Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Moolight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynGreis View Post
anything over 3k a month is excessive. anything beyond that is just a lavish lifestyle.

no wonder why men have very little trust in women these days, it just seems there out to get money from us for marriage and child support.
SynGreis, the thing is that even these days Men on average make more money than women. If it was revearse you would see the same behaviour from men.

In my case, I was not making more money than my ex but he manage to lose his job by cause. He did so much litigation that I paid him SS, not CS because I do have the children but he also got away from paying CS.

I even on gave him a lump sum to settle the equalization when in fact he was owning me some. Greed is not sex gender and more all money I gave him put me in debt and none of it goes towards the children.

Neithless to say, he estranged himself from the children but kept claiming PAS. I tried to help him with the children but it was a lost cause and making things worst. The only way to end this was to pay him off to end a 2 1/2 years litigation with over 100k lawyers fee. Even judes were loosing patient. For example, I took me over a year just to buy him out the house. While that is what he had requested, he wanted a price higher than the value from which I had to go higher just to get him to agree and then he was refusing to abandon his rights on the house.

A judge even tried to explain to him that was the only way for me to buy out the house and to settled this, he still refused but wanted the money. At that point Judge close the file and refused to hear him further.

I tried everything to settled by in vain. I realize that to pay him off to get rid of him was the only way. In my last SC, i beleive that is why the Judge push to give me Sole custody when it was not even in my claim. Surprisely he went for it as long he was getting money.

Last edited by Moolight; 01-13-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Moolight is on a distinguished road

Base on I would not trust more a man on that matter. Money and divorce are a bad combination, when greed take place you can not reason one bit with other party, they only see $$ and want it all.

On the other hand if everything works well, you can accomplish great things totheger.

Is the risk worth it, well this is where you have to decide if you can afford to loose some.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Remove gender from the equation completely.

How can ANYONE think a 10 million dollar buy-out for a failed marriage is not enough, and want more?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

It's all numbers. Super high income = super high living expenses. Wealthy have costs that average person can't even fathom. Private aircraft being one. If the wife was accustomed to travelling that way for the better part of the marriage then she can probably expect to continue to do so for the remainder of her life. Legal bill alone is probably sitting at over 2 mil. Big payday for the lawyers. I believe it is an interim award and will drag out for years.

Totally another world. Ah well, I'm off to Wallmart today for a while..... such is my life.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM

SynGreis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchedotis View Post
Remove gender from the equation completely.

How can ANYONE think a 10 million dollar buy-out for a failed marriage is not enough, and want more?
hell 1 million and ill never need money ever again.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
...Private aircraft being one. If the wife was accustomed to travelling that way for the better part of the marriage then she can probably expect to continue to do so for the remainder of her life. ....
Except that she agreed that the end of the marriage meant the end of that life style.

However she was a liar, saying yes to whatever to keep the money (that she had nothing to do with earning) rolling in, and the courts support her deceit, and in the process, play nanny to adults who they deem are not responsible for their own actions and agreements.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Not everyone agrees that in ending a marriage the lifestyle ends. If anything I believe the justice felt that the woman was entitled to maintain her previous lifestyle. This wasn't a fly-by-night marriage. I believe it was of a long-term nature 30 yrs. I believe the compensatory portion of the SS entitlement alone would be substantial.

And yes it is indefinite. Sounds like hubby should have made a better offer to settle. Actually we don't know anything, this might be a good deal for both of them. For us mere mortals 175 k amounts to a few million a year of fully taxable income. 2 mill a year isn't a lot for some people.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Not everyone agrees that in ending a marriage the lifestyle ends. ....
She did, in writing.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Nobody knows the circumstances of 30 yrs ago. My speculation is that the wife didn't know the extent of wealth she was signing away. Family could have taken many, many steps to protect the family coffers.

Obviously there is more to the case than what was written in the newspaper. I can't see a judge arbitrarily awarding this unless there was good reason. No-brainer that the judge is aware these parties have enough money to appeal the decision.

I believe this family had another big law suit some years ago between the heirs. It's not like they don't get ample legal advice.

Interesting just the same.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

From the VANCOUVER SUN:
http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/s...tml?id=7812287

"At its heart lies a marriage contract said to have been imposed by Michael McCain's late father, Wallace McCain, who co-founded McCain Foods.

Court documents show the elder McCain threatened to disown his children if their spouses did not sign away their rights to spousal support and some business assets in exchange for a cash payout and some properties including the matrimonial home.

In her ruling, Ontario Superior Court Justice Susan Greer said that while the agreement may have seemed fair to Michael McCain when it was signed in 1997, over time it had become "unconscionable."

What's more, she said the agreement was achieved under "subtle and psychological" duress because refusing it would have meant significant financial penalties for the couple.

"How could the wife possibly have refused to sign under those circumstances?" Greer wrote in her decision, which dealt only with the issue of spousal support and not the pision of assets.

She said it would have been impossible for Christine McCain to foresee what her situation would be in the future without spousal support.

The couple married in 1981 and had five children, now between the ages of 19 and 26, according to the documents. Christine McCain stayed at home after their birth and said in an affidavit that she left financial matters to her husband during their marriage." (That's just an excerpt)

**Obviously the Judge did not see Christine McCain as a "Liar"** etc

Last edited by hadenough; 01-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Closed Thread