Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure why the ultra rich ever get married, there must be cheaper ways for getting everything that you would get from a marriage, but for much less.

Hell, I'm not even sure why anybody gets married to a lower-income spouse, but that's another story entirely
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 AM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Janus: I'm not sure why anyone gets married at ALL!

Maybe a switch gets flipped and these super-rich ppl think "ahh f*ck it - I can afford to get married and divorced as many times as I want."

And hmmm, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are not exactly "faithful" either. So they truly can "have it all." For the political types, it's a much better image for them to be married and a "family man" with integrity and values.

Hey, Britney Spears was paying Kevin Federline several thousand per month after their split. Works both ways but obviously there are more men paying SS than there are women.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 AM

SynGreis is on a distinguished road

yes but they had more then 1 child together. several thousand dollars is acceptable because of more then 1 child and the other parent clearly has the means to do so.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
Janus: I'm not sure why anyone gets married at ALL!
To be honest, my advice for my children will be to never get married to anybody who has a lower income, under any circumstances.

Of course, if the reverse is true, then get married, and get married fast. Marriage is awesome for the unskilled and the lazy. Since those descriptors will hopefully not apply to my children, then, as I said, I will strenuously urge them to avoid marriage if they can help it in any way.

Frankly, my daughter is probably wasting her time becoming smart and educated. Financially speaking, it is probably more profitable to be the type of woman that rich men appreciate (and marry), so she can divorce them and reap the rewards. Hopefully after at least one kid, so she can really get the big bucks. I read about a finishing school recently in the paper, perhaps I should look into that.

If she marries some stupid guy who doesn't have the skills the compete in the evolving marketplace, she could be stuck supporting him after he has an affair and leaves her. She doesn't need to deal with that type of nonsense.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 AM

SynGreis is on a distinguished road

my position with marriage is its a sacred union between 2 people coming together. I dont need a piece of paper to tell me im married for the sake of allowing government to meddle into my private affairs.

You want to keep your own stuff? get married in your backyard and invite your friends. Dont bother with a stupid piece of paper. Its not the job for government to know if your married or not. you go in with what you and go out with what you have. if you got property that BOTH of you contributed then you split the equity. settled.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Common law is better than marriage, but you can still get stuck with paying spousal support to cheaters, schemers or the unskilled... or paying support for children that aren't biologically yours.

Agreed with the rule not to cohabit or marry someone of lesser financial status. My mantra is that I want a PARTNER, and that we can both contribute to all areas of the relationship as equally as possible.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
I'm not sure why the ultra rich ever get married, there must be cheaper ways for getting everything that you would get from a marriage, but for much less.

Hell, I'm not even sure why anybody gets married to a lower-income spouse, but that's another story entirely
One word answer.

Lust.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

The amount of SS order does not bother me in the least.

Marriage is a good or bad wealth sharing contract, that has some financial obligations after separation.

BUT they had another contract, a prenup, that explicitly stated what they agreed to, which was not monthly spousal, but the equivalent of almost 10 million dollars in a lump sum (plus in this case, 30 years of lavishly living off of her husband).

The fact that the judge set parts of that contract aside, is an insult to thinking adults everywhere. Dare I say that it even reflects poorly on women, that they are not responsible enough to enter into a contract.

It is an unfortunate state of affair if adults cannot enter into agreements, for fear that the court may put it aside later. To say that she signed it under duress, is pure BS, as she lived with it for 30 years, and of course ended up a multimillionaire for her troubles.

I am amazed that the courts takes away my right to enter a contract with someone. It diminishes us all.

Even if I marry again, or go common law, and even if my partner has more than me, I would want to enter in a prenup that overrides the matrimonial home sharing BS, and spousal support, and a few other things so that we could be adults that want to take care of each other, but still keep our individuality and we are ultimately responsible to take care of ourselves.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

The amount the McCain woman receives now in SS will likely not even cause a blimp in the overall finances of the company fortune.

Being in a high profile marriage likely has extraordinary expectations.

I would speculate that a large chunk of the award will go to pay for security services. Upkeep on large mansions can't be cheap. Annual trips to plastic surgeons also has a steep price tag.

Ah the life of the rich and famous. Something hard for me to imagine.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

@Arabian: ohhh it's a "blimp" alright, lol I know you meant to say "blip."
Closed Thread