used in any other job. The woman stays home to have a have a family and raise the kids.

30 years go by and they both end the 30 year relationship, so let’s look at “working” vs “housewife”, same outcome as both are terminated after 30 years of service.

Working.

- 30 years of service for a company
- Never late, worked all the hours one could.
- Made the company lots of money.
- Liked his job and good employee.

Terminated after 30 years of working.

- 50 years of age, not many skills to offer as it was a repetitive job.
- Good case might get 4 weeks’ severance per year, 120 weeks of severance possible.
- Bad scenario is nothing can be offered $0.
- Go in the workforce at 50 years of age and look to start a career again.
- Most likely will have a hard time finding employment and will not make the same wage.
- Stressed and has to support his lifestyle.

Marriage.
- 30 years of dedication to my spouse and family.
- Enjoyed the good and the bad.
- Took care of the house and raised the family as my spouse worked.
- Love my family.

Divorcing after 30 years of marriage.

- 50 years of age, not many skills to offer as I was a housewife.
- 30+50 years of age, YES I’m getting paid for life! Ya baby!
- I get half plus money to live! Mo money, mo money, mo money!
- I can sit on my ass the rest of my life and get paid baby!
- I refuse to work and the judge/lawyers are going to agree!
- No stress here as I’m getting paid baby!
If your wife is 50 years old then she is not too old to retrain and reenter the workforce. Sure she is entitled to indefinite SS due the the "rule of 65" however if your circumstances are that of one who doesn't make much money then she may be entitled to indefinite nominal amount of money. If your wife has medical issues then that is an entirely different thing. Properly argued, the court would weight whether or not she can become self-sufficient... how much you earn.... how much equalization she receives... share of your pension and 30 years of savings. The whole idea is to equalize the two people. If your ex will never be able to make more than minimum wage then that income (minimum wage) is taken away from your average earnings over the past 3 -5 years. You can sweeten the deal by offering lump-sum and ending SS. There are many options, depending upon your circumstances.

At 50 you are hardly too old to find another job, particularly if the one you performed for 30 years required "repetitive" skills. At least you have work experience. Your wife, on the other hand, has none.

You are actually in a good position as you are unemployed correct? You will be grilled about, and expected to, prove you are actively looking for work. However, your wife has no "security for life" with someone in your situation. You have confidence and ability to make money. She does not. I think I'd prefer to be in your situation.

BTW - I do sympathize with your situation. But remember that whatever your wife receives will not be "free" money - she will have to pay dearly for it and should she find employment she will find herself in a situation where she has to pay plenty of tax on the money she receives from you. I hope she has a good financial adviser. Why should you care? Because her lawyer and the court will care and that, my friend, is where you will find yourself.... she very well could make more on paper than you do because the tax situation will be taken into consideration, particularly if/when she returns to work. If you have a competent lawyer this would be explained to you.

Last edited by arabian; 09-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:

30 years go by and they both end the 30 year relationship, so let’s look at “working” vs “housewife”, same outcome as both are terminated after 30 years of service.

Working.

- 30 years of service for a company
- Never late, worked all the hours one could.
- Made the company lots of money.
- Liked his job and good employee.

Terminated after 30 years of working.

- 50 years of age, not many skills to offer as it was a repetitive job.
- Good case might get 4 weeks’ severance per year, 120 weeks of severance possible.
- Bad scenario is nothing can be offered $0.
- Go in the workforce at 50 years of age and look to start a career again.
- Most likely will have a hard time finding employment and will not make the same wage.
- Stressed and has to support his lifestyle.

Marriage.
- 30 years of dedication to my spouse and family.
- Enjoyed the good and the bad.
- Took care of the house and raised the family as my spouse worked.
- Love my family.

Divorcing after 30 years of marriage.

- 50 years of age, not many skills to offer as I was a housewife.
- 30+50 years of age, YES I’m getting paid for life! Ya baby!
- I get half plus money to live! Mo money, mo money, mo money!
- I can sit on my ass the rest of my life and get paid baby!
- I refuse to work and the judge/lawyers are going to agree!
- No stress here as I’m getting paid baby!

What I am discussing here is what happens in the real world on both sides as we are viewing them as jobs/careers. Simple comparison:

“30 years working” vs “30 years housewife”

Still waiting for all the leaches to jump on this one yet still have not heard anything yet? Shocker!

I have stated the 2 scenarios of what happens in the working community, I have had friends at Stelco, Zellers, RBC and numerous small companies like a VHS movie manufacturing company. Many of the people working at these companies have never had the opportunity to acquire modern skills that are needed today. Ran outdated equipment, never advanced with technology, thought they could retire and did many repetitious jobs day in and day out. Very difficult to find any good paying job at 50 period, outdated/ repetitive experiences is not required today and don’t pay any decent wage.

However apparently the women here have stated lots of experience from what I read, you have stated your job is hard and I agree, so far your skills/job are as follows;

- Cooking
- Cleaning
- Run errands.
- Part time teaching assistant.
- Laundry

Well these are jobs that people do today for a living and get paid for and the spouce gets to leach off the other spouse. However the person that packed cartons, placed bolts on an assembly line, did a mediocre job for 30 gets nothing.

So why in both careers does the dickhead need to pay the bimbo for the rest of his life? What is acceptable about this? Both worked a job for 30 years, PROVEN they “both” are not going to find a good paying job with the experience they have. This happens all the time in ones career yet people find a way to support themselves.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

You made a choice to stay with someone who insisted on staying at home. You stayed for 20 years. You were complacent in this. You got yourself into this mess. If you had been married for say five years and left when the kids started school and she still refused to work and then were ordered to pay thousands a month for the rest of her life maybe I would feel sympathetic but you got the result you did because you were married for 20 years to someone who didnt go to work.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
You made a choice to stay with someone who insisted on staying at home. You stayed for 20 years. You were complacent in this. You got yourself into this mess. If you had been married for say five years and left when the kids started school and she still refused to work and then were ordered to pay thousands a month for the rest of her life maybe I would feel sympathetic but you got the result you did because you were married for 20 years to someone who didnt go to work.
You are completely missing the point! Hundreds of thousands have people in this world have and will have changed their careers, had to actually “work” a different job, start over, look for means to support themselves and their families. These hard working people don’t get sympathy because they worked one job for years; they don’t another human being to pay for one also. They need to support themselves, nowhere in the working community it this evident.

If someone chooses to stay at home, that the choice they make. No one can force anyone to work! Now I can cry to a lawyer and make more money to stay home? No one and I mean NO one needs to support this behaviour period. Slavery is the exact same as SPOUSAL SUPPORT! This is why it needs to be eliminated period.

Personally I feel sorry for all these individuals that pay SS and more so the ones that get lifetime… yet never deserved it. It’s completely unethical and proves the scum of the earth can win and this is what needs to change. Don’t know what to do, venues to peruse, but would definitely support in any way I could to eliminate it.
Sorry for the rant!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Simple answer to your question is ....................what was your hourly wage?

Can your ex get work earning same as your hourly wage or more?

You have "work experience" in workforce. She does not.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Simple answer to your question is ....................what was your hourly wage?

Can your ex get work earning same as your hourly wage or more?

You have "work experience" in workforce. She does not.
Makes absolutely NO difference what so ever. I have hired people with no experience at all, they care, work hard, need to pay the bills and are dedicated. Sorry no hand outs here as I don't employee people looking at resumes.

My EX sat on her ass and had nothing to do with what I make LOL including having a 10 year career in a job that still exists today. My new wife makes the same money as me, in a similar industry and less experience. Imagine that! As stated before I have no SS payments and done with her.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:05 PM

So you should have no problem whatsoever finding work.
If you don't pay your ex any money then what are you griping about? Was it a matter that she never requested any SS or did the court decide she was not entitled to receive SS and/or you had no ability to pay her?

So this time around you were more selective in choosing a mate. Perhaps she is younger than you and able to support you in your old age.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
So you should have no problem whatsoever finding work.
No personally I should be fine. However my lawyer stated that in court the judge will say that she is the reason I have advances in my career. LMFAO! So I called Revenue Canada and got all my tax statements and graphed them. My average work increase and year to year and never had a spike in the duration, I sustained my career. Started my career at 15 so she had nothing to do with that and was in management prior to marriage. My lawyer was intrigued with this finding however stated that the judge still might rule against you even with what you provided. Absolute joke that the system thinks my spouse is the reason I sustained a job. LOL!

Quote:
If you don't pay your ex any money then what are you griping about?
Spousal Support is a joke, it’s simply slavery for many people, misfits can easily get it and family law is above all laws. All, if not most women whine about my “job” I did for you and “your” child all these years. You owe me! Ok you got fired move on, your spouse/boss has terminated your employment. Yet for the years of service she is deemed unemployable? So would the person who serviced typewriter’s, made old rotary phones, manufactured newspapers, and worked assembly lines, worked on carburetors, on and on and on. These people’s skills are also deemed unemployable and yet have to seek employment, might apply for EI for 6 months and that’s it, however a spouse gets paid for life for her job? Seriously?

Quote:
So this time around you were more selective in choosing a mate. Perhaps she is younger than you and able to support you in your old age.
Sorry, she is older than me. I was more selective and quality is more important than age.

Reason I started this thread is to look at starting changes in society on how divorce is viewed, look for some way possible to start the change. Spousal Support is the only free ride in society today, its slavery, against people’s rights, and clearly not respected or viewed the same in any other aspects in life.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No personally I should be fine. However my lawyer stated that in court the judge will say that she is the reason I have advances in my career. LMFAO! So I called Revenue Canada and got all my tax statements and graphed them. My average work increase and year to year and never had a spike in the duration, I sustained my career. Started my career at 15 so she had nothing to do with that and was in management prior to marriage. My lawyer was intrigued with this finding however stated that the judge still might rule against you even with what you provided. Absolute joke that the system thinks my spouse is the reason I sustained a job. LOL!

Spousal Support is a joke, it’s simply slavery for many people, misfits can easily get it and family law is above all laws. All, if not most women whine about my “job” I did for you and “your” child all these years. You owe me! Ok you got fired move on, your spouse/boss has terminated your employment. Yet for the years of service she is deemed unemployable? So would the person who serviced typewriter’s, made old rotary phones, manufactured newspapers, and worked assembly lines, worked on carburetors, on and on and on. These people’s skills are also deemed unemployable and yet have to seek employment, might apply for EI for 6 months and that’s it, however a spouse gets paid for life for her job? Seriously?

Sorry, she is older than me. I was more selective and quality is more important than age.

Reason I started this thread is to look at starting changes in society on how divorce is viewed, look for some way possible to start the change. Spousal Support is the only free ride in society today, its slavery, against people’s rights, and clearly not respected or viewed the same in any other aspects in life.

Did you take parental leave or did she take all the leave?

Did you take time off work when the children were sick or did she take the time off?

Did you take the children to their medical appointments or did she take them?

Sorry but most men think they help out equally but the truth is they don't.

If she stayed home and did all this she did support your career. No one said you had to have a huge jump in income to show she supported you but the fact you didn't suffer any disadvantages in your career because she did what was required for the children is what SS would be based on.

I think the only thing that's going to change when/how spousal support is paid out is time. There are more two income families now a days than there were in the past. Most families can't afford for one spouse to stay home full time, so SS will be a none issue. But men also have to step up and make the change in their families. They are entitled to parental leave and they need to start taking it. You can't always blame the women when the men themselves don't have the balls to stand up to their wives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk