Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Sure makes for interesting pre election and pre budget strategy. What goes up must come down. I remember being to,d that we would never see 10% mortage rates again and now they are 3%.

If we could predict the future we would have won the lottery.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnana View Post
Sure makes for interesting pre election and pre budget strategy. What goes up must come down. I remember being to,d that we would never see 10% mortage rates again and now they are 3%.

If we could predict the future we would have won the lottery.
Nobody can predict what will happen ... but if we don't aggressively manage our energy needs we won't have a future. I for one would rather go to work using a bloody horse and carriage than have to spend the rest of my life wearing a gas mask and eating "soylent-green".

http://youtu.be/9IKVj4l5GU4
Old 01-27-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
Nobody can predict what will happen ... but if we don't aggressively manage our energy needs we won't have a future. I for one would rather go to work using a bloody horse and carriage than have to spend the rest of my life wearing a gas mask and eating "soylent-green".

http://youtu.be/9IKVj4l5GU4
Of course. Was not disputing that point. When China was preparing for the Olympics in Bejing they had to deal with the pollution in the city and they did so by banning everyone for 1 day a week from using their vechicle. So on different days different people could not use their vechicles. That small reduction cleaned up the Pollution issue in Beijing, so can you imagine if everyone did that.

I only use my vehicle 4 times per week as that is the number of times I travel into town from my home. I plan my week to coincide with commitments. If I have too many commitments and have to travel more than 4 times I reduce the following weeks travelling. I did this because when I moved out to the Lake I found my gas costs unaffordable, so now the savings have added up and I use less gas to boot.

Have you ever travelled on the southern Ontario hiways and been the only one travelling in the fast lane for cars with more than 1 passenger. Why do people not car pool. A much friendlier way to go to work. Someone to talk with and you all save. But very few do.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnana View Post

Have you ever travelled on the southern Ontario hiways and been the only one travelling in the fast lane for cars with more than 1 passenger. Why do people not car pool. A much friendlier way to go to work. Someone to talk with and you all save. But very few do.
Good point Beachnana. My neighbors own 3 cars (one for each family member) a couple of 4 wheeler's and a boat to pollute the lake with. I'm not jealous, it's their business how they spend their own money. My problem is with people who don't give a $hit about their own carbon footprint and the impact it has on everyone's environment.

We all have to breathe the same air (at least for now). Heck I'm 56 years old and can manage to go get my groceries with a bicycle. In the winter I shop with a friend (saves money and gas).

It all boils down to being mindful .... (I'll get off my soap box now - this issue is important to me)
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 PM

I do live on a lake and I do have a boat, but I try and do,what I can. i have a landry ball which means I do not need to use washing detergent. I do not use any bleaches and we do not spray for weeds, because I so not want all that crap going into the lake.

My point is if we can all change a few things it will make an impact.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Why kill the weeds when you can smoke 'em
Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Down side is the amount of jobs that are going to be lost though - this effects people across the country as many people work in oil service industry, not just on the rigs. I shudder to think about people losing their jobs and being stuck with big mortgages and homes they can't sell. In the early 80's Alberta suffered tremendous economically whith the Federal Liberals and their National Energy Policy. MANY people lost their homes and businesses. People haven't forgotten the wide-spread economic devastation of the Liberals. I remember our first home mortgage jumped to 18% paying upwards of 22% for equipment loans. IT was insane.
there is a downside to high gas prices also, the tourism industry suffers.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Economically and enviromentally canada is probably better off with high gas prices even when considering all the spin off benefits of low gas prices....

I wonder actually now that prices are low people will drive more thus causing more pollution but what about
The reduction of the oilsands shouldnt this situation be enviromentally bet net positive?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 PM

I don't think that people will change their usual habits because prices are low - most are just happy for the extra $$$ every week. You can bet that the cost of gas will go way up once vacation time comes around ...
McGill professor heads ‘ecofiscality’ committee studying ways to tax pollution | Montreal Gazette
Old 01-27-2015, 09:56 PM

childrenand happy is on a distinguished road

I honestly think gas prices well go lower yet. Listening to people speak this isnt going to resolve it self any time soon. I see this lasting a year or more. Maye 75 dolar oil by Christmas. And there is a greener solution Natural gas. just my 2 cents.