Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Expansion projects in the oil sands are being delayed or indefinitely postponed while oil proces are low - which to me is a good thing, development up there has been like a runaway train trying to get the stuff out of the ground as fast as possible, and anything which creates a bit of breathing room is welcome. I think Alberta is in for some culture shock, as people who are used to $300K incomes from oilpatch jobs have to downsize their expectations. Perhaps we won't be seeing quite so many brand-new shiny extended-cab Ford trucks at every stoplight.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:55 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Expansion projects in the oil sands are being delayed or indefinitely postponed while oil proces are low - which to me is a good thing, development up there has been like a runaway train trying to get the stuff out of the ground as fast as possible, and anything which creates a bit of breathing room is welcome. I think Alberta is in for some culture shock, as people who are used to $300K incomes from oilpatch jobs have to downsize their expectations. Perhaps we won't be seeing quite so many brand-new shiny extended-cab Ford trucks at every stoplight.
I agree, it is a bad thing for a many but it positively affects many more. to me the oil industry is another example of the rich get richer. If people would learn to live the simple life, a job loss would not effect them near as much as it does. This doesn't just go for the oil industry, it goes for every job out there. Many people live outside their means and rely on credit to get them by and then when life throws them a curve ball they lose their job, their house, their vehicles and their lives. Everyone is replaceable and nothing is forever.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
Many people live outside their means and rely on credit to get them by and then when life throws them a curve ball they lose their job, their house, their vehicles and their lives. Everyone is replaceable and nothing is forever.
Absolutely - one of my favorite TV shows is Doomsday Preppers. The show is about American families who, for whatever reason, feel the need to prepare for every catastrophe that life could throw at them. These are extreme (paranoia) measures of course, but the basic idea is sound.

What happens when you get laid off, divorced, injured, power goes out for 2 weeks etc? It makes sense to have a backup plan especially in today's free-for-all economy. Most people are living pay check to pay check and are up to their wazoos in debt. It makes sense to have something to fall back on in a SHTF situation.

I garden, preserve food, and have long term supplies just in case. Came in real handy when Ex and I separated. No need for tin hats and ammo though, just some kind of plan B to keep out of debt when the money is scarce.